News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

To put things into perspective...

I wasn't even alive back in '93, I got no clue what the island squatters are about (and I guarantee I am a more educated voter than 90% of this city), and I am of voting age this election.

Whatever it is, it definitely is not something that is a pressing election issue. I don't know of any vilification of Bob Rae, but Mike Harris and McGuinty governments left a terrible taste in the mouth even though I was but a small child under the Harris government.

The only blight from the past that could impact this election is Chow/Layton "living under subsidized co-op housing" during the 90s, and despite Sara Thomson's insistence, it hasn't made any impact on this election or people's opinions of Chow. If that doesn't, some unrelated island squatter non-issue from '93 definitely won't make noise.

For the ...th time, Chow lived in market-value housing.

Also, I'm pretty sure the market-value co-op thing happened in the '80s. The fact that so many of these scandals that are supposed to destroy Chow happened more than 20 years ago is just embarrassing for the Right. They've got a strong candidate in John Tory but instead of wholeheartedly backing him they keep dredging up shit that happened before The Lion King came out in theatres.

Also, I'm pretty sure the market-value co-op thing happened in the '80s. The fact that so many of these scandals that are supposed to destroy Chow happened more than 20 years ago is just embarrassing for the Right. They've got a strong candidate in John Tory but instead of wholeheartedly backing him they keep dredging up shit that happened before The Lion King came out in theatres.

Ummmm, maybe because it works......the Liberals weren't calling Hudak another Mike Harris for nothing.......

Ummmm, maybe because it works......the Liberals weren't calling Hudak another Mike Harris for nothing.......

Suggesting a politician will enact policies that haven't worked in the past ≠ suggesting someone is unfit for office because they lived in an apartment that was too cheap 25+ years ago.

Just curious, but it was mentioned that polling was done in the last week and no results were given. Is there any idea of which particular candidate didn't like what they learned?

True, Ford shouldn't be elected. I am worried about Kouvalis/Tory winning though. I'm eager to shut them out. Soks is now easily my first choice (Chow being a somewhat distant second, but still much preferable to Tory or Ford)

The fact that Tory even hired Kouvalis shows Tory's bad judgement and that he has no integrity and is willing to win at any cost. Everybody knows from the last election that Kouvalis has no integrity at all. He is willing to lie, cheat and intimidate, to get what he wants. Even besides that, I just don't see Tory as a leader with good judgement. He rules by opinion polls.

Safest way to get elected, stay elected and get re elected.

Pretty much. Welcome to the world of politics. And Torontovibe, Tory does want to win and he hired people who know how to win like Nick Kouvalis and Tom Allison. If I were running for a high political office like Mayor of Toronto, I would hire people who know how to win, as well. That's just how this game works.

Really...you think that the 18/20 year olds sitting around the breakfast listening to their parents wax eloquent about "the Island squatters" in '93 will have no effect on their view today? Just as it had no effect when those parents were doing the same thing hearing their grandparents harp on it in 71/72?

By the time we get to the 1993 version thereof, the kinds of kids who "inherited" their parents POV re the "Island squatters" have by and large voted with their feet and departed for places like Barrie or Orangeville, where they don't have to grapple with pro-squatter leftys, traffic jams, racial diversity, hipsters, Pride celebrations hogging all of the oxygen, etc. Most of the rest have learned to live and let live--and their parents' grumping was little more than that: parents grumping.

By the time we get to the 1993 version thereof, the kinds of kids who "inherited" their parents POV re the "Island squatters" have by and large voted with their feet and departed for places like Barrie or Orangeville, where they don't have to grapple with pro-squatter leftys, traffic jams, racial diversity, hipsters, Pride celebrations hogging all of the oxygen, etc. Most of the rest have learned to live and let live--and their parents' grumping was little more than that: parents grumping.

Here, here. Growing up in Scarborough in the '80s and 90s, I often heard of the white, conservative families leaving for Pickering and Barrie because they didn't like all the immigrants coming in. I have to say, Scarborough is much improved since they left.

And their kids are coming back to the city because in 2014 sitting in 2 + hours of traffic is not a option.
Pretty much. Welcome to the world of politics. And Torontovibe, Tory does want to win and he hired people who know how to win like Nick Kouvalis and Tom Allison. If I were running for a high political office like Mayor of Toronto, I would hire people who know how to win, as well. That's just how this game works.

Agreed. The game is the game. That's why so many people on this board would be bad at it.

So the mayor's race is now a statistical dead heat according to Forum...
Chow 29
Tory 28
Ford 27
We are seeing erosion in Chow support
Ford has static support
Tory coming up the middle?
I think you are going to see a kingmaker come forward in Stintz (6%) throwing her support behind either Tory or Ford...most probably Ford considering she has been selling herself as the female Ford with less controversy...
Soknacki at 5% I think is still in it for the long haul hoping for a "Nenshi"..his voter recognition is still only 66% so he has room to grow and as he becomes more recognized his policy positions will come to the fore forcing the frontrunners to be specific in their positions
Too bad the Star didn't show the demos of the 1063 interviewed...it would sure be nice to know...and secondly does Forum use the Statscan model for "Factors asociated with voting"

Last edited:
So the mayor's race is now a statistical dead heat according to Forum...
Chow 29
Tory 28
Ford 27
We are seeing erosion in Chow support
Ford has static support
Tory coming up the middle?
I think you are going to see a kingmaker come forward in Stintz (6%) throwing her support behind either Tory or Ford...most probably Ford considering she has been selling herself as the female Ford with less controversy...
Soknacki at 5% I think is still in it for the long haul hoping for a "Nenshi"..his voter recognition is still only 66% so he has room to grow and as he becomes more recognized his policy positions will come to the fore forcing the frontrunners to be specific in their positions
Too bad the Star didn't show the demos of the 1063 interviewed...it would sure be nice to know...and secondly does Forum use the Statscan model for "Factors asociated with voting"

I thought Stintz and Ford hate each other.

If Soknacki has 66% recognition, that means he could reach 7.5% support if he has 100% recognition.

btw - thanks for the link to the story.

I thought Stintz and Ford hate each other.

If Soknacki has 66% recognition, that means he could reach 7.5% support if he has 100% recognition.

btw - thanks for the link to the story.

Be nice, I'm a luddite, I haven't figured out how to link...you know right click..cut/paste...export...right click...import It is all too much for my feeble brain...and it never works for me....

Back