News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

i'm seriously asking this...

is there some way for urban toronto to host a debate?

i'd love to see one moderated by one/some of us.

I have to wonder what role some of Ford's support in the Black community has to do with the passing on of left-wing Black community leaders, people like Dudley Laws and Charles Roach. As my friend Stuart Parker (nephew of Harry Jerome) puts it, where are the "justice for Anthony Smith" protests? (I don't agree entirely with his characterization of TO by the way):

http://stuartparker.ca/justice-for-anthony-smith/
A lot

Rob is a bit of a father figure, believe it or not. The volunteering, the football, etc.

Does Ezra Levant support him? I pay no attention to Sun News.

Maybe I am reaching, but one reason this is the case is because he is homophobic and the countries they come from are very anti-gay. In Jamaica, a man gets 10 years in jail just for being gay (no punishment for women though).

I'm not at all surprised that Jamacians would be so supportive of Ford. Jamaicans are easily susceptible to the social hysteria that people like Rob Ford thrive on. That island is beyond screwed.

Just my opinion as someone who has spent significant time on the island and has family there.

This is anecdotal obviously, but:

I go to a black barber shop with lots of Jamaican immigrants and when Ford is mentioned, one of the barbers immediately rants how Ford is the "best mayor ever".

I'm at a restaurant with early Ford crack news on the TV. The owner says Ford is an idiot and one of the chefs (who I think had a Jamaican or Caribbean accent and was black) immediately defended him and blamed the media.

Co-workers who are Chinese immigrants seem to tend to love Ford.

We've all seen footage of Ford going into apartment buildings in Etobicoke and getting tons of love.

I go to a black barber shop as well. To the barbers there Ford is nothing more than a clown. He certainly doesn't have their support.

Also they aren't particularly homophobic either. There are a few obviously gay men that frequent the barber and they seem to enjoy their company quite a bit. Last time I was there they were talking supportively about WorldPride TO for a large part of my visit.

The only homophobic incident I've had there was with a customer who clearly has some kind of mental illness. He comes in there regularly spewing religious nonsense about gays and government conspiracies. The barbers obviously aren't very comfortable with his presence, but they tolerate it (likely to avoid confrontation). I guess the other homophobes there have the sense to keep their mouth shut.

I go to a black barber shop as well. To the barbers there Ford is nothing more than a clown. He certainly doesn't have their support.

Also they aren't particularly homophobic either. There are a few obviously gay men that frequent the barber and they seem to enjoy their company quite a bit. Last time I was there they were talking supportively about WorldPride TO for a large part of my visit.

The only homophobic incident I've had there was with a customer who clearly has some kind of mental illness. He comes in there regularly spewing religious nonsense about gays and government conspiracies. The barbers obviously aren't very comfortable with his presence, but they tolerate it (likely to avoid confrontation). I guess the other homophobes there have the sense to keep their mouth shut.

To be fair it was one barber out of several, and the others don't really seem to care much about politics.

I'm not at all surprised that Jamacians would be so supportive of Ford. Jamaicans are easily susceptible to the social hysteria that people like Rob Ford thrive on. That island is beyond screwed.

Just my opinion as someone who has spent significant time on the island and has family there.
Your black? So am I. Parents from Ghana :)

He also probably has the "old white" vote as well though.

To my surprise his super old vote isn't very strong in the latest poll
Ford: total 27%, (18-34) 33%, (35-44) 23%, (45-54) 28%, (55-64) 25%, (65+) 22%
Tory: total 28%, (18-34) 12%, (35-44) 36%, (45-54) 27%, (55-64) 35%, (65+) 41%
Chow:total 29%, (18-34) 32%, (35-44) 27%, (45-54) 29%, (55-64) 28%, (65+) 29%
Ford rates below Tory and Chow from anyone above 55 and a lot by those over 65. So thumbs up to the gray hairs.

When Forum does a poll, why don't they ask "Has your opinion changed since [date of last poll]?" The analysis of their numbers always suggests an electorate whose opinion is in constant flux, changing every couple of weeks. But if they added that question, we could get a better idea if they're just sampling slightly different slices of the city every time.

I think they do ask different people, but numbers do flux a bit, that's normal. Going up or down by 2 or 3 is expected. Average and trend is much more important. For the longest time Ford approval was in the mid 40s (45ish) and it stayed there for a long time. It might go up by 3 to 48% which brings the predictable headline "Ford approval spike" but almost like clockwork the next poll will show Ford back to the mid 40s. It's just regular fluctuation of a number. In early May that changed (second crack tap/rehab) when it dropped to low 30's (the new normal) that could be claimed as a drastic change. Since then low 30s is his common number (28-33)

Ford rates below Tory and Chow from anyone above 55 and a lot by those over 65. So thumbs up to the gray hairs.

lol @ "super old vote" :)

Maybe they don't approve of his crack smoking ways.

Those are some interesting stats. Tory does terribly with young people, but makes it up in middle-aged & old. I'm surprised Ford does so well with the young.

Those are some interesting stats. Tory does terribly with young people, but makes it up in middle-aged & old. I'm surprised Ford does so well with the young.

They're uninformed. It frustrates me to no end. Thankfully the young people I know who support Ford are also the ones who are too lazy/unengaged to go and vote.

I think they do ask different people, but numbers do flux a bit, that's normal. Going up or down by 2 or 3 is expected. Average and trend is much more important. For the longest time Ford approval was in the mid 40s (45ish) and it stayed there for a long time. It might go up by 3 to 48% which brings the predictable headline "Ford approval spike" but almost like clockwork the next poll will show Ford back to the mid 40s. It's just regular fluctuation of a number. In early May that changed (second crack tap/rehab) when it dropped to low 30's (the new normal) that could be claimed as a drastic change. Since then low 30s is his common number (28-33)

lol @ "super old vote" :)

Maybe they don't approve of his crack smoking ways.

They're uninformed. It frustrates me to no end. Thankfully the young people I know who support Ford are also the ones who are too lazy/unengaged to go and vote.

Some people like Ford because of the crazy, the media attention the hollywood lifestyle. Dead serious, a girl I know told me that she wants to see him reelected because he's hilarious.

Back