News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The main problem is this: despite rolling eyes at BurlOak, the leading candidate is against LRTs. If John Tory is elected, the Finch and Sheppard LRTs are dead in the water, and it will have been the second time in 4 years that Toronto voters have rejected LRTs. What happens at that point? Do we cave and build Sheppard East? Do we do nothing? Because clearly outside this forum and major blogs the support for LRTs is 50/50 at best.

The main problem is this: despite rolling eyes at BurlOak, the leading candidate is against LRTs. If John Tory is elected, the Finch and Sheppard LRTs are dead in the water, and it will have been the second time in 4 years that Toronto voters have rejected LRTs. What happens at that point? Do we cave and build Sheppard East? Do we do nothing? Because clearly outside this forum and major blogs the support for LRTs is 50/50 at best.

Yes, but there's been a lot of misinformation about what LRTs actually are spread by somebody with a very large megaphone.

SmartTrack is really just a rehashing of GO expansion plans, it will get built. However, it obviously has to include all GO lines not just two of them. As far as I can tell SmartTrack is just a marketing thing to make his GO expansion plans look sort of like the DRL.

From what I see SmartTrack is John Tory's way plan to cancel the Relief Line and replace it with nothing, without actually saying that.

We build nothing on Sheppard or Finch.

Tory will propose SmartTrack and it will be rejected by the Provincial government. Since Tory will also cancel Finch West and Sheppard East in his time as mayor, the Province will now have the money to fund the DRL.

I'll take that outcome.

Hasn't it been proven in the past that many Ford Nationers are life-long Liberal supporters?

There are a fair number of conservative Liberals out there. Anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, never too many cops on the streets, the whole nine yards. Jimmy K is but one example of them. I met more than a few when I was knocking on doors in YSW. I would guess many of them would choose Ford in a heartbeat.

Really? What was the proof of that?

I think some of Ford Nation would be aligned with the Tories in terms of social/cultural conservatism, but since the Liberals are the closest of the three main parties to being a 'big tent', Fordites might also support some of the more fringe elements in the Liberal party, such as Karygiannis, Ruprecht, Wappel (the 'you didn't vote for me, so why should I help you?' guy).
I posted an article here a while back lemur, but it showed how many people who supported the Liberals in the provincial election support ford. One lady was volunteering for the Liberals and went to work for the Ford campaign after the election.

We build nothing on Sheppard or Finch.

Tory will propose SmartTrack and it will be rejected by the Provincial government. Since Tory will also cancel Finch West and Sheppard East in his time as mayor, the Province will now have the money to fund the DRL.

I'll take that outcome.

Give me Eglinton West and we have a deal.

Problem is Pasternak, Mamommliti and/or his successor, Doug Ford, and the mayor support Sheppard East. That's four votes.

Has Tory explicitly come out against the Finch and Sheppard LRTs, or has he just been vague about it?

Has Tory explicitly come out against the Finch and Sheppard LRTs, or has he just been vague about it?

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/05/08/lorinc-john-tory-qa-pay-transit/
In an interview yesterday with Spacing at a Danforth cafe, Tory insisted he’s not going to tack right. But he did reveal that if he’s elected, he’ll push Metrolinx and the province to delay the Finch West and Sheppard East LRT projects so he can accelerate work on a Yonge Street Relief Line.
“If my next priority after the Scarborough subway is a Yonge Street Relief Line, then I have to get that funded and the agreement of the other governments to similarly move it to the top of the list. What follows is obviously a timetable of other priorities that are behind that. I can’t have it both ways and say we should proceed with those [Finch and Sheppard] immediately.”
Asked if he’d push to re-allocate the budget for the Finch/Sheppard projects — $2 billion from the province and another $333 million from the federal government – Tory replied, “No, I’m not saying that. I’m just saying you can’t have it both ways. If you’re going to say you’re going to do the Yonge Street Relief Line, you obviously have to fund that first…On Finch and Sheppard, I’d say it has to be part of the broader conversation with the province and Metrolinx.”

May 8, 2014: Delay the Finch and Sheppard LRTs.

May 27, 2014: No change to the Finch and Sheppard LRTs. Full speed ahead.

Truly, Tory is a master of consistency. Shades of Romney.

Back