News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Can council override the committee's rejection if enough votes can be rounded up?

Council also decided Toronto needs new voting machines - the equipment it bought in 1999 was said to have a 15-year lifespan - and asked the committee to ensure those machines can handle ranked balloting.

On Monday, however, the Government Management Committee decided any moves to purchase new equipment should wait until staff investigate the costs of extending the current equipment’s use for one, two or three council terms - the next 12 years - and to report on this in 2015.

Despite last year’s 25-to-16 vote by council - which could overturn the committee’s decision during its final meeting later this month - the committee was not convinced.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/4754470-city-committee-rejects-ranked-balloting-machines/

Then John Tory is our next mayor.

Maybe it won't be too bad, his DumbTrack will never be built so long as the Liberals have a majority and I don't really care too much about FWLRT and SELRT, they either happen or they don't and we focus on other projects. I just hope council has the backbone to oppose him on Eglinton Connects.

Don't worry, if there's one thing Tory can be counted on it's to flip-flop on some issue, perhaps multiple times! Tory may talk a good talk now and then, but he couldn't lead his own party, let alone win an election, and would exemplify the idea of a "weak mayor" system.

SmartTrack is really just a rehashing of GO expansion plans, it will get built. However, it obviously has to include all GO lines not just two of them. As far as I can tell SmartTrack is just a marketing thing to make his GO expansion plans look sort of like the DRL.

Tory really ought to look into revisiting Eglinton if it is reasonably possible to do this. I do not understand why we are not building an automated subway that runs from Black Creek to Don Mills, with nothing (or elevated rail) east of Don Mills. The transport minister sort of admitted that changing Eglinton to a subway was possible with more funding when Rob Ford proposed his make the eastern section underground idea yet again (which is absurd of course). I mean Tory is already proposing cancelling all the non-Eglinton LRT lines, so most of the Bombardier has to be cancelled anyway, so it seems like buying automated subway rolling stock would make sense at the same time. I fear that big condo developments like the Celestica redevelopment will make Eglinton packed, that and all the people who work near Pearson if the line ever goes in that direction. The current Eglinton proposal is pretty strange.

Of course the Eglinton bike lane proposal is a bad idea and needs to be cancelled. Riding a bike in Toronto is dangerous with or without bike lanes. Also reducing a major road to 1 lane each way near Yonge/Eglinton is a bad idea, remember that there are no continuous east west roads for 4km on either side as St. Clair and Lawrence both have gaps.

So, you're the same Andrew who trolls Steve Munro's site saying much the same thing?

To emphasize, elevated lines look terrible, destroy the streetscape, and most certainly do not allow for the preservation of lanes of traffic. If you haven't seen the ugly concrete platforms of, say, the Canada Line on No. 3 Rd in Richmond, then you really ought not to be making this argument (and if you have, and don't think that two-storey concrete platforms looming over a sidewalk isn't awful, then you're an idiot).

Tory is pushing the Smart Track concept because it's his idea and it sets him apart from the other candidates, but if it turns out not to be achievable, he can revert to supporting subways and possibly endorsing LRT as the cost-effective, fiscally conservative choice. It's hard to tell what he really supports on any issue because he seems to focus more on being able to reverse a decision down the road.

Umm I knew 4 out of 5 of those Stintz thingz. (Didn't know her dad was in NASA) Did they underestimate peoples Stintz knowledge or maybe I am just a Stintz Jeopardy expert. I also known she's a mom and likes sunflowers and she's just like me, except for being unlike me at all :D

To be fair, I knew she is a sleazy opportunist that will do anything it takes to further her political career.

@ddale8 37m
There are multiple reports of mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson robocalling people tonight around 1 a.m.

@ThomsonTO 30m
I apologize to all + anyone who was woken by a robocall - I've personally called the company + had them stopped.

@ddale8 24m
Mayoral candidate Sarah Thomson says she herself was awakened at 12:30 a.m. by her own robocall.

this election...
rolls.gif

So J Tory got J Filion's endorsement this morning...He's catching up to D Soknacki... It would be much more impressive if say he received M Thompson's, J Matlow's, G Perks or similar but I suppose you have to start somewhere....

I think if Tory got Perks's endorsement a lot of people would fall off their chairs.

Just the reaction I was looking for nevertheless J Tory needs that type of in your face endorsement from a preceived leader of one or two Council's factions to solidify his front runner status.... a J Filion just won't do...

So J Tory got J Filion's endorsement this morning...He's catching up to D Soknacki... It would be much more impressive if say he received M Thompson's, J Matlow's, G Perks or similar but I suppose you have to start somewhere....

John Tory could easily have the support of councillors such as Michael Thompson, James Pasternak, Michelle Berardinetti, Norm Kelly, Denzil Minnan-Wong and Jaye Robinson. Josh Matlow and Greg Perks are most likely supporting Olivia Chow or David Sokancki because of the old Scarborough LRT plan.

Last edited:
John Tory could easily have the support of councillors such as Michael Thompson, James Pasternak, Michelle Berardinetti, Norm Kelly, Denzil Minnan-Wong and Jaye Robinson. Josh Matlow and Greg Perks are most likely supporting Olivia Chow or David Sokancki because of the old Scarborough LRT plan.

I feel like Matlow might have been leaning Tory early on because Chow was weak on the DRL. He criticized her over it, saying it was the number one priority. Now that Tory has flopped over to this SmartTrack plan, who knows?

Back