News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wasn't it Glenn De Baeremaeker?

Yes, but that wasn't even good enough, just look what what GDB has tossed out there the past year....
Reducing signage during camping to 14 days (which seems certain to die at council)
His attempt at stopping nuisance bylaw complaints and reimbursment of appeal costs (which hasn't got anywhere)

I get the feeling he has had private polling done and found he is in a precarious position as far as reelection...
It is too bad there isn't a "star" candidate out there to take up the fight as I get the feeling the voters of Ward 38 have had enough of GDB.....

66 days to go.

40 more debates. Groan. The provincial election campaign was 28 days long, and there was only one debate.

The city election campaign is just too long, with too many debates that do nothing but get the candidates sore throats.

66 days to go.

40 more debates. Groan. The provincial election campaign was 28 days long, and there was only one debate.

The city election campaign is just too long, with too many debates that do nothing but get the candidates sore throats.

I used to agree with wanting to reduce the length of the muni election. But I had a bit of an epiphany. As much as I don't like the long drawn out campaign, the length of it gives us a better chance to evaluate the candidates, but more importantly, gives the candidates more chances to make mistakes. It's interesting to see how each reacts after a miss-step to help judge them overall. It's inevitable they will have miss-steps once elected, so it's interesting to get a preview of this aspect as well.

As for the debates, it's just absurd there is 40 more in 66 days, it's really pointless. I could see one monthly from Jan-Aug and 2 per month afterwards until the election.

If Stintz would have kept and improved the combined Eglinton / Scarborough LRT, instead of scrapping it, I believe she would have been in a two way race. And if the Ford story would have unfolded the same as it did, she would have been the front runner now.

What does the crosstown have to do with her downfall? The combined version was a terrible plan because Eglinton would have been all underground, the SRT would not have been extended to Sheppard, and the Finch + Sheppard LRT funds would have been raided to pay for this. Her popularity went way up when she saved the original LRT plan. She fucked up when she later tried to get a subway in Scarborough after perviously supporting the LRT, and got ridiculed for that.

Instead, her flip to LRT in 2012 wasted a year and a half and then allowed the Liberals to orchestrate the "Scarborough Subway" debate - which led to their majority government and a farther delay of a couple of years.

No. It was Karen Stintz and Glenn De Baeremaeker who orchestrated the subway debate. Why is it always the LRT that you blame for this mess? They would have all been either been build or under construction by now if the subway blowhards didn't get in the way.

Then again, Joe Oliver being in his 70s, he could decide not to run again...

Given that the Tories are running at about 26% nationally it wouldn't surprise me if he decides to retire or transfer to a safer riding like Thornhill if their numbers don't improve.

junior43, I think that is a nice idea and it definitely helps for those who are engaged in the process. But look at the results of previous elections: Mel Lastman, David Miller, Rob Ford... None of these men where elected because the people of the City carefully evaluated their policy positions. Take our current Mayor. Anyone who carefully evaluated his policy positions or political track record would not be in the slightest surprised by what has occurred during his mayoral term. His policy positions, antics, and behaviour were the same prior to becoming mayor. If the people based their decision on sound reasoning and careful scrutiny why would they now be surprised and feel the need to "kick the bum out"? He is the same bum that was kicked in when the people decided to kick the last bum, David Miller, out.

junior43, I think that is a nice idea and it definitely helps for those who are engaged in the process. But look at the results of previous elections: Mel Lastman, David Miller, Rob Ford... None of these men where elected because the people of the City carefully evaluated their policy positions. Take our current Mayor. Anyone who carefully evaluated his policy positions or political track record would not be in the slightest surprised by what has occurred during his mayoral term. His policy positions, antics, and behaviour were the same prior to becoming mayor. If the people based their decision on sound reasoning and careful scrutiny why would they now be surprised and feel the need to "kick the bum out"? He is the same bum that was kicked in when the people decided to kick the last bum, David Miller, out.

Ya, I know. In theory, my idea is good, but Rob Ford is the exception to the rule - and many other rules.

And agreed, for people engaged in the process (a small minority) it is helpful. But for the majority of 'sound bite' voters who don't really look into issues and/or platforms, the extended campaign is detrimental. They just think it's silly and become less engaged when they hear about what happened at the 101st debate.

Basically, I guess I don't care. I prefer it this way (even though I do find it frustrating) but it may be best overall if it was cut down to similar to prov and feds (6 weeks in general). Although - with a clown like Ford, it just allows him to get away with more crap prior to the official start of campaigns (if they were only 6 weeks). 6 Weeks may also give an incumbent an even larger advantage, with not enough time to get to know all the candidates.

Either way, a serious conversation needs to be had around all of this.

Tory will get four years and then it's Mikey's turn.

I'd bet money on there being a Ford on the ballot in 2018.

I think John will only do four too. He is already 61, will be almost 65 next time. Retirement will be in the cards. The Ford brand is done after November and the nation will not care and disperse. This is a celeb deal for many.

I think John will only do four too. He is already 61, will be almost 65 next time. Retirement will be in the cards. The Ford brand is done after November and the nation will not care and disperse. This is a celeb deal for many.

I can see John Tory being a two-term mayor, not a one term mayor. He is only 60 years old. Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly is 73 years old. Look at Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion who was elected in 1978 in her 50s. She is now retiring from politics at friggin' 93 years old. Tory isn't getting too old.

Back