News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This has been a very weak election and I think we we have a new mayor yet again in 2018.

I've only been Toronto for three elections, but this one doesn't seem a whole lot different than the others in terms of failure to inspire. I blame the 10-month campaign. Familiarity breeds contempt. The upside is that at least we warts-and-all view of our candidates. It sure is a tiresome slog, though.

I'd bet money on there being a Ford on the ballot in 2018.

Hopefully, by 2018, we'll have ranked balloting. The voter would select their first, second, and third choices for a candidate. Who'll get 50%+1 wins, instead of the current first-past-the-post.

I'm not sure about *them*; but I've long seen Thompson vs Wong-Tam as a dream left-right matchup...

Oh, and Stintz should have known: sunflowers are jinxed

001.jpg

Thompson vs. KWT would be a fascinating watch. Both principled, astute, highly articulate, and from very different places ideologically.

I'm not sure about *them*; but I've long seen Thompson vs Wong-Tam as a dream left-right matchup...

You are right about K W-T as a future flagbearer for the left whether in '18 or most likely '22...Question is would she be seasoned enough by 2018 considering in her first years she wasn't a committee Chair and was left to languish in less than influential committees....
I'm not sure about Thompson taking a run at it anymore, the stars were aligned this time around for him to throw his hat in the ring however he turtled as Tory did in 2010 (I maybe overly critical)...Personally I see Thompson as the conscience of the right (much as Holyday was and Kelly is) and will hold his Council seat and be permenant fixture as the future Deputy Mayor until he leaves on his own terms...But, yeah, I think Thompson would make a great mayor should he ever decide to run

I can see John Tory being a two-term mayor, not a one term mayor. He is only 60 years old. Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly is 73 years old. Look at Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion who was elected in 1978 in her 50s. She is now retiring from politics at friggin' 93 years old. Tory isn't getting too old.
Those two are outliers imo. Especially Hazel

I've only been Toronto for three elections, but this one doesn't seem a whole lot different than the others in terms of failure to inspire. I blame the 10-month campaign. Familiarity breeds contempt. The upside is that at least we warts-and-all view of our candidates. It sure is a tiresome slog, though.
I think that having all three major candidates screw up so early is a problem to me.
Hopefully, by 2018, we'll have ranked balloting. The voter would select their first, second, and third choices for a candidate. Who'll get 50%+1 wins, instead of the current first-past-the-post.

First past the post is fine. We have weak candidates, that's the problem.

Feels like were long overdue for a new poll. Maybe it's best to wait now for the avalanche of Stintz supporters to choose their new candidate.

Feels like were long overdue for a new poll. Maybe it's best to wait now for the avalanche of Stintz supporters to choose their new candidate.

We'll probably see one Monday or Tuesday if only to gauge the reaction of Stintz's move.
(The scary thing is if we don't see a Forum Poll shortly it could mean R Ford is strengthening, remember Forum is polling exclusively for the Star right now and anything showing Ford on an uptick doesn't meet with smiling eyes and would probably be buried)

Last edited:
What does the crosstown have to do with her downfall? The combined version was a terrible plan because Eglinton would have been all underground, the SRT would not have been extended to Sheppard, and the Finch + Sheppard LRT funds would have been raided to pay for this. Her popularity went way up when she saved the original LRT plan. She fucked up when she later tried to get a subway in Scarborough after perviously supporting the LRT, and got ridiculed for that.

No. It was Karen Stintz and Glenn De Baeremaeker who orchestrated the subway debate. Why is it always the LRT that you blame for this mess? They would have all been either been build or under construction by now if the subway blowhards didn't get in the way.

I patiently explain each time he throws out random statements like this in other threads: BurlOak is beyond obsessed with his own version of EC (check that thread) and twists the facts to suit his needs. Complete BS every time.

Back