News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I'm not liking Chow's fiscal conservstive stance on everything. This left-of-centre candidate has turned out being the most fiscally conservative candidate in the race. I was hoping she'd be the candidate who would push for more taxes for transit.

I don't know if that's fiscal conservatism or just being cautious generally. Why would anyone promise, or even hint at promising, something without knowing or suggesting how to get it? (assuming that person is not engaging in magical thinking or outright dishonesty).

For one thing, her response avoids playing into the hands of alarmists looking to paint her as a spendthrift who will tax everyone and everything to pay for it.

Her idea about increasing rush-hour bus service, even if it's not entirely feasible, at least builds on what's already there. In that sense it's a better idea than that of any opponent who wants to attack her for condemning people to buses but doesn't propose any specific alternative.

My guess is that her position will "evolve" to one of support, and she'll have demonstrated (intentionally of course) a pragmatic path to said position. The more I think about it, the more I think it could be a brilliant strategy.

I think this is exactly it. Her team knows the go-to dig against her will be the usual right-wing scare tactics of "tax and spend lefties". By now, most Torontonians have realized "magical" funding for subways don't exist....you have no choice but to...well...tax and spend. And her team is going to force the opposition to admit to having to do it...or stop talking about promising subways. It's a good way to neutralize her opponent's talking points against the "left".

But she DOES support it. Her question, and it is a sensible one, is where does the funding come from. She's just not making promises that she can't keep. The onus should be on the DRL builders to come clean on where they're going to find the money. Sooner or later, all will have to admit taxation is necessary. Selling off Toronto Hydro or other assets is NOT going to cut it, not even close. Just on that issue alone, Stintz is off my list of potential contenders for my vote.

In all likelyhood these discussions about RL funding will be for nothing. In a few weeks the Provincial budget (including fully funded Relief Line) will be passed. The Relief Line is being built regardless of who wins the election. It seems to me that the candidates (particularly John Tory) are trying to score some easy political points over a provincial project that they have zero control or responsibility over.

It's a smart political strategy. Most people are oblivious the the fact that the Relief Line is a soon to be fully funded provincial project. Why not take credit for it?

Talking up airport expansion and sharpening his "formidable" debate skills for later this week...

CBCToronto 11:16am via Web
What about environmental impact of airport expansion? "Oh come on," says Ford, walking away from reporters.

I'd like to know how Ford's position on the island airport relates to his connection to Mario Cortellucci and other waterfront development.

I'm surprised at the number for Soknacki but I guess things could be changing for him, slowly. He's an ideas guy and his personality seems engaging but he needs to go on a charm offensive to get his points across and not seem like a nice-guy compromise candidate.

Stintz has serious problems with credibility and Tory doesn't really seem to care enough.

Tory and Chow are doing this because they have to.

I think this is exactly it. Her team knows the go-to dig against her will be the usual right-wing scare tactics of "tax and spend lefties". By now, most Torontonians have realized "magical" funding for subways don't exist....you have no choice but to...well...tax and spend. And her team is going to force the opposition to admit to having to do it...or stop talking about promising subways. It's a good way to neutralize her opponent's talking points against the "left".
She just said she's going to cancel the Scarborough subway, and keep the tax hike. That will be pretty good ammunition for the right.

She just said she's going to cancel the Scarborough subway, and keep the tax hike. That will be pretty good ammunition for the right.

… which can be used for the DRL. It's a more sane and sustainable solution than anyone else. The main problem with selling the family silver is that you run out of silver.

… which can be used for the DRL.

Well, whaddaya know?

“That's why I think the below-ground rail service in Scarborough needs to be changed to above-ground. And by doing that, we are in fact saving a billion dollars. That is a whole lot of money, and Scarborough residents will get the respect, they get the better service, with a billion dollars less — and that will give us the fiscal room to build that relief line, to increase better bus service, to do the housing we need, to fix the housing that is now falling apart — TCHC,â€

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...scarborough_subway_but_keep_its_tax_hike.html

Back