News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well, whaddaya know?

“That's why I think the below-ground rail service in Scarborough needs to be changed to above-ground. And by doing that, we are in fact saving a billion dollars. That is a whole lot of money, and Scarborough residents will get the respect, they get the better service, with a billion dollars less — and that will give us the fiscal room to build that relief line, to increase better bus service, to do the housing we need, to fix the housing that is now falling apart — TCHC,”

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...scarborough_subway_but_keep_its_tax_hike.html

Pfff... says the one who said the DRL would be built "eventually" and that we need more buses and LRT instead of subways... pfff

I wonder if Chow would've been better off concentrating on better bus service as the primary transit issue and not the McCowan subway.

I'm surprised at the number for Soknacki but I guess things could be changing for him, slowly. He's an ideas guy and his personality seems engaging but he needs to go on a charm offensive to get his points across and not seem like a nice-guy compromise candidate.

Stintz has serious problems with credibility and Tory doesn't really seem to care enough.
How do you come to the conclusion that tory does not care enough

Well, whaddaya know?

“That's why I think the below-ground rail service in Scarborough needs to be changed to above-ground. And by doing that, we are in fact saving a billion dollars. That is a whole lot of money, and Scarborough residents will get the respect, they get the better service, with a billion dollars less — and that will give us the fiscal room to build that relief line, to increase better bus service, to do the housing we need, to fix the housing that is now falling apart — TCHC,â€

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...scarborough_subway_but_keep_its_tax_hike.html

"Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!"

The tax hike for Scarborough gets you 1/7th of the DRL, congrats.

Really, I think promising the DRL isn't realistic for municipal politicians, its simply too expensive without some form of support from the rest of the government. Its better to focus on the stuff that municipalities can actually afford to pay for, such as the better bus service. The DRL is too large of a project for the city to be seriously talking about funding, its simply too expensive.

Really, I think promising the DRL isn't realistic for municipal politicians, its simply too expensive without some form of support from the rest of the government. Its better to focus on the stuff that municipalities can actually afford to pay for, such as the better bus service. The DRL is too large of a project for the city to be seriously talking about funding, its simply too expensive.

Good point, but the province seems to fund & build things based on the preferences of City Council, so it does matter.

How realistic was the OneCity funding plan? I'm sure the City could fund it *if the city really wanted to*.

pfff... she saying nothing, really pfff

She's saying that the replacement for the SRT is better off being a 7-stop extension of the Eglinton LRT line than a 3-stop extension of the B/D subway line...and she's right. And since transit does not begin and end with "subways, subways, subways", the extra funding already committed to should go to other issues that require funding (like much needed increased service on bus routes).

Let's not forget that going back to the LRT plan might save us more than $1 billion, as the City was on the hook for anything over that estimate, and it has been suggested that it could easily double in the long run.

Pfff... says the one who said the DRL would be built "eventually" and that we need more buses and LRT instead of subways... pfff

At the risk of repeating myself from upthread:

Chow on the DRL:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=197177

Me: The one thing that perplexed me from the first couple days of the campaign was the question of the relief line and what your position is and why you're taking it. The other day you said sort of "we'll get around to it eventually."

Chow: No, no, no. I think we need to see how much money we have. I would love to have it built. But … can we fund it? Where's the funding gonna come from? Of course it's needed.

Me: That is something that would be a priority?

Chow: Oh absolutely.
But I'm not gonna go promise things that I don't know where the funding comes from. That's not my style. [That’s] the other candidates' style, but certainly not my style, right? If you can't say where the money comes from or how much it is or when you think it can be done — then it's a promise that's empty. It's not meaningful.

At the risk of repeating myself from upthread:

Chow on the DRL:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=197177

Me: The one thing that perplexed me from the first couple days of the campaign was the question of the relief line and what your position is and why you're taking it. The other day you said sort of "we'll get around to it eventually."

Chow: No, no, no. I think we need to see how much money we have. I would love to have it built. But … can we fund it? Where's the funding gonna come from? Of course it's needed.

Me: That is something that would be a priority?

Chow: Oh absolutely.
But I'm not gonna go promise things that I don't know where the funding comes from. That's not my style. [That’s] the other candidates' style, but certainly not my style, right? If you can't say where the money comes from or how much it is or when you think it can be done — then it's a promise that's empty. It's not meaningful.

Nice Flip flop there Chow. That's not what she initially said

Nice Flip flop there Chow. That's not what she initially said

It's commonly known as a clarification. A flip flop would be saying you're on one side of the issue, then saying you're on the other side. That's known as pulling a Stintz. Chow was rather too vague on the DRL when asked about it initially, but this article clears it up. She wants the DRL built, it is a priority, and Toronto needs to find the money to pay for it before drawing lines on a map.

Back