News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I almost liked Tory, but his supporters on Facebook are some of the biggest twats around. There is one guy working on his campaign who cannot intelligently defend Tory's policies, but is great at saying stuff like, "OUR next Mayor, John Tory".

I mean ... I have met and spoke to Rob Ford (both as Cllr. and Mayor) on countless occasions ... whether in person, or on the telephone (both here in Toronto, and when I lived in Kingston for a wee bit). I mean ... I have spoke to Rob Ford's former staff ABOUT Rob Ford (and about lots of other stuff) ... countless times ... whether in person, or through social media, or on the telephone. I mean ... I was once a "member" of Ford Nation ... which allowed me access to him that few of you would believe is true.

It's all in the past, however.

Those days are gone.
Wow.

So let me ask you this. This isn't what I don't fathom. It clear during the last election that Rob had substance abuse issues. It was clear he was a bigot. There was evidence he was a racist (though even I was willing to believe that it was just unusual choice of words, rather than proper racism). We knew he was a pathological liar with his denials and later admissions about alcohol and drug use (during the campaign). It was clear we was verbally and physically abusive. Perhaps most importantly, it was clear he wasn't particularly bright.

We've learned a bit more since 2010 ... but only to the level of detail.

What would ever possess someone to support an individual who is clearly unfit for higher office for so many reason?

I almost liked Tory, but his supporters on Facebook are some of the biggest twats around. There is one guy working on his campaign who cannot intelligently defend Tory's policies, but is great at saying stuff like, "OUR next Mayor, John Tory".

This civic election is still using the first-past-the-post or single-choice voting. Someone with less than 50% of the votes cast will be the winner.

Hopefully, the following civic election will have ranked ballots or preferential voting. It'll be an instant run-off voting situation, to make sure that someone will get a majority vote. The new council will have to request it, though.

Ralph?

This civic election is still using the first-past-the-post or single-choice voting. Someone with less than 50% of the votes cast will be the winner.

Hopefully, the following civic election will have ranked ballots or preferential voting. It'll be an instant run-off voting situation, to make sure that someone will get a majority vote. The new council will have to request it, though.

I am very glad the Liberal government got elected in for this reason.

I'm also glad you brought this up. Though I am sure one of Toronto's many councilors will request it anyway, I would love it if both Tory and Chow (and the other candidates) publicly committed to this. So far I only know of Soknacki's commitment to ranked ballots and can only assume Chows support.

Wow.

So let me ask you this. This isn't what I don't fathom. It clear during the last election that Rob had substance abuse issues. It was clear he was a bigot. There was evidence he was a racist (though even I was willing to believe that it was just unusual choice of words, rather than proper racism). We knew he was a pathological liar with his denials and later admissions about alcohol and drug use (during the campaign). It was clear we was verbally and physically abusive. Perhaps most importantly, it was clear he wasn't particularly bright.

We've learned a bit more since 2010 ... but only to the level of detail.

What would ever possess someone to support an individual who is clearly unfit for higher office for so many reason?

Despite his personal failings, I genuinely felt Rob Ford was the best possible candidate (no, really) to lead the City of Toronto.

I felt ... after 7 years of David Miller, City Hall needed a fresh direction/perspective.

It's really that simple.

Despite his personal failings, I genuinely felt Rob Ford was the best possible candidate (no, really) to lead the City of Toronto.

I felt ... after 7 years of David Miller, City Hall needed a fresh direction/perspective.

It's really that simple.
Even if a good leader, how could one possibly ever justify voting for someone so blatantly bigoted - unless one shared his bigotry?

It's really that simple.

rolling my eyes

rob-ford-scary-eyes.jpg

She IS a career politician. Would you prefer a man of the people?

I know what you mean ... I'm still waiting for someone I want to vote for jumps in. But with 2 of them polling in low-single digits (or less!), that leaves Tory and Chow. And I can never forgive Tory by hiring Kouvalis. Not to mention his odd LRT and subway promises ... wanting to spend less on transit than the province has already gifted onto the table.

I don't know, I'd prefer our municipal politicians to not give that vibe. This isn't party politics and party politics has no place in the municipal level. To answer your question, no, I don't want a raving populist like the Fords either.

Tory also gives me a different, 'plasticy' and fake, sort of vibes. This impression comes from who he is, which is a privileged white guy who seems out of touch with the rest of society representing an ideological background known for playing into corporate and lobbyist interests. But I as a theoretical educated voter would already know all this before casting a vote for him.

Olivia Chow on the other hand sells herself as a people-person, a champion of low-income housing and of taking the homeless off the streets, and as someone genuinely concerned with the well-being of those from lower tax brackets. Policy announcements such as improved bus frequency in the 'burbs plays well to this, but when it comes to issuing statements like the handgun ban, I am suddenly evoked with this feeling that I am being fooled by a career-politician making pandering misguided non-statements in order to win an election. In some way, these kind of non-statements make Chow look more fake than Tory.

Then we wonder why right-wingers dislike Chow/liberal politicians so much. They (generally speaking) don't hold highly those values that Chow champions for and instead pay attention to those non-statements. They will then observe the same feeling of unease as I did, as nobody likes being fooled, or alternatively, will critically judge Chow for being misguided and not actually understanding the issues she champions for, leading to the impression she isn't that smart. (As with the handgun "policy")

---

You know what I want in a mayoral candidate? I want someone who can take all this partisan politics out of city hall and work together with councilors and people of all political or other backgrounds. Someone who approaches important city issues logically by looking at the numbers, cost benefit analysis, by wading through the positions and opinions of both sides. I do not want someone who approaches city issues from a partisan background, nor through an "us vs. them" mentality.

The only candidate that has convinced me as committed to these principles I hold is David Soknacki. He has proven this in the past by working under David Miller despite political differences and you can find examples from this mayoral campaign where Soknacki has reinforced this commitment consistently in areas as diverse as transit, the island airport, council reforms, last hour, food carts among others.

It's really that simple.

Forgetting for the moment that the Miller 7 years were full of great accomplishments, what in the world would lead someone to think Ford's "direction/perspective" was anything other than complete BS? You'd have to be completely blinded by political ideology to not see that his fiscal policy was pure fiction.

But yea...your tale is a very common one. I know someone very well who was so blinded with hatred towards Miller (or anything deemed "left" for that matter), that voting for Ford was just a knee-jerk reaction. Basically, if you found yourself feeling that kind of extreme hatred towards someone like David Miller...then you have a very big problem.

You know what I want in a mayoral candidate? I want someone who can take all this partisan politics out of city hall and work together with councilors and people of all political or other backgrounds. Someone who approaches important city issues logically by looking at the numbers, cost benefit analysis, by wading through the positions and opinions of both sides. I do not want someone who approaches city issues from a partisan background, nor through an "us vs. them" mentality.

The only candidate that has convinced me as committed to these principles I hold is David Soknacki. He has proven this in the past by working under David Miller despite political differences and you can find examples from this mayoral campaign where Soknacki has reinforced this commitment consistently in areas as diverse as transit, the island airport, council reforms, last hour, food carts among others.

There are a lot of progressive people that I consider friends and acquaintances who aren't crazy about Chow, but will vote for her (with admittedly less nose-holding than there was for Smitherman in 2010) if it becomes a two or three way race between her, Mitt, er, Tory and Ford. Soknacki's name keeps coming up as the preferred choice, at least right now. That said, some friends of mine are very pro-Chow; at least she can use their help going against Ford and Tory.

Chow isn't exactly the darling of the left.

Damn, I wish we had run off elections or ranked ballots, at least for mayor if not council.

Last edited:
Tonight, David Soknacki, again, came across as very aggressive and know-it-all-ish ...

I just ... do not understand why people love this guy.

I know you're a Tory booster, but if you look at Soknacki and see "aggressive" our eyeballs are seriously wired differently.

Back