News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

^ That is fantastic news. Seems like all of the polls that came out in the last few days have the CPC in 3rd place.

That eases the fear of vote splitting on the left, which should help either the Liberals or NDP get some more momentum.

The Cons being relegated to third party status would be incredible. Hopefully an NDP-Liberal coalition is in the making.

If the Cons were reduced to third party, we wouldn't even need a formal coalition. They could simply be ignored.

How many seats could the CPC be reduced to? I would love to see them in the 50-60 seat range.

I would love that too. However, any third place finish would be acceptable.

The trouble with the "Kim Campbell" prognosis is that there's no right-disuniting Reform-style entity in place. Essentially, the firmly right-of-centre has no alternate place to go to.

Thus, the lower Conservative benchmark remains closer to 50 than to 2.

They will do well in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, but those aren't populous provinces. Alberta is really the only province with a larger population where they can do well.

Interesting analysis here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-grenier-polls-sep8-1.3218215

He's indicating that NDP support is stable but essentially stagnant, while the Conservatives are in decline and the Liberals have the most upward momentum.

There's also a couple articles over at The Star calling Trudeau's intention to run modest deficits for the first few years a bold move and indicating that it could win him a considerable amount of support.

I've been very disappointed with the Liberals' support for C-51, and for running candidates like Bill Bliar [sic]. They're also in third place in the seat count; it would take a lot to suddenly go from third to first. In Toronto Centre, the candidate (Bill Morneau) is far too business-right wing for my taste, or for the new Toronto Centre which lost Rosedale and Yorkville. I much prefer the NDP's Linda McQuaig. On the whole, I like the downtown NDP candidates much more than the Liberal candidates, except perhaps Trinity-Fort York where Adam Vaughan is pretty good.

But I've been let down by Mulcair with his promises of immediate budget surpluses and other not-so-NDP promises. But I also remember that the Liberals like to campaign left and govern right. I'm getting the strange feeling like it's Andrea Horwath and Olivia Chow for Mayor all over again.

The way I see it, C-51 isn't as big of a wedge issue as the NDP are trying to make it. The majority of Canadians simply aren't informed enough to develop a strong opinion against it. If you are politically active and on the left, its definitely a big issue. To the everyday voter, there are far more important issues that will decide where votes will be parked.

Bill Morneau is too much for me too, so I'll be voting for McQuaig. That being said, I am hoping for a Liberal win overall as they do have the best platform IMO, save for the C-51 stance. (Luckily for them, I and many voters don't vote based on a single issue)

Not sure where you are seeing 3rd place in seat count, as most of the measures I've seen this week have them a few seats behind the NDP in seat count, and the Conservatives in third place with around 90 seats.

308.com has been showing them close to the NDP also:

Capture.JPG

Today's Nanos Poll has the Liberals now in the lead (statistically tied with NDP, but first time being in the lead since the election was called):

LPC: 32.5%
NDP: 31.2%
CPC: 25.9%

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 385
The way I see it, C-51 isn't as big of a wedge issue as the NDP are trying to make it. The majority of Canadians simply aren't informed enough to develop a strong opinion against it. If you are politically active and on the left, its definitely a big issue. To the everyday voter, there are far more important issues that will decide where votes will be parked.

Bill Morneau is too much for me too, so I'll be voting for McQuaig. That being said, I am hoping for a Liberal win overall as they do have the best platform IMO, save for the C-51 stance. (Luckily for them, I and many voters don't vote based on a single issue)/QUOTE].

Trudeau is too much like Harper. Trudeau will merely continue Harper's agenda, rather than replace it. I think a lot Canadians are informed about Bill C 51, that's why the NDP doing so well in the polls this election.
The Liberals are going to get some of the moderates that are jumping off the sinking Harper ship.

Trudeau is too much like Harper. Trudeau will merely continue Harper's agenda, rather than replace it. I think a lot Canadians are informed about Bill C 51, that's why the NDP doing so well in the polls this election.
The Liberals are going to get some of the moderates that are jumping off the sinking Harper ship.

There is nothing remotely close to Harper's platform in the Liberal platform. They are like night and day when read side by side. If anything, the NDP platform has many more similarities to the Conservative Platform.

Also, no party is doing well in the polls when 50% of respondents are still undecided. It's still far too early to say the NDP is doing well because of ____ issue. As I said, the only people I have seen crying foul over C-51 are those on the left who are politically active. For those undecideds (50%), it clearly isn't enough of an issue to help them make their decision.

Last edited:

Back