News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It was not (at least intentionally) meant as a critique...more of an observation.....I see a big similarity between the co-chair situations and I was simply observing that I don't think it will change anything here.

I think it's more a case of we like high standards - until it is our favourite candidate that is being tasked to practice it.

As for the election itself, it is becoming clearer by the poll that the Libs have grabbed the sentiment of more voters but it really seems to be more of an NDP collapse story than any growing anti-Haper/CPC message. Here is the latest put out by the Star.

No argument that is a collapse of the NDP vote, but really it is the ABC effect manifesting itself. Also historically one can say that the NDP vote has always been more ephemeral than the Liberal one (certainly the so called Orange Wave is the direct result of the Liberal and Bloc collapse in the late 2000s.)

AoD

I think it's more a case of we like high standards - until it is our favourite candidate that is being tasked to practice it.

Yes, people's moral/ethical outrage is often very fluid depending on who is causing it ;)

No argument there, it's really an ABC effect though historically one can say that the NDP vote has always been more ephemeral.

AoD

Yes, I am sure it is an ABC thing happening....and Trudeau's (not sure how to say this)...confidence? seems to have grown during the campaign while Mulcair's performance has been a bit lackluster.

Probably seeing a bit of the two sides of the long election coin.....sure it allowed for the CPC to flex their financial muscle and it allowed that Duffy thing to only dominate the early going....but it also gave time for Justin to grow into a formidable candidate over the journey. So you see that the CPC numbers are well up from the start of the campaign but still clearly in second place to the growing LPC franchise. I would bet the CPC truly did not believe that would happen and that, by now, they would have been able to focus in on people's anxiety over a first ever NDP government.

Probably seeing a bit of the two sides of the long election coin.....sure it allowed for the CPC to flex their financial muscle and it allowed that Duffy thing to only dominate the early going....but it also gave time for Justin to grow into a formidable candidate over the journey. So you see that the CPC numbers are well up from the start of the campaign but still clearly in second place to the growing LPC franchise. I would bet the CPC truly did not believe that would happen and that, by now, they would have been able to focus in on people's anxiety over a first ever NDP government.

I think there is a fundamental misplay by Harper (and it's been picked up by the various commentators) - the negative ads worked too well but the effect got totally demolished when preconceptions were challenged by actual performance. That, and Harper really had alienated enough of the electorate to the point where he really don't have much room to grow - and it makes him very vulnerable to shifts in the Liberal/NDP balance.

Said it before and will say it again - he overstayed his welcome and didn't know when to quit - and now he will likely have to preside over internal grumblings going from a majority to at best a minority government, which is basically his end if his pledge is to be believed: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...mansbridge-interview-stephen-harper-1.3218348.

AoD

Last edited:
Said it before and will say it again - he overstayed his welcome and didn't know when to quit
If I was a politician my perspective would be I'll quit when the people ask me to. There are few national leaders that quit before they're told - Mandela is the only one I can think of.

If I was a politician my perspective would be I'll quit when the people ask me to. There are few national leaders that quit before they're told - Mandela is the only one I can think of.

Now we can slice and dice what "told" meant (low approval rating?) but off the top of my head, quite a few Canadian national leaders quit instead of getting voted out - Pearson, PET and Chretien all did. What's rare is leaving politics at the height of one's power without the shadow of looming electoral defeat.

AoD

Not that she's squeaky clean herself, but Hazel's endorsement of Trudeau will go far with the senior vote. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/14/hazel-mccallion-stephen-harper-liberal-ad_n_8295910.html
Probably some non-seniors too.

I was quite surprised while watching the baseball game on Sportsnet last night to see Hazel suddenly on TV with that ad. Must have been a huge audience.

I didn't catch many commercials ... were there many political ads?

There are few national leaders that quit before they're told - Mandela is the only one I can think of.
Mandela though was in his 80s when he stepped down as President.

Probably some non-seniors too.

I was quite surprised while watching the baseball game on Sportsnet last night to see Hazel suddenly on TV with that ad. Must have been a huge audience.

Given that baseball tv audiences are likely skewed to the more mature amongst us...it was a brilliant piece of political strategy to air that when they did.

The people behind this Liberal campaign have secured their jobs, that's for sure. Everything they have done has been well planned and thought out.

Last night I got a message from someone who I'm always arguing politics with, saying "Just saw a wicked Liberal ad... wow!". If the team can get a staunch Conservative like him to pay attention to their message, they are doing something right. The commercial was the nearly minute long one of the speech Trudeau delivered at the Brampton rally a little over a week ago.

The people behind this Liberal campaign have secured their jobs, that's for sure. Everything they have done has been well planned and thought out.

Last night I got a message from someone who I'm always arguing politics with, saying "Just saw a wicked Liberal ad... wow!". If the team can get a staunch Conservative like him to pay attention to their message, they are doing something right. The commercial was the nearly minute long one of the speech Trudeau delivered at the Brampton rally a little over a week ago.
can't speak for your staunch Conservative friend....but I can acknowledge their strong election strategy/performance without appreciating their message. ;)

^ whoa! I didn't know that the Hazel ad made it to TV. That's amazing!
I thought the Liberals didn't have sufficient funds for the big ad work. That was AIUI the Con's reason for making it such a long campaign, i.e. to bankrupt their poorer competition.

Obviously the Libs have been hoarding their reserves until the end game, or new funds have rolled in (everyone likes to back an apparent winner). I wonder what they'll put out this weekend.

I thought the Liberals didn't have sufficient funds for the big ad work. Obviously they've been hoarding their reserves until the end game - I wonder what they'll put out this weekend.

Fundraising hasn't been an issue. Since Trudeau took over, the party has been meeting all fundraising goals, even some ambitious ones. Current goal to prepare for this weekend is to raise $400,000. Got an email yesterday saying $250,000 had already been raised since the call went out on Tuesday.

Back