News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

increased turnout is good...always.

Indeed, though I think the process need a rethink - there are way too many stories of voters being turned away for whatever reason.

On another note, I wonder how the Senate vacancies will play out, vis-a-vis the agenda of the government in waiting.

AoD

Last edited:
Trudeau is all for senate reform, which I think is a better idea. Maybe have them elected instead of appointed.

Trudeau is all for senate reform, which I think is a better idea. Maybe have them elected instead of appointed.

The whole point of the Senate (sober second thought) would be defeated if it becomes a popularity contest. I think it'd be better to come up with something like a vetted short-list, with a heavy emphasis of exemplary personal ethics, behaviour, excellence and public service by candidates.

Being a Senator should be a burden (reasonable one) that is willingly taken on by individuals who truly believe in the role of the institution. The last thing it should be is a dumping ground for ethically bankrupt politicos as payback.

AoD

Last edited:

The Liberal policy was to exclude Senators from its caucus, and once elected to establish a non-partisan, merit-based process to advise the Prime Minister on Senate appointments. They did not endorse reform beyond that, given that other reforms (elections, term limits, etc.) would require the consent of the Provinces, and possibly changes to the Constitution. The Liberal platform expressly renounces engaging in those types of negotiations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_of_Canada

If Trudeau suddenly filled all 22 vacancies, the Liberals would have a majority.

Technically not, since the Liberal Senators are no longer part of the Liberal caucus. Practically, probably yes since the former Liberal Senators presumably all still lean Liberal and self-identify as Liberals. But not party whip, I guess.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Abolishing the senate just can't work right now due to the provinces not wanting to do it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/trudeau-world-leaders-media-1.3279818

The rest of the world seems to like the results.

Justin Ling ‏@Justin_Ling 32m32 minutes ago
Canada elected 16.6% non-white MPs last night. Considering the country is 19.1% visible minority, that's not too shabby.

My MP is a Muslim lady and my parents are represented by a Chinese guy.

Last edited:
The whole point of the Senate (sober second thought) would be defeated if it becomes a popularity contest. I think it'd be better to come up with something like a vetted short-list, with a heavy emphasis of exemplary personal ethics, behaviour, excellence and public service by candidates.
How about members of the Order of Canada, voted to the position for limited terms by other members of the Order? It's elitist, but the Senate is meant to be an elite institution overseeing the representatives of the Commons. At least, unlike the House of Lords, these people have that status because of achievements in their life. And it would be a place for Wayne Gretzky and Donald Sutherland to exercise their interest in being part of the process. There would, of course, need to be protections against nominations to the Order becoming more politicized.

How about members of the Order of Canada, voted to the position for limited terms by other members of the Order? It's elitist, but the Senate is meant to be an elite institution overseeing the representatives of the Commons. At least, unlike the House of Lords, these people have that status because of achievements in their life. And it would be a place for Wayne Gretzky and Donald Sutherland to exercise their interest in being part of the process. There would, of course, need to be protections against nominations to the Order becoming more politicized.

That's definitely a plausible idea (though it might also be a burden that recipients aren't willing to undertake).

AoD

I hope this is a joke for obvious reasons.
He would be the Donald Trump of Canadian politics. Well minus the wealth of course, but I think the Conservatives found their man! Someone who is even more delusional then Trump himself.

As a side note, I always find it funny when members of the general public come out and pretend to be "experts" about the party they are going to vote for. I bet if you ask these same people to name 2 ministers or MP's from their party, they wouldnt be able to do it.

Trudeau is having a press conference right now, the day after he was elected. This reminds me of how Tory wasn't media shy after getting elected, the opposite of Rob Ford.

He would be the Donald Trump of Canadian politics. Well minus the wealth of course, but I think the Conservatives found their man! Someone who is even more delusional then Trump himself.

As a side note, I always find it funny when members of the general public come out and pretend to be "experts" about the party they are going to vote for. I bet if you ask these same people to name 2 ministers or MP's from their party, they wouldnt be able to do it.
Donald Trump is Queen Elizabeth in terms of class, wealth, decorum, etc compared to Ford - that's how ridiculous this is!

Back