News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I’d like to see full OHIP coverage of dental, optometry, podiatry, dermatology, psychotherapy, physiotherapy, prescriptions, elderly home-care and several other healthcare items we pay out of pocket for before we start helping people make babies. It’s still a good thing to support, but it’s not a top priority in my mind.

As I said, I'm always cautious with Forum polls!

Doing riding projections is difficult, as what is usually done is just assuming a "universal swing." Ford as leader really throws a monkey-wrench into traditional partisan loyalties.

For example, I'll bet "the numbers" say Don Valley West and Eglinton-Lawrence are PC pickups. But with Ford leading the Tories, I'm pretty confident the Liberals will retain those seats.

While the statement about Italy is essentially correct, I don't think you would find it representative of PR systems the world over.

There are 23 democracies in nations of more than 2,000,000 that use PR and the majority do not suffer from gridlock or profound instability.

The problems w/Italy's particular system are myriad and could easily merit their own thread.
Rather than discussing this endlessly, which I've done in the past, (It ends up like arguing what your favourite colour is) suffice it to say that until/unless the Constitution is revisited, all Trudeau's glad tidings of 'electoral reform' would certainly have Trudeau Sr. rolling in his grave:

Constitutional Constraints on Electoral Reform in Canada:Why Parliament is (Mostly) Free to Implement a New Voting System
http://www.emmettmacfarlane.com/resources/constraints on electoral reform - Macfarlane - 2016.pdf

Doing riding projections is difficult, as what is usually done is just assuming a "universal swing." Ford as leader really throws a monkey-wrench into traditional partisan loyalties.

For example, I'll bet "the numbers" say Don Valley West and Eglinton-Lawrence are PC pickups. But with Ford leading the Tories, I'm pretty confident the Liberals will retain those seats.
It goes beyond that even. I agree with Lucy, there's very good reason to doubt *any* polls, as they're all retrospects, even if they are somewhat accurate. What's not been quantified, albeit there are hints in a number of other polls, is how freakin' awkward and bereft of any substance that Ford is.

It's now his to lose, and he's almost guaranteed to live up to it!

Prop Rep trends towards gridlock. A bit like the Sergeant Major having to put every command to a plebiscite. There's a reason Italy, for instance, has an election every other pizza being cooked.
Bad example. Italy has a weird hybrid system where 40% of seats are FPTP.

.....aaaaand other issues.

Though, I think there is a tangible link between a society that values diverse opinions in its legislature and power-sharing and social-economic framework that likewise emphasizes some sharing
of the spoils of a society's wealth and minimum standard of living for all.

As opposed to an electoral system framed as winner-takes-all; which would seem associated with a similar socioeconomic mindset.

Exactly. Copy. Paste.

Zero-sum politics vs consensus-seeking politics. The real differences in people's lives that each engenders are in serious contrast with each other.

That, and what's the point of voting if one's voice doesn't count? Every time I go mark an X it's like I'm in there talking to myself.
"Oh, hi, old friend. It's you again."
"Yeah, hey, what's happening. I'm just in here pretending like being here has a reason to it."
"Still, eh?
"Yup."
"Why bother?"
"I have no f*ck*ng idea any more, to be honest."
"Why don't you vote 'strategically'?"
"What? Why don't I just not vote?"
"Good idea, waste of time anyway."

It's not about winning all the power, it's about having a voice which is what we're supposed to have in a democracy.

Last edited:
I’d like to see full OHIP coverage of dental, optometry, podiatry, dermatology, psychotherapy, physiotherapy, prescriptions, elderly home-care and several other healthcare items we pay out of pocket for before we start helping people make babies. It’s still a good thing to support, but it’s not a top priority in my mind.
Ok, except those babies are a bit of a requisite in order to keep the whole game going. Or are we just concerned with our immediate selves in this here and now?

Ok, except those babies are a bit of a requisite in order to keep the whole game going. Or are we just concerned with our immediate selves in this here and now?
The Canadian natural birth rate of 1.6 combined with immigration should provide sufficient replacement population. Besides, where did I say IVF funding is off the table?

That said, a good portion of folks undertaking fertility treatment are doing so because they waited too long to have kids. From a ROI perspective perhaps that’s where taxpayer dollars should be spent on non-immigration population sustainability? Incentives to have kids earlier, a province-wide, govt-funded daycare program so young moms can return to work easily. Higher child care tax benefits for kids, scaling up per more kids, etc, along with disincentives to wait to have kids.

Just brainstorming, I’m no expert on this since we did it the old fashioned way, 2 kids before wife was 30, with my wife taking eight years off while we raised the kids before returning to her original job, which isn’t feasible for most.

Last edited:
The Canadian natural birth rate of 1.6 combined with immigration should provide sufficient replacement population.

Besides, where did I say IVF funding is off the table?
You didn't, but you did seem to smack it down as being unimportant. Maybe I read you wrong. That, and my question was a bit.....um, heated for no good reason. My apologies.

Back