News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

What makes this election interesting (well, one of the many things) is that there's a decent case to be made for any of the three parties (sorry, Greens) winding up in charge of a minority.
I can't see the PC's in charge of a minority.
Who would they pair up with?

If Liberals have most seats, they would lead.
If NDP has most seats, they would lead - with likely PC support.
If PC has most seats, no one would join them and Wynne would likely be able to cobble together a coalition with the NDP.

I really hope you are right. Schreiner has a fairly decent sounding platform (if not at all tested). I'm hoping Doug stays as Doug and turns off as many voters as possible. A minority government is the best we could hope for. Sadly I think we are going to get a massive blue majority government. The Liberals are a tired brand and right now instead of veering towards centre they went left. We have no true fiscal conservatives. They either want to spend, borrow and tax, or cut cut and borrow.

If PC has most seats, no one would join them and Wynne would likely be able to cobble together a coalition with the NDP.

---

PC's could easily govern with NDP support. NDP wont support Liberals again I don't think as it didn't work out well for NDP last time.

I think that's most likely right, but I also don't think it's the craziest thought hat the Tories pair up with the NDP; they've voted together over the last while provincially perhaps more than one might think.

While not the most likely result, maybe Mike Schreiner will pull it off in Guelph and become the first Green MPP?

No chance. The contest has become a referendum about Ford on one side and a desire to sink Wynne on the other.

Third parties don't stand a chance. Even the NDP is going to get crushed here.

I really don't see why not. If they are in minority territory, they'll form government. Whether that government is sustainable for a relevant stretch is another debate.

Maybe they can enter into a confidence and supply arrangement with the NDP if they want to extend the life of that minority.

I really don't see why not. If they are in minority territory, they'll form government. Whether that government is sustainable for a relevant stretch is another debate.

Maybe they can enter into a confidence and supply arrangement with the NDP if they want to extend the life of that minority.
Not necessarily. If pc win a minority of seats, Wynne still gets first crack to try to stay on. A Lib/NDP coalition would continue her run as Premier uninterrupted.

Look at the federal election. If the NDP were smart, they would have campaigned against the Liberals. That would have kept them in 2nd spot, with a chance at first. Instead, their hatred of Conservatives was so great that they wound up killing themselves in the process.

Ford think there is money to be found through savings.

However, if you look at the Federal government, they studied savings and couldn't find a penny - in fact they found that all their new spending was justified.
I am sure if we ask Wynne, there are no savings to be found provincially.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol.../+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links
Liberal spending review so far identifies no cuts, but highlights new spending

A Liberal government pledge to root out waste and inefficient programs has yet to identify any spending cuts.

Instead, the government is using the review to justify new spending.

The plan for a wide-ranging spending review was laid out nearly a year ago in the 2017 budget, but a promise to show results in the 2018 budget never materialized.

I can't see any world where the NDP and PCs would cooperate in a minority scenario.

Sure, the NDP and PCs have a similar 'populist' streak, but other than some congruence on economic protectionism, there are absolutely no similarities on issues like public spending, education, healthcare, social issues etc.

Not necessarily. If pc win a minority of seats, Wynne still gets first crack to try to stay on. A Lib/NDP coalition would continue her run as Premier uninterrupted.

Coalition governments are dead in Canada. Because they never benefit the junior partner politically. The Liberals would be better off in Opposition obstructing a PC government than continuing on, dealing with a coalition.

Not good for democracy. But good for the parties.

If the Conservatives have the most seats in the House, they are forming government.

Doug Ford hits the ground running in Ontario PC bid to unseat Kathleen Wynne
“The grassroots people are rising up right now. This is a movement I’ve never seen in 30 years in politics,” Mr. Ford said during a visit to Queen’s Park on Monday afternoon. “People are frustrated. We’re going to tell them all the great things that we’re going to implement.”

The new Tory leader said he would leave parliamentary business to former interim leader Vic Fedeli and focus instead on the June election. His message to voters centres on fixing the province’s finances and reducing taxes, largely through cutting waste.

“As my dad always said, in business, you aren’t getting sales in the office. You’ve got to get sales outside. We’re going to be out on the road. You won’t be seeing me in here too often,” he said in the legislature.
The former councillor, who became a household name during his brother Rob’s term as mayor of Toronto, ran a shoestring campaign, raising only $113,550 from 254 donors, according to his filings with Elections Ontario. Political newcomer Caroline Mulroney raised more than $800,000, but finished a distant third.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...on-wynne-after-winning-ontario-pc-leadership/

campaign.gif

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-last-10-weeks-of-2016-campaign-stops-in-one-handy-gif/

No, with our rubbish electoral system, it's actually a great thing!
None of this 35% jamming their policies down the rest's collective throat while claiming to have a mandate comedy.
Although unintended to being so, minority coalitions are as close as you'll get to Proportional Representation in the First Past the Post System. With many of the pluses and minuses too.

Prop Rep trends towards gridlock. A bit like the Sergeant Major having to put every command to a plebiscite. There's a reason Italy, for instance, has an election every other pizza being cooked.

Look at the federal election. If the NDP were smart, they would have campaigned against the Liberals. That would have kept them in 2nd spot, with a chance at first. Instead, their hatred of Conservatives was so great that they wound up killing themselves in the process.

Mulcair was totally fixated on being seen as the only real alternative to Harper and treated Trudeau like he belonged at the children's table.

I think he treated Harper with more respect than he treated Trudeau.

Mulcair was totally fixated on being seen as the only real alternative to Harper and treated Trudeau like he belonged at the children's table.

I think he treated Harper with more respect than he treated Trudeau.

Well, the NDP delegates treated Mulcair even more uncharacteristic respect for his service.

AoD

Back