News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Maybe Christine Elliott can run in Barrie. A far, far safer bet than St. Paul's (that is - assuming she actually wants to serve under Ford).

Are the Liberal incumbents in Whitby and/or Oshawa well-liked? Elliott at least would have home court advantage if she challenged in one of those ridings.

What happened to the PC and Ford mantra... the only poll that matters is election day! I suppose when you are in first place in polls you boast like it's going to be a cake walk but if you get behind you smuggly tell people polls don't matter.

I'm really interested to see how Ford Nation affects some of the central downtown races.

For instance, how does Ford support in large Toronto Community Housing clusters play out in ridings like Toronto Centre or Spadina Fort York. Do they chip away more Liberal votes or NDP votes? Or does Ford reach out to constituencies who wouldn't have voted had Ford not been on the ballot?

Secondly, I think the influx of young suburbanites to downtown, and a growing cluster of professionals in the condo corridors, could see some growth for the PCs over time. Downtown Vancouver, for instance, has surprisingly high CPC support. In the event of a full Liberal collapse - some polls have them winning fewer than 15 seats - could the PCs be competitive in a riding like Spadina Fort York?

I lived in Spadina Fort York (Trinity Spadina) for a lot of years. PC candidates traditionally come in third, quite well back from NDP/Liberal. That applies across all three levels of government. I also worked with those in TCHC, many of whom aren't citizens and can't vote and many of whom just don't vote at all. Unless there is a significant chance, I'd be surprised to see a PC win there.

Speaking of downtown ridings, the Liberals are conspicuously missing a candidate in Toronto Centre. Typically this would be a plum high profile riding for a minister-in-waiting. There were rumours that KWT or David Miller were being approached. Even though the Liberals could probably run a red goat in this riding and win, I wonder if the low prospects for the party are keeping big name candidates away. Sitting four years in the opposition isn't very attractive to prospective star candidates.

Especially if your caucus is only 15-20 members.

I still think this is the real reason people like Hoskins have already fled.
Probably also he doesn’t have a path to leader. After health nowhere else to go provincially.

Expect Del Duca is the front runner now barring a star federal candidate

Probably also he doesn’t have a path to leader. After health nowhere else to go provincially.

Expect Del Duca is the front runner now barring a star federal candidate

There has been speculation that Mitzie Hunter could run for leadership, and she'll likely win her Scarborough Guildwood riding.

Like Bob Rae and Patrick Brown, it's certainly possible that a federal MP could run for the leadership of their provincial party counterparts. I wouldn't be surprised if the gender parity in Trudeau's cabinet has ticked off some high profile Ontario Liberal MPs who in a different climate would be shoe-ins for cabinet positions. I'm thinking David McGuinty, Mark Holland or Robert Nault. They might want a change of scenery.

I’m waiting for Sue-Ann Levy to announce her candidacy for the PC’s. She checks all the boxes the party’s probably looking for - LGBTQ, female, batshit...

"Breaking: PC nominations committee has unanimously decided Patrick Brown cannot run for the party in upcoming election #onpoli"

So now they decide to ban Patrick Brown from further shenanigans. Why, then, did they allow him to re-enter the leadership race? It would have been far less of an embarrassing sh*tshow without his participation.

"Breaking: PC nominations committee has unanimously decided Patrick Brown cannot run for the party in upcoming election #onpoli"

So now they decide to ban Patrick Brown from further shenanigans. Why, then, did they allow him to re-enter the leadership race? It would have been far less of an embarrassing sh*tshow without his participation.
Because they didn’t have a final leader yet. Now they do, and Ford has clearly decided to shutdown the Brown distraction hard.

I'm really interested to see how Ford Nation affects some of the central downtown races.

For instance, how does Ford support in large Toronto Community Housing clusters play out in ridings like Toronto Centre or Spadina Fort York. Do they chip away more Liberal votes or NDP votes? Or does Ford reach out to constituencies who wouldn't have voted had Ford not been on the ballot?

Secondly, I think the influx of young suburbanites to downtown, and a growing cluster of professionals in the condo corridors, could see some growth for the PCs over time. Downtown Vancouver, for instance, has surprisingly high CPC support. In the event of a full Liberal collapse - some polls have them winning fewer than 15 seats - could the PCs be competitive in a riding like Spadina Fort York?

Ford doesn't have a strong appeal among "professionals."

Han Dong may be low-profile but I think he should prevail pretty easily in S-FY. The NDP candidate is an Etobicoke school trustee who was just acclaimed.

Back