News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

From the article, preliminary NDP platform planks:

1) Universal Pharmacare (but initially limited to 125 drugs, as compared w/the 4,000 drug provincial formulary)
- no suggestion of reducing the wider coverage for youth/seniors
2) Commuting all student loans to grants.
3) Moving over time to denationalize Hydro One
4) Moving to some variation of Universal Dental Care, the details are fuzzy at this point...
but it sounds like, mandatory employer benefit funded via payroll tax or employer for workers, while gov't will fund universal dental care
for seniors, social assistance recipients and kids. But further clarity required.
5) She acknowledges corporate taxes will have to rise.

Good, as far it goes.

Need to see the costed details.

But getting everyone core healthcare is something I support.

Wynne put out favourable noises, which I find mildly amusing.

Of note here, an 8B deficit, if you assume Ontario was close to balance before hand would pay for both universal pharmacare and dental care in Ontario.

Of course if you spend it in 10 other ways as well, then not so much.

I’m not so sure about DoFo’s lack of appeal among professionals. I know senior lawyers, businesspeople, portfolio managers, a major real estate guy and a TV guy who seems pretty up there, and they all plan to vote for him on the strength of the argument that Wynne has to go. All live in higher income central Toronto neighbourhoods. To be honest, I’m quite surprised.

I’m not so sure about DoFo’s lack of appeal among professionals. I know senior lawyers, businesspeople, portfolio managers, a major real estate guy and a TV guy who seems pretty up there, and they all plan to vote for him on the strength of the argument that Wynne has to go. All live in higher income central Toronto neighbourhoods. To be honest, I’m quite surprised.
I’m not surprised at all. Your professionals will benefit from the tax cuts and don’t need the government handouts or programs.

I bet in my riding (Toronto Centre) that includes Cabbagetown and Regent Park that the PCs do better than they have in years. They’ll likely not win in my riding, but amongst those who matter (citizens of course, and only those with both the motivation and ability/time to vote) there will be a sizeable group of professionals who will vote PC.

Last edited:
This poll is terrifying at first look since it shows Doug Ford ahead of Wynne by 20%. But then you see that the total of NDP + Liberals is 50% vs PC’s 43%.

The majority of Ontarians don’t want Doug Ford as Premier.

The first month of the campaign is going to determine who the anybody but Ford flag goes to. At this point, it looks like the NDP. I’m no fan of Horwath but if she inches towards the mid 30s by April and the Liberals don’t gain ground, I will certainly start pushing the NDP as the alternative rather than back the Liberals as I planned to. There’s 7 points of wiggle room for those who want to remain in support of their party regardless of the consequences of letting Doug Ford in.

An NDP minority would be just about the perfect scenario right now. Keep Ontario’s progressive roadmap, maintain transit investments, improve healthcare and minimum wage and in the meantime, the Liberal Party gets to take some time off, elect a new leader and come back in a couple of years to contest another election.

I’m in the anybody but Wynne group. In Toronto Centre if the NDP has a shot, I’ll vote for them, same goes for PC. I can readily support either.

LOL! So you’re saying you have no ideological principles. You’ll either vote for the left of the political spectrum or you’ll vote for the far right. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Back