News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What Liberal incumbents? Whitby is held by the Tories and Oshawa by the NDP.

Sorry, I must've been thinking federally (the Red wave). Perhaps the PC incumbent step aside for Elliott to run in Whitby like what was done for Patrick Brown up north, or she'll challenge the NDPer for Oshawa.

I'm really interested to see how Ford Nation affects some of the central downtown races.

For instance, how does Ford support in large Toronto Community Housing clusters play out in ridings like Toronto Centre or Spadina Fort York. Do they chip away more Liberal votes or NDP votes? Or does Ford reach out to constituencies who wouldn't have voted had Ford not been on the ballot?

Secondly, I think the influx of young suburbanites to downtown, and a growing cluster of professionals in the condo corridors, could see some growth for the PCs over time. Downtown Vancouver, for instance, has surprisingly high CPC support. In the event of a full Liberal collapse - some polls have them winning fewer than 15 seats - could the PCs be competitive in a riding like Spadina Fort York?

In many 2014 municipal wards, Ford came in first place in a few downtown polls with TCHC buildings, like Moss Park. But voter turnout isn't usually that high in TCHC properties, and they are tiny blue dots in green/purple ward-level maps.

PC 39% vs LIB 32%. Wynnes in not as bad a spot as people are making it out to be. Easily that is overcomeable. It might not happen but it certainly isn't a KO. If anything it's the liberals getting up from a good first round punch. Lots of time to come back.

I could be wrong. But I think you are misreading the poll. Aren't the numbers you cite just the GTA? That would be horrible for the Liberals.

Ontario’s Progressive Conservative Party could form a majority government after the upcoming election based on polling data in the suburbs of the Greater Toronto Area, the CEO of Ipsos Global Public Affairs says.

The poll released Thursday found the PC party maintained their lead with 39 per cent support (an increase of one per cent). The Ontario Liberal Party is second with 32 per cent support (an increase of three per cent). The Ontario New Democratic Party came in third at 25 per cent (a decrease of one per cent).

However when looking at the poll numbers across Ontario, only 46 per cent of residents surveyed agreed that they’re happy Ford is in the race to become premier. Also, 52 per cent of non-PC Party voters who considered voting for the party said they won’t now because of Ford’s election as leader.

Because they didn’t have a final leader yet. Now they do, and Ford has clearly decided to shutdown the Brown distraction hard.

Yeah, well, that's pretty much what I figured too, though I thought I'd pose the question to see if anyone had alternate theories.

It occurs to me that this particular leadership race wasn't exactly on the up-and-up, you know? Between Elliott's complaints about 'discrepancies ' at the end (before she elected to shut up and play ball, that is), and the rumors about a cabal of party insiders manipulating Brown's ouster as leader at the beginning, there was actually a fair amount of sleaze thrown in here. This despite the toothless, pillow-fight nature of the race itself; certainly nobody opted to go after the Ford family history of scandals as reasons for rejecting Ford as party leader, a strange state of affairs given the way that Brown was thrown under the bus. All very curious, no?

From the Elections Ontario website, Employment Centre, at this link:

We are recruiting poll officials for voting locations across the province for the 2018 General Election on June 7. All positions are paid, and training is provided.

Elections Ontario will be introducing technology in at least 50% of the polls for the 2018 General Election. Poll officials working at the technology based polls will be using electronic poll books and vote tabulators. Applicants will need to have knowledge of the election process, and be comfortable using technology.

Poll officials working at the non-technology based polls will be using paper based products and applicants will need to have knowledge of the election process.

To work as a poll official you must be:
  • 18 years of age, (16 years old for the position of Information Assistant); and
  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • a resident of Ontario
We are seeking candidates who:
  • are personable;
  • have problem solving skills;
  • are able to act as a leader;
  • are able to communicate in English and French for electoral districts designated as bilingual;
  • are able to work long shifts (14+ hours on election day); and
  • hold a valid driver license and vehicle if needed.
Previous election experience is considered an asset. Please note that positions (both tech and non-tech) and voting locations are assigned by the Returning Officer, and that travel may be required for training.

Applicants deemed qualified will be contacted after May 10, 2018 when the returning offices are open. More information about the position and pay will be provided at that time.​

I can see the NDP becoming the official opposition!

Doug Ford however would be difficult to beat. Even the rest of my family is backing him.

Back