News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

He moved it forward. He knew the funding requests were going to be a long time after his term, and he didn't need to spend political capital, not even knowing who was going to be in power when that call came.

Ford could have pushed DRL during his mayoralty, but he was extremely wishy-washy, and seemed more interested in vodka and crack, than advancing subways in Toronto. Quite frankly - I don't think he was a particularly competent leader.

Clearly he wasn't competent in his personal life but his Politics were a different matter and they were very clear to anyone but those determined to work against him at all cost. Same clear mandate his brother just carried into the Provincial election for Toronto.

we'll get to see how serious Doug is with majority power. No differnce from the one seat war on council

That long predates Miller's push for the DRL. The council documents clearly show that in 2008 and 2009 that the Miller administration pushing for the DRL. Trying to pretend otherwise, and ignoring documents clearly accessible, simply shows your bias. I'm not sure what you think you might gain, by trying to falsely prove that Miller was opposed to the . Recall that the original March 2007 Transit City plan added 120 km of LRT by 2021. The Miller's administrations plans for the DRL were for it to open after the 7 (and later 8) proposed Transit City lines were complete. No, the DRL wasn't their first priority.

But can you imagine how much better transit would be in this city if we'd have gotten that 120 km of new transit lines by 2021? Instead we are on track for 20 km, with another 11 km in 2023. I don't see how voting in a party with a 33-year history of cutting, delaying, and cancelling transit will improve that.

Here you go :)

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ttc-relief-line-south-in-design.6155/page-96#post-345203

He moved it forward. He knew the funding requests were going to be a long time after his term, and he didn't need to spend political capital, not even knowing who was going to be in power when that call came.

Ford could have pushed DRL during his mayoralty, but he was extremely wishy-washy, and seemed more interested in vodka and crack, than advancing subways in Toronto. Quite frankly - I don't think he was a particularly competent leader.

If Miller put more effort into the details in his suburban transit scheme we may not have been here. Transit City was wishy washy planning and the issue that set the City back. I do hope we can start to see a plan that respect the entire City under Tory and the Conservatives. Let's see how Doug addresses DRL before crying foul. He said he wants it and Tory also advocates strongly after he narrowly snuck past Ford into office

^Doug says a lot of things that aren't true. He lies as much as his brother did. He might advance the DRL, he might not. But don't conclude that it's happening just because Doug says he wants it.

I don't know how anyone can argue with a straight face that the man who said "the downtown people have enough subways already" was somehow responsible for moving the DRL forward. It's like arguing that black is white. The Don Mills LRT was incorporated into the DRL not because of Rob Ford, but because it was assessed by professionals who concluded that the capacity and network benefits of a subway were required. Transit City was a flawed plan that deserved criticism, absolutely. But it's not the Fords who got progress on the DRL to where it is today.

I do hope that the design of the DRL continues under the new premier, with construction ASAP. But let's face it, nobody has a clue what this new government is going to do.

^Doug says a lot of things that aren't true. He lies as much as his brother did. He might advance the DRL, he might not. But don't conclude that it's happening just because Doug says he wants it.

I don't know how anyone can argue with a straight face that the man who said "the downtown people have enough subways already" was somehow responsible for moving the DRL forward. It's like arguing that black is white. The Don Mills LRT was incorporated into the DRL not because of Rob Ford, but because it was assessed by professionals who concluded that the capacity and network benefits of a subway were required. Transit City was a flawed plan that deserved criticism, absolutely. But it's not the Fords who got progress on the DRL to where it is today.

I do hope that the design of the DRL continues under the new premier, with construction ASAP. But let's face it, nobody has a clue what this new government is going to do.

You are correct no one knows and that goes for any Politicans. Let's judge him on what he promised to move forward in a 4 years time. Bottom line he has a majority so no excuses not to expect them to push their promises reasonably.

Also I belive it was his brother who made the comment of Downtown transit having enough subways and Doug clarified in the previous municipal campaign that he is not the exact same as his brother. Which is why I'm more hopeful well see a City wide approach for once. We will see.

Last edited:
I’d prefer to stretch and have some first-rate in place of half-assed. I’m glad that plan bit it and I like the current discussion. This was never going to be cheap if we didn’t want second best.
I would rather have had half as many lines built fully assed, instead of twice as many half-assed ones.

Basically, Eglinton subway (YYZ to Malvern), DRL (Downtown West up to Seneca College) and GO RER,

Followed by B-D extension to Honeydale (and maybe Kingston Road) and Sheppard (from Downsview to STC). buses for the rest.

You are correct no one knows and that goes for any Politicans. Let's judge him on what he promised to move forward in a 4 years time. Bottom line he has a majority so no excuses not to expect them to push their promises reasonably.

Also I belive it was his brother who made the comment of Downtown transit having enough subways and Doug clarified in the previous municipal campaign that he is not the exact same as his brother. Which is why I'm more hopeful well see a City wide approach for once. We will see.
Doug Ford and "reasonably" are two concepts that don't go together.

If Doug is his own man and can't be judged by his brother, then you can't use Rob's supposed advancement of the DRL as evidence that Doug would do the same. But the fact remains that Doug hitched his wagon to his brother from the start and campaigned on continuing his legacy. The two were attached at the hip and publicly supported everything the other did. It's perfectly reasonable to project Rob's actions onto Doug, especially when Doug has no platform.

Other politicians have a costed platform when they try to get elected. So even if they only partly implement it, you have a much better idea of what they'll do than with Doug's vague promises that don't add up.

Doug Ford and "reasonably" are two concepts that don't go together.

If Doug is his own man and can't be judged by his brother, then you can't use Rob's supposed advancement of the DRL as evidence that Doug would do the same. But the fact remains that Doug hitched his wagon to his brother from the start and campaigned on continuing his legacy. The two were attached at the hip and publicly supported everything the other did. It's perfectly reasonable to project Rob's actions onto Doug, especially when Doug has no platform.

Other politicians have a costed platform when they try to get elected. So even if they only partly implement it, you have a much better idea of what they'll do than with Doug's vague promises that don't add up.

There is zero doubt they have a very similar political vision. Subways are the priority in Toronto, period. Doug campaigned with the DRL, whereas Rob went far more polarized on the inner suburban apathy towards Transit City. So there is a difference in what they've said on the record and a difference in what they've campaigned on. Its fair to be skeptical but as you say we cant conclude anything yet. I mentioned before I see many reasons why building the DRL benefits the Fords moving forward so until he changes his promises the good news it is on the books. Id be more concerned for any non grade separated transit in this City as neither have ever had any interest in the least bit.

Last edited:
We have to wait a few weeks or a few months until we know what they are actually doing this term, but at this point I am cautiously optimistic on the Relief Line. There are some benefits for them in funding Relief Line Short, even if it doesn't directly bring them any new seats.

On the other hand, light rail lines that are in design but not signed off will be definite casualties. We have three on the books: Eglinton West, Eglinton East, and Waterfront; at most one of them (quite possibly zero) will advance in the next 4 years.

As of Sheppard East LRT, it died well before Doug Ford got elected and certainly will not resurrect at this time.

I'm aware that he said they would be keeping AD2W to Niagara and Kitchener was a promise made about Barrie too? Barrie might be the most important line to be RER long term imo as it will link so many TTC lines together (Lines 1, 2, 5, 7) and has so many investments going into it rn. Do we expect DD Grade Separation to continue btw?

One also has to wonder if improving LSW service basically implies the same for LSE . . .
I think Barrie is continuing as planned for now. I want to see the plan for Milton.

All day GO will go ahead but whether it's electrified or the timetable is pushed back will be the open question. This of course can be laid at the feet of the Liberals and Metrolinx who they took their orders. It was amazing how the Liberals and Metrolinx could spend so much money and have nothing to show for it.

The only rail line they have managed to open is the UPX giving Toronto the embarrassing title of being the only planet on the city that runs diesel trains to it's airport. The fact that the ridership is horrid on a line that could have very high ridership also exemplifies their ineptitudes. The Liberals decided they wanted a line for Bay Street and Torontonians be damned. As far as more grade separations, electrification, and EMUs go, well that could also nearly be done if Metrolinx didn't put parking garages as their first priority.

As for GO, it's ridership numbers in the last few years have only been going up by about 2% per annum.........the rate of population growth. When you consider the billions spent and the huge increase in frequencies, the results have been embarrassing. This again is due to the Liberals and Metrolinx failing to understand basic math............people can only take the transit they can afford. A lesson you would have thought they would have learned with the UPX but alas such was not the case.

There is zero doubt they have a very similar political vision. Subways are the priority in Toronto, period. Doug campaigned with the DRL, whereas Rob went far more polarized on the inner suburban apathy towards Transit City. So there is a difference in what they've said on the record and a difference in what they've campaigned on. Its fair to be skeptical but as you say we cant conclude anything yet. I mentioned before I see many reasons why building the DRL benefits the Fords moving forward so until he changes his promises the good news it is on the books. Id be more concerned for any non grade separated transit in this City as neither have ever had any interest in the least bit.
He could fully intend on funding the DRL. But when he inevitably finds out that his "efficiencies" won't add up to anywhere close to the billions that his tax cuts will cost, anything is fair game to get cut. I truly hope that you're right and my skepticism is misplaced. But I'm not holding my breath.

Should be remembered that John Tory was the Ontario Progressive Conservative leader. So both John Tory and Doug Ford should have common ground when they talk with each other at meetings.

Should be remembered that John Tory was the Ontario Progressive Conservative leader. So both John Tory and Doug Ford should have common ground when they talk with each other at meetings.

Well we want to have a city Mayor who can talk to any provincial premier.

It remains to be seen how well that works though. Despite both persons being in PC, they don't seem to like each other a lot.

Well we want to have a city Mayor who can talk to any provincial premier.

It remains to be seen how well that works though. Despite both persons being in PC, they don't seem to like each other a lot.
You're being too diplomatic and polite. They despise each other. As much as Tory is 'not my man' (and I'm not averse to conservatives) he's much more my man than The Ford will ever be.

Back