News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Kind of off topic:

With the DRL now funded and work is at a stage where planning has progressed significantly (approximate station locations, station entrances, etc), but the project itself is not "shovel ready", I'm wondering if the cancelled Eglinton West subway line was past the stage where the Relief Line is currently at.

I've never seen any planning documents or technical drawings related to that project, yet the project was at a shovel ready status (a pit was dug and later filled in at Eglinton West station), and I'm just wondering if there are any such documents that exist.

... I'm wondering if the cancelled Eglinton West subway line was past the stage where the Relief Line is currently at.

Yes.

Construction of a TBM deployment location (giant hole) had started on Eglinton West BUT the actual level of design/engineering work is probably about the same as the Relief Line. They knew where the stations and tunnels would go but not much beyond that. At that time, (up to and including the Spadina Extension), projects were typically designed during construction in order to tighten the timelines and lower the cost. The risk with that method is that the final price isn't known.

Today we put an emphasis on a known fixed price but that means knowing exactly where you will hang the signs on the new stations prior to digging the tunnel despite half a decade between those 2 jobs.

The relief line, if built using old methods would likely have utility moves and other prep work underway, TBMs ordered, and be close to tendering the tunnel boring portion.

Kind of off topic:
I've never seen any planning documents or technical drawings related to that project, yet the project was at a shovel ready status (a pit was dug and later filled in at Eglinton West station), and I'm just wondering if there are any such documents that exist.

You can see a couple of very basic station location drawings and basic descriptions here: https://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5112.shtml

I do find it interesting that they talk about the establishment of a "York City Centre" since I haven't heard of such a plan with the Crosstown even though it will end at roughly the same place as the subway.

Last edited:
You can see a couple of very basic station location drawings and basic descriptions here: https://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5112.shtml

I do find it interesting that they talk about the establishment of a "York City Centre" since I haven't heard of such a plan with the Crosstown even though it will end at roughly the same place as the subway.

I believe at one point that area was considered for a stadium for the Raptors to play at.

A high-density node served by the subway on Eglinton would have been awesome. If you go on TO Built, you can see drawings of the kind of development that was proposed for York City Centre along Eglinton Avenue West. Links to the TO Built database don't always work, but you can look up "York City Centre Phase 1" using the site's database search feature.

A high-density node served by the subway on Eglinton would have been awesome. If you go on TO Built, you can see drawings of the kind of development that was proposed for York City Centre along Eglinton Avenue West. Links to the TO Built database don't always work, but you can look up "York City Centre Phase 1" using the site's database search feature.
It says it was proposed by Dumez North America.

If you say that the wrong way, it sounds like DUMMEEZ or dummies. Hmm...

Back at the thread...............

Tonight`s debate will be crucial as Ford will not be able to set the agenda or have his yahoo crowd with him. He will have to answer pointed questions. As I have said earlier, all Ford has done thus far is tell Ontarians all the taxes they will save, how he will balance the books, and how he will not cancel most transit/infrastructure plans or layoff civil servants and that of course is the easy part. It`s easy to say all the great things you are going to do and how will change Ontario by getting rid of a highly dislike Premier and corrupt party. Tonight however he will have to explain how he is going to pay for it all and yet balance the books.

Brown`s rather reasonable policy book has been thrown out the window and now Ford has to say how he will replace it as he has stated nothing how he will pay for all his promises. The NDP however have been very proactive and already have a fully costed platform they can defend. No matter what Wynne does, she is disliked and people are in desperate need of a change at Queen`s Park but Ford was the worst choice the Tories could have made. If Horvath can perform well, the centrist/left of centre will rallyl around the NDP.

The Tories have NO growth potential and much of it's support is soft due to most Ontarians being very leery/afraid of a Ford government. The Liberals have NO growth as they have been in power a long time and have a disliked leader and much of their support is also soft as many say they support them only because they don't really see an alternative. The NDP could make huge gains from disaffected Liberals, Green horrified at the prospect of a Ford win, and even some centrist Tory voters who are not really Tory supporters but rather just anti-Wynne and have yet to see a viable alternative and yet are offended by Ford.

At the CityNews debate, Doug Ford promises to “close the loop” in Scarborough — extend Sheppard subway to STC — , then suggests the Crosstown LRT through Scarborough should be in a tunnel. Billions on overbuilt infrastructure.
Explicitly says he'll build the "Downtown" Relief Line and bring subways to all of the GTA.

Also 2-way all day GO to Niagara. No RER mention.

Because the province will take over design and build from the TTC!
Or more particularly from the city of Toronto. The TTC is a creature of the city.

If that were to happen, the province would be taking over transit construction from a province-sized municipality that has shown itself incapable of proper metro-wide decision making on transit since the 1996 amalgamation. The city is responsible for this. The TTC’s management is a function of the direction provided by the city.

Got to watch some of the debate.

It became quite clear that if transit is any sort of priority, then Conservatives are not the party to vote for. Ford responded as though he was running for Mayor, with support for the SSE, Sheppard and not much else.

Or more particularly from the city of Toronto. The TTC is a creature of the city.

If that were to happen, the province would be taking over transit construction from a province-sized municipality that has shown itself incapable of proper metro-wide decision making on transit since the 1996 amalgamation. The city is responsible for this. The TTC’s management is a function of the direction provided by the city.
I was quoting Doug

If Doug Ford thought that Toronto City council was large, the he is going to find that a legislative assembly with over 100 members is even harder to manage. The opposition MPs would be one thing. There could be 55 or more of his own stripe to keep in line.

Long story short. There is only so much you can do by order in council. Sooner or later, the approval of the legislature is required. And somehow that means about 55 people see the world from your point of view. It will be hard to get more than 62 MPPs to make Toronto the centre of he transit universe. Ottawa, 905 and that conservative bastion in the tri-cities will make their needs known.

Back