News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Can this be real?

Screenshot_2018-05-07-22-57-29.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-07-22-57-29.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-07-22-57-29.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 557
I watched the debate and was rather gobsmacked. All of the poll questions had Doug leading, except the final one ... who would you vote for (although he led that one pre-debate)

Heaven help us.

See my prior post. He can do anything he likes if he can convince 62 other sentient human beings to agree.

Are you sure there's a requirement they be sentient? I didn't recall that in the statutes! Seems ahistorical to me. ;)

Do you guys think that the NDP government will be as willing as the Liberals to move forward on large project, such as DRL North? Their campaign materials seem to focus more on transit operations than expansion.

Do you guys think that the NDP government will be as willing as the Liberals to move forward on large project, such as DRL North? Their campaign materials seem to focus more on transit operations than expansion.
It's a good question, especially in light of how limited funding will be for either party, let alone any of them.

At the end of the day, as long as the OntDippers keep their wits about them (which is questionable, they've lost the competence they had a generation ago). things will unfold much they way they would/will under the Libs.

You make a bit a presumptive statement though:
"as willing as the Liberals to move forward on large project, such as DRL North"...I see Metrolinx incrementally moving on this, I don't see any great commitment, and the City is just playing empty games with the southern leg. (The City has no funding)

The answer for any of these projects at this time is almost inevitably P3. And instead of arguing "if"...it should be "how"?

Explicitly says he'll build the "Downtown" Relief Line and bring subways to all of the GTA.

Also 2-way all day GO to Niagara. No RER mention.
He has mentioned that he would contribute "5 billion on top of existing commitments" which continues my figuration that he plans to continue any plans that currently exist - though the comment about an underground Eglinton is rather peculiar.

DRL North is years away from being shovel ready. Won't be shovel ready in the next 4 years anyway, so don't think any promise would make sense

It's a good question, especially in light of how limited funding will be for either party, let alone any of them.

At the end of the day, as long as the OntDippers keep their wits about them (which is questionable, they've lost the competence they had a generation ago). things will unfold much they way they would/will under the Libs.

You make a bit a presumptive statement though:
"as willing as the Liberals to move forward on large project, such as DRL North"...I see Metrolinx incrementally moving on this, I don't see any great commitment, and the City is just playing empty games with the southern leg. (The City has no funding)

The answer for any of these projects at this time is almost inevitably P3. And instead of arguing "if"...it should be "how"?

If the NDP literally just photocopied the Liberal platform and slapped an NDP sticker on it, they'd have my vote. It isn't the Liberal platform that's giving me pause, it's who's selling it.

DRL North is years away from being shovel ready. Won't be shovel ready in the next 4 years anyway, so don't think any promise would make sense

Yes, that's true. Just as long as nobody taps the breaks (and continues making modest planning funding investments), this should continue relatively under the radar for at least the next term or so.

It does raise an interesting conundrum because the TTC is in need of both expansion and operational assistance, so what is more important?

It does raise an interesting conundrum because the TTC is in need of both expansion and operational assistance, so what is more important?

Capital, IMO. While some of the projects in the pipeline (Finch West, for example) will result in an increase in the per passenger subsidy required, many of the projects in the pipeline (Relief Line, Eglinton, etc) will result in more efficient service delivery per passenger, and will lower the overall operating cost per ride. Not to mention the ability for the TTC to re-deploy buses from Eglinton and Finch West to other areas to boost service. Just simply throwing more buses at the problem, which is what greater operating dollars would effectively be doing, doesn't actually solve the issue, it just masks it.

The biggest "operations" item that the TTC needs help with is SOGR, which is still quasi-capital investment and is being helped out a lot through PTIF.

If the NDP literally just photocopied the Liberal platform and slapped an NDP sticker on it, they'd have my vote. It isn't the Liberal platform that's giving me pause, it's who's selling it.
And that's a message Horwath had best expound even more than present. Claim to have (truthfully or not, this is politics) a panel of advisors on the issue, and she not only matches Wynne's claim, she surpasses it.

I've often said elections are like polling for the bus driver of your choice, but the vehicle and route are fixed.
many of the projects in the pipeline (Relief Line, Eglinton, etc) will result in more efficient service delivery per passenger, and will lower the overall operating cost per ride.
And therein lies an excellent case for going P3. Let the private investors pick the vehicles and delivery, let alone operational parameters, to serve what will be a financially rewarding endeavour. And 'off the books' for Gov't for the most part.

That leaves the 'unprofitable' aspects to be addressed by Gov't, since they don't show an immediate fiscal reward, but a societal one in the long term.

Well, remember the political stripe that was in power when Transit City was hatched. We will see transit, but maybe a tinkered strategy.

The NDP is playing more to transit operations as that's where the union members currently are.

The interesting part is how the NDP would handle contracted transit operations - those that exist, and those that are planned. The NDP platform is opposed. That is likely the opposite of where Doug would go - the whole point of bringing the TTC under provincial control would be to contract it out and break their union. The other municipal transits are further along the contracting curve, so they might be left alone.

- Paul

Back