News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Got to watch some of the debate.

It became quite clear that if transit is any sort of priority, then Conservatives are not the party to vote for. Ford responded as though he was running for Mayor, with support for the SSE, Sheppard and not much else.

I told y'all he'd take his 2014 mayoral campaign platform and co-opt it to provincial 2018. And tactically he's brilliant to do so. "Burying" the Crosstown will win him votes throughout suburban Toronto from the silent majority whom are mindset that the Crosstown, as it being built today, does not suit their needs.

So now we are wasting money on Eglinton. Does that mean Finch gets cancelled. DRL gets delayed further? I guess as someone who lives on Eglinton I should be happy. At the very least i can say to myself that my property values went up. Why should I care about transit anywhere else. Just like why should i care about any transit that does not buy votes. We need leaders who can think for themselves not just do everything people want them to do.

Yes, absolutely!! After the Liberals allowed the SRT to rot for over 15 years and show no expedience in building out its replacement, I think the electorate is mighty fed up with their lies and manipulations on the transit file by now, no?

Ford's the credible alternate to that. SSE, Sheppard, Crosstown Subway, DRL Phase 1, Hamilton LRT, ION LRT phase 2 into Cambridge. We may even see the advancement of DRL West which is being put off indefinitely by the Liberals.

Yes, absolutely!! After the Liberals allowed the SRT to rot for over 15 years and show no expedience in building out its replacement, I think the electorate is mighty fed up with their lies and manipulations on the transit file by now, no?

Ford's the credible alternate to that. SSE, Sheppard, Crosstown Subway, DRL Phase 1, Hamilton LRT, ION LRT phase 2 into Cambridge. We may even see the advancement of DRL West which is being put off indefinitely by the Liberals.
You mean after the City of Toronto allowed the SRT to rot and show no expedience on building out its replacement. We had a shovel ready plan to do it, but it was the City that decided we should waste what will be 2 decades doing nothing.

Ford has virtually no credibility.

He offered nothing credible on transit except a rant about poor Scarberians in the cold.

It's the same 'SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS' nonsense he and his late brother used during the municipal election.

There is one component to the NDP plan that lends greater credibility to it beyond the potential appeal of a Liberal photocopied plan but with a change in management. The NDP are at least musing about revenue to pay for it. The Liberal tactic is debt, more debt, lying and shady accounting tricks. It’s essential the government combining the financial philosophy of a generation of Canadian’s who have become debt illiterate with the moral and ethical standards of Wall Street prior to the financial crisis. I won’t be voting NDP but at least if you want big government have the guts to pay for it.

So now we are wasting money on Eglinton. Does that mean Finch gets cancelled. DRL gets delayed further? I guess as someone who lives on Eglinton I should be happy. At the very least i can say to myself that my property values went up. Why should I care about transit anywhere else. Just like why should i care about any transit that does not buy votes. We need leaders who can think for themselves not just do everything people want them to do.

Wasting money on Eglinton is precisely what the status quo is doing. If you want the Crosstown to be a true alternative to Bloor-Danforth, you ought to grade-separate the whole thing, especially when there's still availability of land for ROW (elevated, trenched, tunneled).

You mean after the City of Toronto allowed the SRT to rot and show no expedience on building out its replacement. We had a shovel ready plan to do it, but it was the City that decided we should waste what will be 2 decades doing nothing.

Did the 2013 by-election of Mitzie Hunter never happen, where she famously proclaimed the SSE would be shovel ready within a matter of months of her getting elected?

Or further back, the RTES report of 2006 which recommended a subway replace the SRT before David Miller got reelected and shoved this Transit City nonsense down everybody's throats?

People have long memories. Just like how y'all can't get over Mike Harris, I hold the same resentments.

Wasting money on Eglinton is precisely what the status quo is doing. If you want the Crosstown to be a true alternative to Bloor-Danforth, you ought to grade-separate the whole thing, especially when there's still availability of land for ROW (elevated, trenched, tunneled).

Did the 2013 by-election of Mitzie Hunter never happen, where she famously proclaimed the SSE would be shovel ready within a matter of months of her getting elected?

Or further back, the RTES report of 2006 which recommended a subway replace the SRT before David Miller got reelected and shoved this Transit City nonsense down everybody's throats?

People have long memories. Just like how y'all can't get over Mike Harris, I hold the same resentments.

That's complete Bullshit. As stated here in the TTC Board Meeting Minutes from Wednesday, August 30, 2006:

"Upgrading The Scarborough RT Line To Accommodate Larger, New-Generation RT Vehicles Is The Lowest-Cost Option To Accommodate Projected Demand, And To Encourage Increased Transit Ridership In The Corridor;"

"It Would Not Be Cost-Effective Or Justifiable To Replace The Existing Scarborough RT With An Extension Of The Bloor-Danforth Subway. Also, Such A Change Could Not Practically Be Implemented In The Time Frame Required For Replacement Of The Existing Aging RT"

"Upgrading Of The Line Is Estimated To Cost $190 Million (2006 $) And Will Require That Service Be Disrupted For Up To Eight Months;"

You can read it all here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com..._meetings/2006/Sept_20_2006/Minutes/index.jsp

Ford Nation is not too good with facts.

The best part of the report:

Commissioner De Baeremaeker Moved Adoption Of The Staff Recommendation Embodied In The Report, As Listed Below:

Well, it is something to turn an 8 month disruption into an 18 year one.

That's complete Bullshit. As stated here in the TTC Board Meeting Minutes from Wednesday, August 30, 2006:

UT is one of the few places with long enough memory for BS to be called. And even the RTES report of 2001/2 didn't call for BD extension to STC.

AoD

Last edited:

"Upgrading The Scarborough RT Line To Accommodate Larger, New-Generation RT Vehicles Is The Lowest-Cost Option To Accommodate Projected Demand, And To Encourage Increased Transit Ridership In The Corridor;"

"It Would Not Be Cost-Effective Or Justifiable To Replace The Existing Scarborough RT With An Extension Of The Bloor-Danforth Subway. Also, Such A Change Could Not Practically Be Implemented In The Time Frame Required For Replacement Of The Existing Aging RT"

"Upgrading Of The Line Is Estimated To Cost $190 Million (2006 $) And Will Require That Service Be Disrupted For Up To Eight Months;"

You can read it all here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com..._meetings/2006/Sept_20_2006/Minutes/index.jsp

I feel like this should be stuck to the top of every page in every Scarborough subway thread.

Last edited:
But what about the ferris wheel?

The NDP are at least musing about revenue to pay for it.
Huh? Reference please.

The Liberal tactic is debt, more debt
lol...careful you don't trip over your mantra there. If anything, QP has taken a sharp bend towards P3. As touched on in the Three Headed Monster snarl last night. Except two of the snarling heads have more than a basic understanding of economics and politics.

And then there was poor Dougie. He didn't get a bone. It's a pretty big concept for him to grasp. Hey! Subways, Subways, Subways....

5 billion dollars isn't much in transit building land. It probably only buys a Sheppard east extension (where it shouldn't be extended right now)

You said it...

Dang right, I said it. I'm not going to pretend that the past 15 years hadn't happened any more than you'll likely let go of Harris/Eve's nine years in office. At least a brand new subway line was built under the latter's tenure for under $1 billion. Kind of gives credence to the 'finding efficiencies' motto of the Tories, whereas TYSSE cost well over $3 billion.

Back