News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Considering what they did to Toronto last time they were in power, I don't think they care.
Last time, transit wasn't as big of an election issue as it is now. They are totally aware of the reality of 2018 so yes, I maintain that they are fully aware of backtracking on the Relief Line would be suicide for 2022

Last time, transit wasn't as big of an election issue as it is now. They are totally aware of the reality of 2018 so yes, I maintain that they are fully aware of backtracking on the Relief Line would be suicide for 2022
I hope you're right. But Doug is a small, spiteful man so nothing would surprise me.

I hope you're right. But Doug is a small, spiteful man so nothing would surprise me.
He is all those things, but I don't doubt his will on subways. If anything, he's more likely to cut elsewhere to make it happen... which isn't a good thing either hence why the PC won't get my vote

PC will build the DRL. Not doing so would be suicide for 2022, Toronto-wise. However, I'm giving up on hope that DRL Long opens before or at the same time as YNSE...let alone built at all

DRL is not happening under the PCs. My personal bet. Downtown Toronto won't vote PC. But Scarborough, Etobicoke and the 905 might. So that's where any subway money is going. They'll finish Eglinton and Finch West. And build the Scarborough subway. Beyond that, transit will be 905 focused. GO Train improvements and Yonge North.

And when I say 905 focused, I don't mean all projects. I think there's a real possibility we'll see the cancellation of LRTs in Hamilton and Mississauga. With GO expansion giving them cover. I'm also worried about what will happen in Ottawa.

We're going back to the anti-Toronto, anti-urban 90s PCPO. Despite Doug Ford being from Toronto. I think with Patrick Brown, the DRL might have been started. With Ford? I wouldn't count on it.

What suicide? You mean the ridings that won't vote for them in 2018, won't vote for them in 2022?

Ask yourself a simple question. How many ridings would flip PC if they built the DRL? Alternatively, if they spent that money on HSR to London or Yonge North, how many ridings would flip PC? There's your answer on what will be getting built.

What suicide? You mean the ridings that won't vote for them in 2018, won't vote for them in 2022?

Ask yourself a simple question. How many ridings would flip PC if they built the DRL? Alternatively, if they spent that money on HSR to London or Yonge North, how many ridings would flip PC? There's your answer on what will be getting built.
If Denzil Minnan Wong doesn't win, does that kill any chances of the DRL?

PC's won't win any seats in the areas served by DRL Phase I (downtown to Pape/Danforth).

However, there seem to be substantial business interests in favour of the Relief Line. Downtown-based companies are starting to feel that the crowding on Yonge line is affecting their productivity.

Thus the scale of their contributions to PC campaigns might, to some extent, depend on them funding at least the shortest possible version of the Relief Line. And the said funding might translate to better results in other ridings.

Well, at least I hope that such reasoning will work. Doug can always surprise on the negative side though.

I'm not even sure the DRL would be supported by the NDP if Ford was heavily subways. Even Miller was not much of a supporter. This is the kind of deliverable for Ford that will drive the Left insane, watching the Conservative provide for their faithful voters their most important piece of infrastructure. The casualties under Ford are all LRT lines. DRL is safe IMO

Last edited:
However, there seem to be substantial business interests in favour of the Relief Line.

Like who? Developers care a lot more about being allowed to expand on the greenbelt than being forced to build more low margin condos.

Downtown-based companies are starting to feel that the crowding on Yonge line is affecting their productivity.

I suspect, they'll tow the line though, when he cuts corporate taxes.

And the said funding might translate to better results in other ridings.

Again. What ridings would it actually flip? Game it out. Because that's what the PC backrooms are doing. "Might" won't be good enough. They'll have real polling data and they'll know what will sell and what won't.

The only solace here is that Ford really doesn't have a platform. And despite his dislike of John Tory, the rest of his party would probably want to see Tory persevere. So they'll do what it takes to bolster Tory. But even that's a long shot from me. They could easily revert to 90s Harris mode. "We don't care what Toronto thinks. You get what we give you. End of discussion."

I'm not even sure the DRL would be supported by the NDP if Ford was heavily subways. Even Miller was not much of a supporter. This is the kind of deliverable for Ford that will drive the Left insane, watching the Conservative provide for their faithful voters their most important piece of infrastructure. The casualties are all LRT lines under Ford. DRL is safe IMO

Provide for their faithful voters? Most of the ridings that will go blue tomorrow aren't in the 416. And only a fraction of the residents of the ridings that are in the 416 that will go blue, would take the DRL.

If I were a PC strategist, I'd put that money into GO RER or HSR to London before I spent a dime on the DRL. That's just political reality.

Like who? Developers care a lot more about being allowed to expand on the greenbelt than being forced to build more low margin condos.
Yeah, developers are definitely craving the most expensive land in the GTHA to build and provide servicing and infrastructure to, over developing in fully-serviced areas. :rolleyes:

If what it comes down to is making money on land, then building transit unlocks incredible amounts of development potential and therefore money. The Relief Line North would be a prime example of this.

Provide for their faithful voters? Most of the ridings that will go blue tomorrow aren't in the 416. And only a fraction of the residents of the ridings that are in the 416 that will go blue, would take the DRL.

If I were a PC strategist, I'd put that money into GO RER or HSR to London before I spent a dime on the DRL. That's just political reality.

You misunderstood. I was implying he would be providing part of the Holy grail of downtown transit for the Lefts faithful voters. It will pay dividends for upcoming elections as he can claim that hes delivering where Left failed . Its a Political wedge and a statement to the critics that will be attacking his personal life to no end, it will help keep his base solid and claim that hes unfairly under attack. If he delivers the DRL the attacks will look even more petty. Its a no brainer politically for a piece of infrastructure badly needed.

Last edited:

GO RER is already funded no?

Based on what happens on Thursday, transit could be set back 10 years or more, with various projects cancel, shelve or water down. Some may leap frog over the ones we need first.

What maybe funded today, may not be down the road.

I do know Ford will not get my vote and look forward to the next 4 years under this leadership been worse than good old Mike, that we are still dealing with the fall out under this leadership on transit. Transit plays very little outside the GTAH, and has more to do with Hydro.

I mean banks / insurance companies and other big employers. Not condo builders.

Again. What ridings would it actually flip? Game it out. Because that's what the PC backrooms are doing.

Swing ridings, that could be very far from downtown or even from 416. They still need money to advertise their candidates.

"Might" won't be good enough. They'll have real polling data and they'll know what will sell and what won't.

I have no insider data; just heard a number of times that some downtown-based employers feel another subway is needed to keep their workforce fully productive.

Again, that's an exercise in reasoning. Doug might do something completely different if he gets in.

Back