News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The same could be said of almost any governing party in Canada. It is exceedingly rare for a party to with with an actual majority of the popular vote.

GO RER is already funded no?

Not in any firm sense. There are funds that could be used for that project or any other capital project or even a tax cut.

The $22B price tag (some of which is operations in 2050 at expected 2050 salaries) attached to the tender is high enough I expect it will be tinkered with.

Last edited:
I get what you are trying to say, but what were you expecting after we had 8 years under Miller who took the City as far away from subways as possible with a poorly designed LRT plan and no attention to the DRL? Rob was under enough opposition on council (not the Province) to remove the transfer for the Scarborough RT and get Sheppard subway moving forward for his actual supporters who agreed the transit plan under Miller was completely off the mark. There was little room or time to get around to the DRL even before his downfall. Doug will not have a polarizing anti-inner suburban subway council to deal with if he has a majority. I see many logical and political reasons why he will move towards building the DRL. Both this line and the SSE with stops are big trophies to hold above the critics.
If Miller had stayed on for another 2 terms, the on-street LRT from Pape Station northward may already have been under construction now.

Don Mills was never going to be on street directly north of Pape. It would probably have been tunnelled up to the north side of the Don Valley, much like Eglinton is through it's central section.

Don Mills was never going to be on street directly north of Pape. It would probably have been tunnelled up to the north side of the Don Valley, much like Eglinton is through it's central section.

I wouldn't assume anything In the Bombardier - Miller era. Details didn't matter so much as to getting new orders filled.

The same could be said of almost any governing party in Canada. It is exceedingly rare for a party to with with an actual majority of the popular vote.

The Liberals had under 38 percent last time.
True, and and the fact that a party with a minority of votes can get the majority of seats is one of the biggest problems with our system.

In any case, I was just correcting a statement that was blatantly false.

Except on transit. He pretty much copied what Patrick Brown had put down

It is worthless even if it is in print - it is pretty clear he will say almost anything to get elected. Proof of the pudding is always in the eating.

That's like saying the Eglinton Crosstown would never become on-street before the Don Valley Parkway, oh wait!

Different circumstance - Pape is hardly comparable to Eglinton.

AoD

It is worthless even if it is in print.

AoD

As worthless as any party.

But I clearly remember in the early days Rob and his team negotiating heavily with the Province and Federal governments for the transit funding and solution as he promised. Only to have a polarized council shoot down the agreement with the Province.

So I can give the benefit of the doubt that In a majority Doug will atleast have the full ability to do better. There is little patience to do nothing in transit these days, which is why he's campaigning heavily on it. Delivering transit the people actually support the most will shake the hardest critics. Only makes sense he pushes subways forward

As worthless as any party.
But I clearly remember in the early days Rob and his team negotiating heavily with the Province and Federal governments for the transit funding and solution as he promised. Only to have a polarized council shoot down the agreement with the Province.
So I can give the benefit of the doubt that In a majority Doug will atleast have the full ability to do better. There is little patience to do nothing in transit these days, which is why he's campaigning heavily on it.

I also remember Rob/Doug claiming that the private sector will pay for it too, so there you have it (and also recall Doug sat in on that meeting with the developers). And the province has already committed their portions of the funds - which btw was no different than what was promised before.

I don't call ripping up one plan and replacing it with another minus money spent - and then messing up because of one's failure to govern properly an "achievement".

AoD

Last edited:
I also remember Rob claiming that the private sector will pay for it too, so there you have it. And the province has already committed their portions of the funds - which btw was no different than what was promised before. I don't call ripping up one plan and replacing it with another minus money spent an "achievement"

AoD

The plan he tore up was pretty bad. He also had massive voter support to tear it up and still does. Surely he claimed alot of BS like any Politician but he worked hard to actually deliver well connected, grade seperated transit as he said he would only to have a very reasonable recommended solution stonewalled. The momentum to build subways is there and it will be much easier compared to that era

Last edited:
The plan he tore up was pretty bad. He had the support to tear it up and still does. Surely he claimed alot of BS like any Politician but he tried to deliver what he said he would only to have a reasonable recommended solution stonewalled.

Stop running around in circles - the fact is, he talked out of his as* couldn't get sh*t done. Don't tell me if the plan before was "pretty" bad, because I am sure it is worse than nothing at all.

AoD

Stop running around in circles - the fact is, he talked out of his as* couldn't get sh*t done. Don't tell me if the plan before was "pretty" bad, becau9se I am sure it is worse than nothing at all.

AoD

I already explained who exactly prevented him from getting things accomplished. He had a deal in place with the Province and support of almost all Scarborough councillors and MPPs to do better. Sure it's easy to claim he did nothing when a large part of council is not the least bit supportive of other areas voters.

Im not a fan of doing nothing but doing nothing was the better option than leave such a poorly integrated and traffic increasing legacy. We can agree to disagree but it will be much easier and fair to judge Doug with a majority government rather than critize Rob for being stonewalled on a one vote polarized council.

Last edited:

Back