News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Justin Trudeau sounds off against Premier Doug Ford over labour unrest in Ontario schools

From link.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief
Tues., Oct. 1, 2019timer3 min. read

Justin Trudeau is schooling Premier Doug Ford over the labour unrest in Ontario schools.

The federal Liberal leader, who wants to link Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer to the Progressive Conservative premier, sounded off against Ford on Tuesday in Richmond Hill.

“I am a parent with kids in the Ontario public system and I really wish that Doug Ford would spend as much time focusing on my kids’ school as he does focusing on supporting his federal party,” Trudeau told reporters.

His comments came as 55,000 Canadian Union of Public Employees members are working to rule in hundreds of Ontario schools and teachers are in bargaining talks against a backdrop of increased class sizes.

Lashing out at Ford’s “cuts and austerity” measures, Trudeau warned Scheer will bring more of the same.

“Now, Andrew Scheer is telling people across the country to double down on Conservative leadership, to double down on the kind of cuts that Doug Ford is bringing in,” he said.

“He’s even got the same approach on platform, he’s not releasing his costed platform. You know who did that? Doug Ford did that,” said Trudeau, referring to the 2018 provincial Tories.

“Why didn’t he release a costed platform? Because he didn’t want people to know that all he was going to do was cut services for people and cut taxes for the wealthiest.”

As the Star revealed on Monday, Ford, who has no plans to campaign for Scheer, wants to keep his powder dry until after the election.

But provincial Tory sources confide that the premier, who extended the legislative recess until a week after the Oct. 21 election to help Scheer, is “getting sick of the cheap shots” from Trudeau.

Education Minister Stephen Lecce said “while the prime minister is hyper-focused on electioneering for votes, I will focus on keeping our kids in a safe learning environment.”

“It’s regrettable that the prime minister is politicizing the bargaining process, placing his own political self interest ahead of the interests of students and parents,” said Lecce.

“Ontarians want the negotiating process to be above politics and focused on their kids’ future — this has been my mission since day one. I will be undeterred from my focus on investing in our children’s future and landing a deal that puts our kids first,” he said.

A very savvy political move by Trudeau to associate Scheer with the toxic Ford.

I get the distinct impression that the blackface controversy has already been forgotten by most people, or ignored in the first place.

A very savvy political move by Trudeau to associate Scheer with the toxic Ford.

I get the distinct impression that the blackface controversy has already been forgotten by most people, or ignored in the first place.
Looking at the polls it is the only play by Trudeau right now as things are not looking great for him nationally..

His party will get destroyed west of ontario..

The bloc is rising in Quebec so chances of him following his father in sweeping Quebec are gone...

Eastern canada will not see a sweep again and the question is how.many seats they will lose there.

I think he will get a minority but I dont see how Trudeau is getting a majority as I expect a lot of liberals from 2015 to stay home this time.

I agree with Andrew Coyne on this one. This is a nothing election. The stakes have never been so low. The Liberals don't deserve to be re-elected but neither do the Conservatives nor do the other parties deserve to surge in popularity.

The black and brownface scandals as well as the insurance broker scandals are nothing. Why are they nothing? Because they don't move the needle much. What does the black and brownface scandal tell me? That Trudeau has questionable judgement, questionable moral and ethical standards and is probably a bit of a douche. Trouble is that is what I already think of him but I voted Liberal last election anyway. Scheer lied to pad his incredibly thin resume outside politics. Great but I already know his resume outside of politics is thin and that he does and says and makes up all kind of stuff already. It wouldn't change my opinion if I decide to vote Conservative.

The Liberals are trying to leverage the "extreme" Ford government in Ontario to move the needle on Liberal support here. That's great except there is absolutely nothing extreme about Ford's government. Any decision with even the least bit of meat on it the Ford government has made has been rolled back. They are largely maintaining the status quo. While left-wing commentators are piling on Ford the reality is that he is all talk. In his Federal election purgatory in the US he is all down there saying he's Republican through-and-through while governing Ontario to the left of the Democratic Party. The public sector unions are all up in arms over the nothing the Ontario PC government is doing so they need to strike before even talking to anyone to fight the evil fascist Ford government who hasn't even done anything yet. It's mostly manufactured conflict theatre.

In 2005 Andrew Scheer raised serious concerns about the dual-citizenship of former governor-general Michaëlle Jean before she gave up her French citizenship to assume Canada’s highest post.

Jeez I hate this parade of boutique tax cuts and credits that are being trotted out by all sides. The latest from the Conservatives is to lower the threshold for volunteer fire and SAR employees to be eligible for the credit. Apparently it will help fund "gear and training". I didn't know they paid for their own fire trucks. How does a credit on a personal income tax filing pay for equipment?

Latest @niknanos + Globe + CTV party tracking poll:
LIB 36.3%, CON 34.3%, NDP 13.8%, GRN 8.2%, BQ 5.9%, PPC 1.2%.

Latest @niknanos + Globe + CTV tracking poll for preferred PM:
@JustinTrudeau 33.0%, @AndrewScheer 27.2%, @theJagmeetSingh 10.3%, @ElizabethMay 6.5%, @yfblanchet 3.4%, @MaximeBernier 2.3%.

Latest @niknanos + Globe + CTV party tracking poll:
LIB 36.3%, CON 34.3%, NDP 13.8%, GRN 8.2%, BQ 5.9%, PPC 1.2%.

Latest @niknanos + Globe + CTV tracking poll for preferred PM:
@JustinTrudeau 33.0%, @AndrewScheer 27.2%, @theJagmeetSingh 10.3%, @ElizabethMay 6.5%, @yfblanchet 3.4%, @MaximeBernier 2.3%.

That seems like a large swing in the daily tracking numbers.......could be an outlier, if not, looks some Green votes have shifted Red

If Scheer is filing US taxes, that means he has bigger connections to the US than most of us. If you have mutual funds, you may have to pay a foreign tax, but not file a US tax form. If Doug Ford has a business in the US, he also has to file a US income tax form.

Back