News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I wouldn't in their shoes. I would continue the attrition strategy. It's delivering dividends. The Russian rate of artillery is dropping. There is grown dissension amongst their leadership. They are getting worn down. Once the Russians are close to breaking then the AFU will strike.

Should be explained that the need for cluster munitions was so that they could preserve their conventional artillery stocks for the main effort.

They got put into this situation by not being given adequate air power, air defences and long range fires. Pretty hypocritical of the West to expect Ukraine to fight and accept losses that we never would.
Absolutely agree. They are the ones dying, not us (the West). They get to decide which approach works best for them to minimize casualties while maximizing offense. It's been slow but methodical, and it's working gradually. The Ukrainians are hammering Russian supply lines and depots far behind enemy lines, and are retaking territory every single day. I think the rest of us were just spoiled by their lightning quick advances last fall, which set up similar expectations for this offensive.

When it finally ends and the world knows the true extent of the crimes, they will become even more of a pariah state - the outlook for countries like that will be grim. So much for restoration of Empire.

AoD

I hope you're right. I fear you are wrong.

Unfortunately, principles don't drive geopolitics. If they did, the Chinese economy would be a lot smaller.

I hope you're right. I fear you are wrong.

Unfortunately, principles don't drive geopolitics. If they did, the Chinese economy would be a lot smaller.

Being a political/economic vassal of China is for sure on their original menu - because it ain't going to be an actual, durable partnership on the basis of shared values, culture and ideals. In the meantime, their demographic indicators are not going anywhere but down. In a way, it's a "good" thing the war happened - it shook us in the west from our collective slumber a bit - no peace in our time, the end of history s**t anymore. Back to a quasi bi-polar world.

AoD

Last edited:
Ukrainian claims but comparing like for like certainly shows that the counteroffensive is certainly moving faster than the conventional narrative.....

Also, lines up with complaints from Russians themselves:

You almost have to feel sorry for their losses just from a humanitarian perspective. But war is war - there can be an accounting of the inhumanity of it afterwards.

AoD

Fascinating, but isn't he well off the message track sharing these details?

In what way? None of this is news to the Russians. Presumably they know their losses. It does substantially contradict the narrative that the counteroffensive is a failure and hasn't achieved much. This is clearly setting up for some real gains later in the Summer and in the Fall.

There's video out now:

There's video out now:

Too bad they didn't hit the main span - that would have been considerably more difficult to repair. Maybe they should try a barrage next time.

AoD

Too bad they didn't hit the main span - that would have been considerably more difficult to repair. Maybe they should try a barrage next time.

AoD

1) It was probably a USV. Not a missile.

2) Bridges are very difficult targets for missiles. They have a small profile (thin line) to hit.

3) The more missiles or USVs you use, the higher the likelihood of your attack being detected by defences and engaged. It's a regular balancing act between stealth and mass.

Back