News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Tanks require the generals to be in on it. I don't see that. I see something more like a growing mob of angry conscripts. Kinda like 1917.
I'm not sure generals are all that pleased with Putin right now.

Don't mistake me saying this as saying a revolt is inevitable, because I'm not. Just like I'm not worried about nukes, I'm merely commenting on the situation.

Also given the recent times article discussing how Ukraine has coordinated their offensive and how Zelensky has had direct involvement in creating the plans, Putin must be feeling even more humiliated.

As Lady Bracknell said... "“'To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.” One might say the same to Mr Putin!

(CNN)Russian businessman Ivan Pechorin, the top manager for the Corporation for the Development of the Far East and the Arctic, has been found dead in Vladivostok, the latest in a string of mysterious deaths among Russian executives.
"On September 12, 2022, it became known about the tragic death of our colleague, Ivan Pechorin, Managing Director for the Aviation Industry of the Corporation for the Development of the Far East and the Arctic," reads a statement from the company published Monday. ..... Pechorin is at least the ninth prominent Russian businessmen to have reportedly died by suicide or in unexplained accidents since late January, with six of them associated with Russia's two largest energy companies." See: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/13/business/ivan-pechorin-death-russia-intl/index.html

Australia is really showing up Canada. And we're a NATO member FFS. Canada produces one of the best IFV/AFV in the LAV series, but we send no armed variants to Ukraine? Apparently we sent 39 unarmed LAVs, without turrets, sights, etc. WTH?

How the hell can this thing defend itself?

02f62bedf1e77038-jpg.686943

This is what we should be sending!
lav-6-0-jpg.686942

I think Canada has yet to send a single cannon/mg or rocket armed vehicle to Ukraine.

Last edited:
How the hell can this thing defend itself?

It drives away?

You don't use ACSVs to fight. You use them for command posts, medical carriers, communications posts, etc.

But you can also use them as "battle taxis". Drive to a protected area near the battle area and dismount. They provide protected mobility. Occupants are protected from small arms, artillery blast and shrapnel and IEDs.

They can also be equipped with Remote Weapons stations that can install a whole bunch of different weapons. Here's an example firing from trucks:

I will note that unless we make the weapons in Canada, we don't have the authority to export them. It's up to the Ukrainians to get weapons they want to mount on there.

IFVs would be great. But APCs aren't completely useless either. We buy them for a reason. And they are on par or better than the Bushmasters Australia is sending. Those are closer to the Roshel Senator armoured trucks we sent from Mississauga.

Last edited:
I will note that unless we make the weapons in Canada, we don't have the authority to export them. It's up to the Ukrainians to get weapons they want to mount on there.
Is that really a barrier to Canada’s sending Ukraine armed LAVs? I can’t imagine the US blocking the inclusion and export of the LAV’s M242 Bushmaster cannon to Ukraine.

Is that really a barrier to Canada’s sending Ukraine armed LAVs? I can’t imagine the US blocking the inclusion and export of the LAV’s M242 Bushmaster cannon to Ukraine.

No idea. But you should note nobody has sent Western IFVs or tanks to Ukraine. And that includes the Americans. I personally don't know why. But this seems to have become a hard line in NATO.

It could also be practical considerations. For all the demands from the Ukrainians, the Americans have been very careful to calibrate support to what the Ukrainians can absorb and support. Sometimes to the frustration of the Ukrainians.

It would appear that a Canadian volunteer fighting w/Ukraine is now a Russian POW:

Misinformation, my mistake in republishing.

Last edited:
It would appear that a Canadian volunteer fighting w/Ukraine is now a Russian POW:

View attachment 427053

Guess you don't know the joke or memes behind "Canadian Ukrainian Volunteer". The hint is in the bicycle. It's part of a tale he made up of running deep recon in Kherson.

Guess you don't know the joke or memes behind "Canadian Ukrainian Volunteer". The hint is in the bicycle. It's part of a tale he made up of running deep recon in Kherson.

Missed that one, my bad. I followed the link from an account I monitor and which has proven reliable; but was unfamiliar w/this.

No idea. But you should note nobody has sent Western IFVs or tanks to Ukraine. And that includes the Americans. I personally don't know why. But this seems to have become a hard line in NATO.
Hmm.. Well there can only be so many salvageable T-72s, BMPs and BTRs left in Europe to send to Ukraine. Eventually the Ukrainians are going to need Abrams, Bradleys and LAVs. Of course the Russians leaving behind hundreds of IFVs and tanks in the Kharkiv region must help to replenish Ukrainian stocks. I can only imagine that Ukraine’s army and civilian heavy equipment mechanics are working overtime.

But what’s stopping the Germans from releasing Leopard 2 tanks, or supporting Spain and other Leopard 2 operators from sending tanks to Ukraine? If you’re sending Gepards, why not Leopards? I wonder if it’s the Americans nudging the Germans to delay?

With its newly arrived Abrams, Poland now has the largest tank force in continental Europe. That would have been handy in 1939.

Last edited:
Ukraine has a defence industrial base second only to Russia itself. It was Ukraine that made the Soviet Union strong. So they have the ability to process and restore captured kit. And Poland has jumped in to help, doing repairs in a safe rear area.

Should we give more? Absolutely. I'd argue to turn over all our tanks and most of our M777s. But we don't seem to be ready to move quickly to donate and then backfill with rapid procurement. That said what we've pledged isn't useless either. Brand new ACSVs will be useful.

Eventually the Ukrainians are going to need Abrams, Bradleys and LAVs.

This is a popular talking point. But keep in mind the Ukrainians are fighting T-72s and T-80s themselves and they have compensated for a shortage of large calibre barrels with missile tubes. War is not a card game when you line up statistics and the higher stat wins. The goal is to line up your strength against the enemy's weaknesses while minimizing exposure of your own weaknesses. The Ukrainians are proving to be masters of this.

Back