News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As much as I'm happy that candidates and vox populi are focusing on the ballooning safety issues on the TTC, I'm also quite concerned that everyone is ignoring the bigger elephant in the room and that being housing and the need for more support for creating and aiding people towards having a roof over their heads. The crisis is literally being contorted into crime, safety and more support on the TTC instead of addressing the other cogs in this social issue.

Going by the latest news in real estate, this is going to get even worse as the housing market froths up again and with record immigration throwing fuel to the fire.

Last edited:
I get it that safety on the TTC is making headlines and is an easy campaign issue, but could all the mayor hopefuls please let us know:

1) How they will improve housing affordability (through zoning changes, increased public housing & otherwise),

2) Improve city services, and

3) Do so sustainably (use Toronto Act powers for new revenue streams or else institute reasonable property tax increases).

This is not a left v right wing election to me. There are plenty of NIMBYs and can kickers on both sides of the spectrum. Let's deal with the issues that are actually really important and within the ambit of municipal politics. Grandstanders need not apply, of any political stripe.

Get a look. Who might like this? Not me.

Get a look. Who might like this? Not me.

As political ads go, I don't think its terrible, but it feels a bit off to me.

I think the first thing that hits me with it is actually the knock on Bradford's previous 'Scarborough' video in many ways.
It feels like he's trying too hard. By which I mean it feels like an un-natural set of words and pacing for Bradford, such that it comes off a bit disingenuous.

Apart from that:

I get the 'action' vibe and that could have some appeal; but the problem for Brad (and most existing councillors) is that he voted for non-action every year for the last 5, he was on the budget committee that crafted and promoted
said non-action, and I think if he's going to come out and call that 'wrong' he's going to need to do some sorta mea culpa for his role in it.

As with most campaign videos, particularly the short/ad-like variety, it lacks much in the way of specifics. That's not unique to Bradford; but as mentioned by @A Torontonian Now above, we need clear, specific solutions to the housing crisis, to deterioration of City services; and we need a clear, credible means of paying for that.

As with most campaign videos, particularly the short/ad-like variety, it lacks much in the way of specifics. That's not unique to Bradford; but as mentioned by @A Torontonian Now above, we need clear, specific solutions to the housing crisis, to deterioration of City services; and we need a clear, credible means of paying for that.
We're not going to get that. Voters don't give a hoot about policy details - they respond to empty, simple slogans.

We're not going to get that. Voters don't give a hoot about policy details - they respond to empty, simple slogans.

I don't think that's always true, or mostly true; I think its true somewhat, some of the time.

But by talking about what matters on your social media, by doing the same to neighbours, family and co-workers, and by voting yourself (and others, myself included, doing likewise), its possible to hope for
the electorate, on balance, to make a good, thoughtful decision.

As political ads go, I don't think its terrible, but it feels a bit off to me.

I think the first thing that hits me with it is actually the knock on Bradford's previous 'Scarborough' video in many ways.
It feels like he's trying too hard. By which I mean it feels like an un-natural set of words and pacing for Bradford, such that it comes off a bit disingenuous.

Apart from that:

I get the 'action' vibe and that could have some appeal; but the problem for Brad (and most existing councillors) is that he voted for non-action every year for the last 5, he was on the budget committee that crafted and promoted
said non-action, and I think if he's going to come out and call that 'wrong' he's going to need to do some sorta mea culpa for his role in it.

I counted one shot, just that flyover of the 401 as a token to the other parts of Toronto. The rest of the video is downtown or the tony parts of Toronto.

The video just screams Karen to me.

I don't think that's always true, or mostly true; I think its true somewhat, some of the time.

But by talking about what matters on your social media, by doing the same to neighbours, family and co-workers, and by voting yourself (and others, myself included, doing likewise), its possible to hope for
the electorate, on balance, to make a good, thoughtful decision.
Why aren't you running? You'd fill your platform with substance - automatic vote from me!

But who has the best campaign slogan so far? A good slogan does go a long way when campaigning.

Ana Bailao
Services. Housing. Affordability.

Brad Bradford
Less Talk. More Action.

Josh Matlow
For a city that works.

Mitzie Hunter
A mayor who will make our city work for everyone.

Gil Penalosa
Toronto for Everyone

Why aren't you running? You'd fill your platform with substance - automatic vote from me!

Serious answer:

I would only run if I thought I could win; making a serious attempt takes lot of $$ and experienced political operatives who have expertise in 'getting the vote out' and ads and all sorts of myriad nonsense that gives me indigestion.

I'm not 'unknown' in the City, but I don't have high name recognition either. Getting through 5, 6, 7 % to the point where you're in a debate is real challenge.

Having been at the front of a room in public meeting or two over the years, I'm not good at not rolling my eyes when hearing someone say something mind-numbingly stupid.

I think a detailed policy platform is great and people who could read though my 2,000 page treatise would likely vote for me; LOL; but regrettably that is a small part of the electorate.

I'm not a baby-kisser (unappealing and not overly hygienic as far as I'm concerned) LOL; I don't like parades (anyones); I'm not about to campaign on cancelling any, but I don't want to be in or at any either. (people's fascination with watching other people walking is really weird to me, suggests we may need to put something better on TV) LOL

Campaigning is expensive, and exhausting; I wouldn't say 'never'; but I'm probably better suited to being someone's policy wonk that the glad-hander in front.

I counted one shot, just that flyover of the 401 as a token to the other parts of Toronto. The rest of the video is downtown or the tony parts of Toronto.

The video just screams Karen to me.
A large part of that video is shot in South Etobicoke in the Humber Bay Area. Not downtown, nor "Tony".

Back