News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So far, Gary Crawford hasn't thrown his hat in the ring. I'm surprised but I guess there is still time. He's posting the same amount of stuff on Facebook and Twitter as usual, unlike Bradford .

So far, Gary Crawford hasn't thrown his hat in the ring. I'm surprised but I guess there is still time. He's posting the same amount of stuff on Facebook and Twitter as usual, unlike Bradford .

You're surprised? Really? I know Gary (not friends, but we know each other), I've never heard of whisper of that, nor did I ever seem the type. What has you thinking otherwise?

You're surprised? Really? I know Gary (not friends, but we know each other), I've never heard of whisper of that, nor did I ever seem the type. What has you thinking otherwise?

Gary is my local councilor and while I think he would make a good mayor he is heavily focused on issues in the ward.

I too cannot see him running for mayor.

I'd be surprised to see her run; I have difficulty envisioning her path to office except by an incredibly favourable vote split.

Her presence though might be enough to sink any other left-centre candidate.
Maybe that vote split is the thing. The more high-profile/celebrity candidates that join the lower the FPTP bar is set, which then attracts more long-shots to enter as it gets even more likely someone can win it all on under 30% support.
This could turn quickly into a farce of also-rans trying to make a comeback. It's not like you need a huge sum of money for a campaign in Toronto, and the media will eat it up and give everyone their airtime for free to campaign (since it means they don't have to pay to produce anything to fill that space).

I'd be surprised to see her run; I have difficulty envisioning her path to office except by an incredibly favourable vote split.

Her presence though might be enough to sink any other left-centre candidate.

As a lifelong NDP member she is old news. She was the Jackie to Jacks JFK, now that he is gone she is well known in NDP circles but not as popular as she once was with the general populus.

The time for her to make a run was when the 2012 Leadership campaign happened. She chose not to run and then lost her seat in 2015.

She is the person people look back on with fondness but only for an older generation of NDP supporters.

Her political career and any clout she had died with Jack.

If she runs for mayor she will end up being the next Joe Pantalone.

I think what you said Richard is slightly unfair to Olivia Chow's own legacy (she's so much more than just Jack Layton's wife), but your points are otherwise valid. The 2014 mayoral race was her last big chance at political office, and she's moved on - she was not a great campaigner, and lost the interest of many younger progressives, including myself.

I think what you said Richard is slightly unfair to Olivia Chow's own legacy (she's so much more than just Jack Layton's wife), but your points are otherwise valid. The 2014 mayoral race was her last big chance at political office, and she's moved on - she was not a great campaigner, and lost the interest of many younger progressives, including myself.

I concur, she is more than just Jacks wife but at the same time you're right she was a sucky campaigner.

I would vote for her however I don't think she would do well overall.

Olivias time has come and gone. She'd definitely help a left candidate get some votes, but she wouldn't be a good candidate.

I heard she was trying to sound out support, but didn't get a great response. I hope personally Kristyn Wong-Tam runs for office, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Back