News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bradford with another video that isn't getting the reaction he hoped for.......

What's the opposite of a Midas touch? Where everything turns to lead?

And he’s announced today he’s running, to be a “strong mayor of action.”

I would not have been too surprised if he stepped back, given the competition on the right/centre-right between Saunders, himself, and Bailao. But he has the city lobbyists and prominent Conservatives backing him too, he couldn’t let them down.

And he’s announced today he’s running, to be a “strong mayor of action.”

I would not have been too surprised if he stepped back, given the competition on the right/centre-right between Saunders, himself, and Bailao. But he has the city lobbyists and prominent Conservatives backing him too, he couldn’t let them down.
I would be surprised if Bradford can carry this to the end and win it. My gut feeling is he'll be drowned out from the noise of the other competitors. I think he'll get to grow some name recognition from this race and afterwards, the Ontario Liberals will be looking his way to run for a seat in 2026.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if Bradford can carry this to the end and win it. My gut feeling is he'll be drowned out from the noise of the other competitors. I think he'll get grow some name recognition from this race and afterwards, the Ontario Liberals will be looking his way to run for a seat in 2026.

You may be right, though the Ontario Liberals hold Beaches-East York already. I don’t think he’s that popular to run elsewhere, even though it’s a logical career move for him.

You may be right, though the Ontario Liberals hold Beaches-East York already. I don’t think he’s that popular to run elsewhere, even though it’s a logical career move for him.
True, however, Bradford could be pushed to a neighbouring riding, such as Scarborough Centre and Scarborough Southwest. The Ontario Liberals are going to need some strong candidates, especially in Toronto. If Bradford can raise his profile during this mayoral race, I can see him landing in a riding as an MPP in 2026.

That said, if his mayoral campaign really takes off, he could actually win. He has a solid team behind him. I still think this will come down to which candidate can raise the most money, who has the most support from higher profile individuals, who has the best strategy and who has effective messaging. At the moment, I think Ana Bailao is still going to have all of that and she'll be very competitive. A nice to have for her is it looks like she is going to have a lot of support from the current council - we know Chris Moise and Paula Fletcher are backing her. I hear rumours that councillors Paul Ainslie, Shelley Carroll, James Pasternak, Nick Mantas and Jennifer McKelvie are behind her, too. If Bradford wasn't running, I have no doubt he would be backing Bailao.

The other candidate who could surprise everyone is Mitzie Hunter. I'll be really curious to hear what she has to say once she officially announces her campaign.

The seat is currently held by former City Councillor Mary Margaret McMahon, who also backed Bradford's run for Council.

She's only 56 so I wouldn't anticipate a near-term departure. But its my impression she's not likely to stick it out more than 2 terms if the party doesn't return to gov't.

A nice to have for her is it looks like she is going to have a lot of support from the current council - we know Chris Moise and Paula Fletcher are backing her.

Paula Fletcher endorsed Bailao? Is there a source? I'm very surprised by that as Fletcher is a dyed-in-wool New Democrat and Bailao has deep Grit connections.

I would be surprised if Bradford can carry this to the end and win it. My gut feeling is he'll be drowned out from the noise of the other competitors. I think he'll get to grow some name recognition from this race and afterwards, the Ontario Liberals will be looking his way to run for a seat in 2026.

Despite Bradford's current low poll numbers and stumbling out the gate on social media, I would not count him out. He has the backing of a lot of movers and shakers, and seems to be the consensus candidate among Tory's inner circle. He'll bring in a lot of cash, especially from the real estate and development industries.

Paula Fletcher endorsed Bailao? Is there a source? I'm very surprised by that as Fletcher is a dyed-in-wool New Democrat and Bailao has deep Grit connections.

Despite Bradford's current low poll numbers and stumbling out the gate on social media, I would not count him out. He has the backing of a lot of movers and shakers, and seems to be the consensus candidate among Tory's inner circle. He'll bring in a lot of cash, especially from the real estate and development industries.

Last week I recalled hearing a radio commentator on an AM news show mention that Moise and Fletcher were backing Bailao and there are a lot more councillors who will endorse her too.

I don't count Bradford out at all. He could very well run the best campaign, raise the most cash and win the mayor's chair. And he does have a lot of movers and shakers on his team too. Ana Bailao, from my understanding, has more of Tory backers on her team (like Tom Allison and Nick Kouvalis) and has built a team that has advisors and strategists from all different political stripes.

Last week I recalled hearing a radio commentator on an AM news show mention that Moise and Fletcher were backing Bailao and there are a lot more councillors who will endorse her too.

I don't count Bradford out at all. He could very well run the best campaign, raise the most cash and win the mayor's chair. And he does have a lot of movers and shakers on his team too. Ana Bailao, from my understanding, has more of Tory backers on her team (like Tom Allison and Nick Kouvalis) and has built a team that has advisors and strategists from all different political stripes.

If you're talking about John Moore, take everything and anything he says with a grain of salt.

It's official!

City council declares Toronto mayor's seat vacant, kick-starting byelection campaign

From link.

Toronto City Council passed a motion Wednesday declaring the mayor’s seat vacant, officially kicking off the process of a by-election in June.

Nominations for candidates will open on April 3, and anyone interested will have until Friday, May 12, to register.

Torontonians will head to the polls on June 26 to elect the next mayor.

Between April 3 and June 23, individuals, corporations and trade unions who plan to spend money to promote, support or oppose a candidate in the mayoral by-election must register as a third-party advertiser.

The City Clerk must certify the registration before a third-party advertiser can spend money on their campaign, accept contributions or begin advertising.

The by-election for a new mayor was triggered after John Tory officially stepped down back on Feb. 17 after announcing he had an “inappropriate relationship” with someone who used to work on his staff.

Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie has assumed his duties on an interim basis and has said she will not be among the candidates running to replace him.

Toronto City Clerk sets Mayoral by-election for Monday, June 26

From link.

Toronto City Clerk John D. Elvidge has released the dates for the Mayoral by-election, subject to City Council declaring the vacancy and passing a bylaw requiring a by-election at its meeting March 29 to 31.
The City Clerk has set the following Mayoral by-election dates:
  • Nominations will open Monday, April 3 at 8:30 a.m.
  • Nominations will close Friday, May 12 at 2 p.m.
  • Advance voting will take place Thursday, June 8 to Tuesday, June 13
  • By-election will be held Monday, June 26
Electors will also be provided with the option to vote by mail.
During the March meeting, Council will consider recommendations from the City Clerk to formally declare the Office of Mayor vacant and to pass a bylaw requiring a by-election be held to fill the vacancy. These steps are required by provincial law.

The timing of the by-election is determined independent of Council by the City Clerk. Under the Municipal Elections Act, the City Clerk fixes nomination day (i.e. close of nominations) between 30 and 60 days after the passing of the bylaw declaring an office vacant. The by-election occurs 45 days after nomination day.

Although the City Clerk would not ordinarily fix or announce dates in advance of Council passing a bylaw, in this circumstance the City Clerk considers it to be in the best interests of the City, candidates and electors to announce the applicable by-election dates as early as possible. Making the dates public now also allows the City Clerk to start making preparations including hiring election staff and booking voting locations.

Potential candidates are reminded that under the Municipal Elections Act, a person may not incur campaign expenses or accept campaign contributions until after they have filed nomination papers with the City Clerk.

From an administrative point of view, a by-election for Mayor of Toronto requires the same efforts as a general election. The City Clerk will conduct the June 26 by-election in a similar manner to the October 24, 2022 general election.

The estimated budget for the by-election is approximately $13 million compared to the actual expenses of $14.5 million for the October 24, 2022 general election.

A Backgrounder on the City of Toronto mayoral transition process is available on the City’s media room webpage

I'm really curious what the turnout will be. We've already had 3 elections in the last 2 1/2 years.

Back