News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Has Olivia Chow said anything about road safety or Vision Zero during her campaign? I just had a look through her platform and I can't find anything. That seems like a pretty big omission. I see some stuff about transit, but nothing about safe cycling infrastructure, nothing about redesigning dangerous streets and intersections, and nothing about fixing traffic enforcement. I was planning to vote for her, but now I'm wondering whether I should.

Saw Chow at Dundas West Fest on Sunday, and then came home to her flyers at everyone's door, and on everyone's car.

Her first tweet lists "We can improve cycling infrastructure" as a way of reducing congestion
I have no doubt that Olivia, as a cyclist herself, understands the value of cycling infrastructure, and I'm glad that she has tweeted in support of Vision Zero and infrastructure improvements. I get that she's a frontrunner who's not trying to ruffle any feathers or give centrists any excuses not to vote for her, but I can't help comparing her public statements on traffic safety to Matlow's commitments, which come with specifics and real dollar amounts. Supporting Vision Zero is good, but Tory also claimed to support it and look where that got us. Honestly I'm not thrilled about any of the candidates and I'm still not sure who to vote for.

I had to laugh last week. A call came in, indentified as "Likely Fraud". I didn't answer. Later checked my voice mail and it was a robo-call from Brad Bradford. Likely Fraud, indeed.
You don't want to end up like Paul in Bradford's basement.

It takes the call or it gets the hose again.....

Supporting Vision Zero is good, but Tory also claimed to support it and look where that got us.
If you compare the bike infrastructure we had when Rob Ford was mayor and at the end of Tory's nine years (2014-2023) as mayor the improvements are remarkable. Tory was a big biz, car-scentric, fiscal conservative, so yes it could have been much better, but we have a good foundation now that Chow can build upon.

Last edited:
Has Olivia Chow said anything about road safety or Vision Zero during her campaign? I just had a look through her platform and I can't find anything. That seems like a pretty big omission. I see some stuff about transit, but nothing about safe cycling infrastructure, nothing about redesigning dangerous streets and intersections, and nothing about fixing traffic enforcement. I was planning to vote for her, but now I'm wondering whether I should.
It seems rather outrageous to me that she is cruising for coronation without laying out much of a detailed vision for the city.

It seems rather outrageous to me that she is cruising for coronation without laying out much of a detailed vision for the city.
And that is politics! That won’t change, ever.

That aside, with the strong mayor system I expect the political game in Toronto to change after this by election, to a small or large extent. I’ll watch with interest.

Any candidate can claim that they’d not use strong powers, but any of them would. And will. That’s politics.

If you compare the bike infrastructure we had when Rob Ford was mayor and at the end of Tory's nine years (2014-2023) as mayor the improvements are remarkable. Tory was a big biz, car-scentric, fiscal conservative, so yes it could have been much better, but we have a good foundation now that Chow can build upon.
I can only hope she does build upon that foundation, and boldly, if she's elected.

I voted for Olivia Chow this morning.

Matlow is my preferred choice, but I'm out of the city on E-Day and voted strategically in the event Saunders, Bailao or *gasp* Furey gain steam.

Still, as a voter who is typically slightly left-of-centre, Chow and her NDP background doesn't feel threatening to me. There are, what, 7-8 left wing members of council? Assuming she doesn't use her strong mayoral power, which she committed not to use, she will need the support of centrists on council to get things done.

If Chow wins, I expect she'll pursue a fairly middle of the road, centre-left legislative agenda. Enough to keep the downtown lefties happy, but not too far left that it causes an uproar from voters in Richview or Willowdale.

And that is politics! That won’t change, ever.

That aside, with the strong mayor system I expect the political game in Toronto to change after this by election, to a small or large extent. I’ll watch with interest.

Any candidate can claim that they’d not use strong powers, but any of them would. And will. That’s politics.
I thought the strong mayor powers only apply in specific areas the province has identified as a priority (such as building housing). In effect, I think it is just Ford putting his thumb on the scale and giving himself influence over council in an indirect way.

That's politics in Canada now. Everyone saw that Doug and the OPC could run without proper plans or policy and now everyone is going to sink to that level.
Voting is a low information game, the lack of a plan is a feature for people to lazy or ignorant to care otherwise, and a defense for candidates who's true intentions would never see them elected.

I thought the strong mayor powers only apply in specific areas the province has identified as a priority (such as building housing).
I thought so as well, but again low information voters are the goal here so everyone is acting like the Mayor can do whatever they like, but promises they won't, despite knowing they can't.

Back