News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^ This thread has gone sideways (again) but heck, as a person with an unusual name I’ve had to put up with all sorts of mispronunciations. I’ve done my best to pronounce others’ names properly as a result. Keep being respectful.

Btw I speak four languages, all fluently,

Try a name with strong Gaelic influences and see how many spell it or pronounce it. But you roll with it as most people are interested enough to ask. And on the flip side, I am absolutely horrible with accents and names, it’s a real weakness, and I find myself apologizing often and trying again. And I have been lucky to travel enough that the opposite should be true, but not so.

New Mainstreet: Chow 34, Bailao 25, Saunders 11, Furey 10, Matlow 7, Hunter 5, Brown 2, Bradford a Jakobek-esque 1. So Mainstreet's digging in on Bailao's behalf--yet Chow's margin increased 1 point.

And new Forum Research: Chow 29 (down 3), Bailao 20 (up 7), Saunders 15, Furey 11, Matlow 8, Hunter 5, Bradford 3. So now it isn't just Mainstreet showing a Bailao surge.

New Mainstreet: Chow 34, Bailao 25, Saunders 11, Furey 10, Matlow 7, Hunter 5, Brown 2, Bradford a Jakobek-esque 1. So Mainstreet's digging in on Bailao's behalf--yet Chow's margin increased 1 point.

And new Forum Research: Chow 29 (down 3), Bailao 20 (up 7), Saunders 15, Furey 11, Matlow 8, Hunter 5, Bradford 3. So now it isn't just Mainstreet showing a Bailao surge.

The "what ifs" here for Saunders not having run are really interesting.
It would probably be a Chow vs. Bailao race with either one possibly winning.

Last edited:
Overall the probability of Chow winning did practically not change:

Update of the two polls above will be added today!

IMG_0418.jpeg

I don’t really believe in this Bailao bump. Her campaign has been singularly bland and uninspiring and who’s really paying attention re endorsements?
Getting the endorsement of Tory and The Toronto Star may influence some people.

A few thoughts:

1. If Ford kept his ego in check, an endorsement by him for Bailao, the lesser of two evils versus Chow, over his preferred candidate Saunders, may have been enough to consolidate the anti-Chow vote.

2. At this point, I suspect Chow will have enough steam to win based on the enthusiasm of her base and her probable big margins in advance voting.

3. There will be significant party machine “Get Out The Vote” operations tomorrow. My NDP-affiliated council staffer friend is working on Chow’s campaign 9 to 9 tomorrow, and I expect Liberals will be mostly working for Bailao, and Conservatives will pull the vote for Saunders.

4. Does Gong get more votes than Bradford? That’s the big question.

I don’t really believe in this Bailao bump. Her campaign has been singularly bland and uninspiring and who’s really paying attention re endorsements?
Re the bump: "bland works"--it's how Eggleton won vs Sewell in '80. And better "bland and uninspiring" as an antidote to vewwy vewwy scawwy opponents.

But re bland *not* working: it's why she's still way behind Chow.

Re the bump: "bland works"--it's how Eggleton won vs Sewell in '80. And better "bland and uninspiring" as an antidote to vewwy vewwy scawwy opponents.

I find personally that Bailao is the continuity candidate, and there's no real difference between her and Tory's platform, besides Tory not being on the ticket.

Bailao was canvassing for support for her mayoral bid with Bonnie Crombie at the Liberal convention not too long ago. And this campaign from Bailao is what I'm expecting from Crombie, unfortunately.

I don't know that I'd say bland isn't working here; Chow's from the left, but she's still pretty mainstream. The right's efforts to paint her as a dangerous radical appear to be backfiring because she's manifestly not that. Chances are - if she wins - that they'll continue to do so no matter how timid or middle-of-the-road her administration actually is. Idiotically enough.

In the meantime, I'm surprised that practically none of the more credible up-and-comers have dropped out to endorse one of the leads. That way they might have some influence on the election, and possibly a more coveted role in the upcoming administration. With this many candidates, you'd figure there'd be at least a few whose common sense would overcome their egos.

A few thoughts:

1. If Ford kept his ego in check, an endorsement by him for Bailao, the lesser of two evils versus Chow, over his preferred candidate Saunders, may have been enough to consolidate the anti-Chow vote.

2. At this point, I suspect Chow will have enough steam to win based on the enthusiasm of her base and her probable big margins in advance voting.

3. There will be significant party machine “Get Out The Vote” operations tomorrow. My NDP-affiliated council staffer friend is working on Chow’s campaign 9 to 9 tomorrow, and I expect Liberals will be mostly working for Bailao, and Conservatives will pull the vote for Saunders.

4. Does Gong get more votes than Bradford? That’s the big question.
😂 I love 4

Speaking of Gong,, I was joking about the likelihood being something straight out of a BlahTO parody post--but he did, he really did have a Pride parade float and entourage.

He's truly the Monkey Christ of this election race, in the "no publicity is bad publicity" worst way possible (i.e. in the sense of travellers with no yen otherwise for well-thought-out "cultural tourism" going on a Monkey Christ pilgrimage--I'm scared that Gong's going to get *that* kind of duckface-selfie idiot vote).

Other Pride observations: Olivia (of course), Anacanapanacanailão, Matlow and Bradapalooza all had entourages, a Mitzie entourage was mysteriously AWOL (secret turmoil in that camp?), you'd probably imagine Furey to picture himself being "above" pandering to Pride, and as for Saunders, maybe the *real* eleventh-hour tragedy is how even if he *did* seek to attend, he would have been a toxic presence not on account of his politics, but because of the perception that he was asleep at the wheel when the whole Bruce McArthur thing was happening...

I also noted the lack of Saunders in the parade. Really a no-win situation for him, and rightly so. Olivia looked like she was having the time of her life, lots of hugs and photos and good vibes.

Back