Thank you so much! I've been looking for an answer for months now. This is good to know.

Are you of the opinion that the first thing a condo board should do is fire the developer-appointed property management company?

First, the Property Management firm is probably on a contract which the Board probably doesn't want to break as it would cost the Corporation in a payout, so I'd say roll with them and see how they perform for the first half year or so. If the Board finds they aren't efficient or are not meeting their needs then they need to setup a committee (owners can be called upon to help with this committee) to interview and cost-out other Property Management firms. The cost of the services of a new Property Management firm would also have to be worked into the second year budget, which the Board (with guidance from the current Property Manager) will guide the new Board in putting together a realistic budget. Good firms don't come cheap and although 500 is a pretty big building it may only be able to afford a certified Property Manager onsite perhaps one or two days a week, and then a Property Administrator another two, possibly three days a week - it all depends on what importance your Board places on a good firm and how many hours they feel it is necessary to have someone in the office each week. The first couple of years are tough in a new building, this is only one of many challenges the new Board will be facing. The bottom line is if the Property Management company is good, keep them - if not owners should send letters stating reasons for not renewing their services to the Board. Chances are if the owners are not satisfied with the services of the property management company the Board will probably recognize this also as they will be dealing with them very closely in the first couple of years, depending on them for guidance as they deal with all the issues they will be faced with and helping with a wide variety of important decisions that will have to be made.

Last edited:
It would be nice to have a gate so you can cut through the park....I agree.

in front of the building? You mean on the Sherbourne side? That's really not the front of the building. Um, I think it would have looked better without the fence, you're right but it's not that bad, I can live with it. Haven't noticed the water issue with the steps...I'll keep an eye out for it.

Really I would think since the address is 500 Sherbourne, that would be the front of the building, otherwise the address would be ### Wellesley Lane no?

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I've been looking for an answer for months now. This is good to know.

Are you of the opinion that the first thing a condo board should do is fire the developer-appointed property management company?

i would give them 1 year to see how good they are unless you already have one in mind with a great track record.

IIRC many realtors used to say that the prop mgmt co for 15 maitland place was very good, but i don't know who that is or if it's changed since ... that was about 10 years ago

I also would give the management company one year to proof that they are doing a good job in the condo owner's interest. The company knows the building and most of its owners and renters. I wouldn't want to take a risk the very first crucial year after registration when everything for everyone in the building is pretty new..

Really I would think since the address is 500 Sherbourne, that would be the front of the building, otherwise the address would be ### Wellesley Lane no?

Did you notice they changed the name of the street? Wellesley Lane became Lourdes Lane. I guess to match that church.

About a month ago a new street sign went up proclaiming the new name. It's right at the corner of Sherbourne and the lane in question. Personally, I prefer Wellesley Lane.

I would also consider the entrance on Sherbourne to be the "front" entrance. The steps are often wet, even when it hasn't rained recently, so I agree there is an issue with them.

Hoping this place closes soon so I can feel like a true owner and start building equity instead of throwing money into the occupancy hole! The thought of waiting until January makes me sad.

They only initially requested so many occupancy cheques from me and have not asked for more - and when the last one is cashed without a request for new ones I think this means closing is imminent. Or they are behind on telling people to give them more cheques, but they never seem to be slow to cash those cheques, so I doubt it.

So could anyone understand the pa announcement when the fire alarm was going of last night? all we could make out was something about stairs??

Also the silencer button in suite didn''t work. I have told Roseanne and will bring it up if I am home when they inspect the smoke alarms Monday.

Hey Legin,
I didn't even hear the fire alarm or PA announcement!!! Now I"m wondering if mine works, but I guess I'll find out when they do the inspections.
Erin

Building Quality

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but, from the residents, any thoughts on the quality of the interior of this building?

I just moved into the neighbourhood. Walking by 500 Sherbourne the quality of the precast looks pretty low, especially with those random drainage spouts sticking will-nilly out of the facade.

Any thoughts?

I guess it doesn't matter anymore since it's cold...but anyone know why the patio's closed? it's iluminated at night and looks finished...but the door's locked.

It could be a very nice little parkette if the dog walkers would clean up after their dogs; unfortunately, 8 out of ten (my observation) don't but hope for their dogs to dig it into the gravel

Back