News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No way is this an actual announcement of a new arena. The ownership group has already rejected a deal and have proclaimed that they "don't want or need a new arena deal," over 9M in sidewalks and solar panels. So the City of Cows has reached out to MSG - whereby they will build a new arena for any city of the planet and but have yet to involve the ownership group. I have an inside source who IS an employee of the fLamers group and the team has been sold to Houston 3.5years ago.......Bettman has told the group to do their due diligence before he brings the move to a vote.......

Maybe he can help get the never-ending exterior renovations completed

20230425_151853.jpg

No way is this an actual announcement of a new arena. The ownership group has already rejected a deal and have proclaimed that they "don't want or need a new arena deal," over 9M in sidewalks and solar panels. So the City of Cows has reached out to MSG - whereby they will build a new arena for any city of the planet and but have yet to involve the ownership group. I have an inside source who IS an employee of the fLamers group and the team has been sold to Houston 3.5years ago.......Bettman has told the group to do their due diligence before he brings the move to a vote.......
100% bullshit post there bud, your friend is full of it. Relocating a team is half the cost of expansion (so about $300M), the majority of owners in the league would need to approve the deal, and there has to be a business case that is superior to the one they already have. Flames Ownership is the same as it's been for the last while, nobody in Houston has any stake in the team. Nice try though... 😆

Thanks for helping fund our new arena Edmontonians! now all we need is a decent team to play in it! haha

Seriously though, I can't believe the Province is putting $300M towards this, you guys should be f'n pissed!!
You have no idea, but with the UCP not getting in next Month - this is all pomp and circumstance - NDP won't be parlaying this fraud into their future regime.......

I'm sure your "friend" is a very reliable source, but your post is still 100% BS. lol

I don't like provincial money going to this, but I bet they put pen to paper and sign off on this ASAP. The $300M from the province is for demolition costs and infrastructure upgrades. I would hope Edmonton can ask for a similar amount for infrastructure up there.

I'm sure your "friend" is a very reliable source, but your post is still 100% BS. lol

I don't like provincial money going to this, but I bet they put pen to paper and sign off on this ASAP. The $300M from the province is for demolition costs and infrastructure upgrades. I would hope Edmonton can ask for a similar amount for infrastructure up there.
No kidding. If we can get demolition of coliseum covered, that money could be put towards the pedestrian bridge that got axed in the recent budget discussions.

Or more fairly, have the province cover both and then some.

Last edited:

Smith said in her news conference that Cabinet won't approve the money until after the election, then made a pitch to be re-elected (despite this being a government, not campaign, event)

Just a quick reminder:

"Finance Minister Doug Horner gave a short reply when asked about the issue on Thursday.

"That’s Edmonton’s decision. It’s not ours."

Provincial politicians have long made it clear that the government would not directly fund the arena."

Here's another one:

Oh, and one more, this time from Danielle Smith herself:
"We would not provide funding to a new arena in Edmonton," said Ms. Smith

The UCP has a double standard. All the people who were against an arena in Edmonton would support one in Calgary.

Sooo…

"You know, I would have loved for it to have been done months ago, but I think it is pretty clear that this is an important decision. It's a big amount of money," Smith said.

"We wanted to make sure that it could be debated during the election, and we'd hoped we'd be able to get a mandate from the people of Calgary to go ahead with it."

In other words “Hey Calgary, I sure hope $300 million is a big enough bribe for you to vote for us”.

I would hope this shameless attempt at vote buying costs her any support she might have had in Calgary as well as the rest of the Province from anyone who thinks ethics belong in politics as well as elsewhere in our lives.

"Smith said the provincial Treasury Board and cabinet will approve the final funding in August. In the most nakedly political moment, Smith asked Calgarians to vote her back into office to ensure it happens."

Coun. Sonya Sharp said delicately that any government in office should honour the deal. The election comes May 29.

Will be interesting to see how NDP reacts. So far no comment from Notley on Twitter - focusing on health care.

You have no idea, but with the UCP not getting in next Month - this is all pomp and circumstance - NDP won't be parlaying this fraud into their future regime.......
If Notley wins the election, it will be due to seats won in Calgary as well as places like Lethbridge. Edmonton is already orange. There's zero chance that she would kibosh this funding if she was in premier's chair because of Calgary voters.

The bigger issue that is/should be in the back of everyone's mind is the fact that without a new arena, the Flames' future in Calgary becomes a serious question. That's not something anybody (even Oilers fans) should want.

The UCP has a double standard. All the people who were against an arena in Edmonton would support one in Calgary.
This is what happens when your city is a political battleground. Advantages come your way from the ruling party.

We saw the opposite happen after the 1993 federal election. Remember when the Chretien Liberals were consolidating military bases? CFB Calgary closed and CFB Edmonton was retained. Why? Because Edmonton elected four Liberals (including a soon-to-be cabinet minister) and Calgary voted Reform.

Back