News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Danielle Smith to Fraser Institute: "You know, I wonder if an error was made in choosing physician services to be under that umbrella [publicly funded healthcare], because not every time you go to the doctor is it essential".
It's a very risky position to take in Canada, but I understand the point she was making.

At my physician's office in Edmonton there's a big long list of fees on the wall for consultations not covered by Medicare: A physical for a driver's license renewal costs you money. A physical for work purposes costs money. A consultation for international travel (and the prescribing of required drugs or vaccinations) costs money. You could argue that in each case, a patient seeing a doctor is NOT doing so for essential reasons, and that's why there's extra-billing.

I always thought it was rather ironic that people are expected to pay for consultations in advance of travel. Isn't it in the interests of the health care system to ensure travelers leaving Canada have the required immunizations and preventive treatment? The irony is that someone who doesn't take preventive medication or isn't medically prepared for their trip, can return home to Canada with a tropical disease...at which point the health care system will treat them for free under Medicare.

"...Ken Boessenkool is the ultimate insider. Some in Smith’s own government and caucus share his views.

"They just wish he’d shut up during the election campaign."

That is a pretty concise summary of what is wrong with too many politicians and too many of their respective parties.

Either principles and core beliefs matter or they don't.

If they matter, they matter particularly during an election campaign which is where they should be presented and debated and decided upon by the electorate. On the other hand, if they don't matter during an election campaign, then they don't exist and those without open principles and core beliefs don't deserve our votes.

Kudos to Ken Boessenkool and shame on those who think he should shut up.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/br...vist/wcm/0c5d1f5d-3958-468e-894a-73ed2223a72a

Boessenkool is smart, articulate, experienced and certainly conservative. I have listened to him speak on Alberta politics on several occasions.

I get there is party loyalty especially during an election, so dissent is often suppressed, but I suspect many more in the party are privately thinking or quietly muttering to each other what Boessenkool is publicly saying.

I think it is a mistake to try sell a bunch of populist clap trap as conservative, plus there is a long history of bad judgement that seems to be continuing here. I suppose it will depend on the outcome of the election, which may be close, but I wouldn't be surprised if Boossenkool will soon be vindicated.

"...Ken Boessenkool is the ultimate insider. Some in Smith’s own government and caucus share his views.

"They just wish he’d shut up during the election campaign."

That is a pretty concise summary of what is wrong with too many politicians and too many of their respective parties.

Either principles and core beliefs matter or they don't.

If they matter, they matter particularly during an election campaign which is where they should be presented and debated and decided upon by the electorate. On the other hand, if they don't matter during an election campaign, then they don't exist and those without open principles and core beliefs don't deserve our votes.

Kudos to Ken Boessenkool and shame on those who think he should shut up.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/br...vist/wcm/0c5d1f5d-3958-468e-894a-73ed2223a72a
A really refreshing read that I think outlines what a lot of non-fanatical conservative voters have been feeling with Smith as leader. This quote especially:

“Danielle Smith is not a temperamental conservative. Indeed, she is rarely an ideological conservative. Instead, her politics amount to libertarian-laced populism, directly opposed to the sort of principled, incrementalist politics Albertans have appreciated from conservative governments in the past,”

IMO just wish people could see beyond party colours. Notley in a blue shirt but identical policy likely rivals King Ralph for time spent at the helm.

Boessenkool is smart, articulate, experienced and certainly conservative. I have listened to him speak on Alberta politics on several occasions.

I get there is party loyalty especially during an election, so dissent is often suppressed, but I suspect many more in the party are privately thinking or quietly muttering to each other what Boessenkool is publicly saying.

I think it is a mistake to try sell a bunch of populist clap trap as conservative, plus there is a long history of bad judgement that seems to be continuing here. I suppose it will depend on the outcome of the election, which may be close, but I wouldn't be surprised if Boossenkool will soon be vindicated.
Make sense when you see so many of the UCP candidates who are choosing not be re-elected going into this election. Definitely a party not on the same page.

And if this Take Back Alberta group has their tentacles in the UCP party as has been mentioned, they'll want their own candidates running in those ridings too.

And yet even with thot she still manages have her lemmings follow her in this city. For what? “Smith will protect our oil & gas industry.” So will Notley but at least Notley gives a rats ass about YEG.

Btw, love how the author….some punk out of 2 trade school proclaims “Alberta’s largest city.”

The Alberta NDP says they have raised a record $1 million in the first 10 days of the 2023 election campaign.

The party claims 5,430 new donors signed up in the first 10 days, 4,567 of them from the Calgary area. In total 12,563 Albertans have donated to the campaign in the first ten days.

As of May 10, the party says its election fundraising total has reached $1,030,166.

Back