News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It may depends on the actual views they have. Perhaps the west view is blocked. Can't say. However, I would prefer an unobstructed west-view over an unobstructed east view any day.

Hi,

Is there anything wrong with apartments on top floor and close to elevator? Will there be too much noise? Which are the "bad" floors/positions for apartments?

I used to live right across from the elevators and it does get noisy... I could hear elevator doors, kids screaming and leaving stuff on your doorstep, my dog barking every time it hears something.... i wouldn't do it again... :))))

in new pre-sale condos, is this true?

for the exact same unit/layout, one that faces EAST vs one that faces WEST, the EAST facing unit will be 'slightly' more expensive? ... that's the impression I got from looking at various new projects, what would be the reason?

I noticed that too. But it might have various reasons. I think in general if there are no particularly attractive views on either side, east will be more expensive because it doesn't get hot. During the day, the heat strikes directly into apartments when it's out. Hence it might get very hot. However if say there's a view on the west side but not on the east, then the price will balance out to be the same I think. I particularly prefer facing west rather than east because of the sunset view so it works well for me. All the better if west is cheaper. I also prefer not too be facing right up against another building which somehow turns out to be on the west side too.

Stay away from being close to the elevator, garbage and parking garages. Also stay away from ground floor units that you can directly enter from the outside. (more walking traffic in the hallways, still have to pay for elevator maintenance, chances of break in)

I prefer my units facing 1. South 2. East 3. North 4. West . I have lived in two west facing units and the heat becomes almost unbearable during summer and parts of spring and fall. If you don't constantly manage your blinds and have electronics near the window, you can damage your tv , leather sofa and worst your AC bill almost double.

South gives you that perfect stream of constant light throughout the morning and afternoon. Blind management is minimal because the sunlight coming in is mild and i felt happier living in south facing apartments.

East and North facing units are pretty similar in that minimal blind management if any is required. East gets a smidge more constant sunlight throughout the day vs north and thats why i pick it 2nd.

Lastly i personally like lower floor units as long as it is not facing outdoor parking or highway. I like nice views but enjoy more being able to sit on the balcony comfortably. Its not comfortable sitting on a small or narrow balcony on the 15th floor.

personally i would prefer a unit away from the elevators and anywhere b/w 5 and 10 .... i hate sitting out in the balcony on the 20th floor with the wind blowing everything around. I know a number of people that prefers levels 2 and 3 so they can easily get in and out without waiting for the elevators everytime but i think that's a little too low for me.

A note about view/exposure. I find that west is best. Floods of light after noon and of course sunsets. If you're really close to the lake, west is better than south in many cases. The lake offers nothing in terms of view at night, unless you enjoy looking at vast area of darkness. However, west views could offer you a half-view of the lake (since the lake sort of curves a bit), as well as a nice half-view of the city at night.

I prefer south and west, or both, myself. Sun is good for the head, especially in the winter and being a night person I prefer a sunset to a sunrise. Direct sun in the morning when one is a night person is not so great. In all the places I've lived over the years only once did I live in a suite that faced north which was a terrible experience for me. I had limited sun in the summer (early morning and evening), couldn't grow anything on my balcony or windows and no direct sun in the winter which really sucked. I liked the building so I went on a waiting list for a south facing suite but after half a year nothing came up, so I moved to where I am now.

For those who know something about how condo's are built can you give me feedback/opinion

My cousin is interested in moving in a new condo unit above retail that is adjacent to the big party room. Good thing is you can't enter the party room using the same hallway he would enter to the potential unit. But still you have to wonder how thick or sound proof the party room walls are between the hallway and unit walls. The other unit he has an option to moving in is on the same side of the floor but not directly adjacent to the party room and the view is not as good .

He rather take the room adjacent to the party room because of the slight view advantage. (he thinks resale value later could be better)

thoughts?

Last edited:
I think besides sound issue, there's also the amount of traffic. If there's a party, many people will be going in and out around the area. Of course it will be loud as well. But the party should end by 12am or so.

If a bedroom is on the other side of the party room I'd give it a definite no, if it's the living room that might be OK if the walls are relatively well soundproofed or if it's a load bearing wall. Take a ghetto blaster into the party room, crank it up loud and then do a sound check in the suite next door to see if sound carries.

For those who know something about how condo's are built can you give me feedback/opinion

My cousin is interested in moving in a new condo unit above retail that is adjacent to the big party room. Good thing is you can't enter the party room using the same hallway he would enter to the potential unit. But still you have to wonder how thick or sound proof the party room walls are between the hallway and unit walls. The other unit he has an option to moving in is on the same side of the floor but not directly adjacent to the party room and the view is not as good .

He rather take the room adjacent to the party room because of the slight view advantage. (he thinks resale value later could be better)

thoughts?

Well, I think he'll have sound transmission issues coming through his door and also through the wall. The sound will easily leak out into the hallway through the party room door. As far as how condos are built...I think the required STC rating between units is 50...which isn't that good....some builders do a better job than others with regards to soundproofing.

i have a west facing unit (unobstructed). Yes it can get hot during the summer sun but i prefer lots of natural light and i hardly turn on my lights when days are long. I also like facing west because I'll be home to enjoy the sun setting. Whereas facing east, i would enjoy a bit of the sun rise and then head off to work.

DON'T live near a garbage chute or right across from the elevators. Our building's garbage chute is still the old style metal swing-back and when the metal flap hits against the surrounding metal, the noise is quite loud.

I live in a unit that faces west, have no neighbours' doors across from mine, and doors to the left and right of my door are 15 feet away from mine. Also, my balcony is the only one on my side of the building so i am not sharing a wall with anyone's balcony.

I was lucky to find a unit like this but if had little choice, My priorities would be to find a unit located far away from the garbage chute and elevators.

I'll be moving into a North East corner suite at Market Wharf. Views will be unobstructed, but how would the natural light generally be particularly in the evenings? Obviously, the sun rises from the east. But how might the evenings generally be? I'm currently living on the ground floor so this will be an upgrade regardless. :)

Re the garbage chute: definitely check it out, but it isn't always a problem. I live across from the garbage chute and hardly ever hear it.

I live near the elevator and have had no real issues with noise or disruptions. The benefit of living near an elevator is bringing in groceries or other heavy items!

I also have a parking spot right next to the elevator vestibule which also makes things more convenient. From the car to my door in seconds (or vice versa).

Back