News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It makes you wonder why it took TTC 10 years to finlly buy these buses? A whole decade, can anyone really defend TTC here?

It makes you wonder why it took TTC 10 years to finlly buy these buses? A whole decade, can anyone really defend TTC here?

There was a bad experience with the last batch. Then the Federal government offered money for buses, itt insisted on "green" buses, and there was pressure to buy from Orion who didn't have any hybrid artics. I don't see how in the scope of all TTC operations this is anything more than a very minor issue.

Last edited:
"Slightly futher apart", meaning at least they aren't cutting the frequency in half. I would hope that "slightly further apart" means rather than every 5 minutes, running every 6 or 7 minutes. So there will still be a pretty significant increase in overall route capacity, when you consider that these buses hold double what the current ones do.

And all of this while getting a savings (or increased revenue from additional capacity) of $1 million per year. I'm sure it's actually a bit of both.

And I'd imagine that on a lot of routes that added capacity will be filled up pretty quickly. It's the same type of thing as adding an extra lane on a highway. At first it's less congested, but then people start changing their travel patterns, taking advantage of that extra lane, and pretty soon it's almost as clogged as it was before.

TTC bean counter will keep the same load capacity when they force higher headway for not only this bus, but the new streetcars and that a mistake.

By going to longer headway means there is no room to add new future riders as well maintaining existing conditions.

The longer the headway become, the less attract transit becomes for existing riders and those in cars at this time.

I can see Dufferin and King headway going with new vehicles by 1 minute, but anymore is only asking for trouble. Queen St needs the current headway for the new vehicles.

As TTC moves more to total accessibility, you will see more accessibility riders using the system more than deal with wheel tram. That will cut down on TTC operating cost for Wheel Tram with that saving being past on to regular service.

People are under impression you can stuff almost the double the number of rider on a 40' bus onto this bus and totally wrong. Current standards for 40's is 50 and 75 will be use for these buses.

In all my years riding articulated buses, the most I have every seen on one is 95, with people face on the front window in regular service. I have seen 105 on a special bus in the summer. If drivers are force to enforces the white line, you will never get 90 riders on this bus, since we are not one size nor carry nothing while on it. Add in stroller, shopping carts, luggage, let alone accessibility riders, number fall more.

TTC bean counter will keep the same load capacity when they force higher headway for not only this bus, but the new streetcars and that a mistake.

By going to longer headway means there is no room to add new future riders as well maintaining existing conditions.

The longer the headway become, the less attract transit becomes for existing riders and those in cars at this time.

I can see Dufferin and King headway going with new vehicles by 1 minute, but anymore is only asking for trouble. Queen St needs the current headway for the new vehicles.

As TTC moves more to total accessibility, you will see more accessibility riders using the system more than deal with wheel tram. That will cut down on TTC operating cost for Wheel Tram with that saving being past on to regular service.

People are under impression you can stuff almost the double the number of rider on a 40' bus onto this bus and totally wrong. Current standards for 40's is 50 and 75 will be use for these buses.

In all my years riding articulated buses, the most I have every seen on one is 95, with people face on the front window in regular service. I have seen 105 on a special bus in the summer. If drivers are force to enforces the white line, you will never get 90 riders on this bus, since we are not one size nor carry nothing while on it. Add in stroller, shopping carts, luggage, let alone accessibility riders, number fall more.

Current headway with longer streetcars will just make bunching worse. It will be a pain waiting a bit longer for a streetcar, but it should help ease bunching a bit.

Current headway with longer streetcars will just make bunching worse. It will be a pain waiting a bit longer for a streetcar, but it should help ease bunching a bit.

Today bunching is caused by many things with front door loading one of them. Going to all doors will cut down on that.

As for other causes for bunching, TTC is looking at that now and if changes take places for them, bunching will be a lot less.

You think you will be waiting a little longer for for a bus/streetcars when headway jumps more than a few minutes, tell me after a few years of operation I am wrong when there are less buses/streetcars on the road and that wait is a lot longer than now.

At times, you can have up to 30 minute wait on 29, as all the buses are in the other end of the route.

Seen it happen at St Clair where 30 buses pass me going north before one came south. Seen it at Queen St a number of times. In fact, I have a photo of 8 buses at Queen St sitting with another 6 around the block and they were departing every 5 minutes when service was 2-3 minutes. The photo was shot a week ago.

As for Streetcars, some drivers don't care to the point other driver chew them out for backing up the system as well inspector/supervisors with no results. Seen all St Clair cars in one end of the system more times than enough.

Back