News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

That's what stands out with this building, the glass.

I have not been warm to this building...but that photo does it a lot of justice. Damn dirty apes.

(and I actually like the facade of the old building. I think it works well at street level and adds nice texture and contrast to this area of Bay Street.)

I'll tell you what, lowering those fins made a big difference ... as silly as it sounds.

if you want architects and developers to alter or heighten projects go out and create profit in canadian corporations! you know, generate billions for all those law firms, banks and insurance companies, consequently necessitating new office space.

the height of the buildings in toronto are reflective of the success and demand of companies. there was a recent article explaining how BAC, RBC and Telus, while complete and financially safe, will have initial difficulty filling out their tenant space.

i say instead of hoping for supertalls, we strive for aesthetic excellence and uniqueness.

Maybe Toronto should do what many other world citys are doing with their talls and supertalls, and have a mixed use office/condo, office/hotel. It only makes sense if you cant fill more than 20-30 stories of office space to build the residences above. Bay + Adelaide would be a great location for something like that.

Here is an example of the floors diagram of the 82 storey Shard in London.

floorsdiagram1.jpg

What exactly does heat rejection and plants mean?? Are they putting a giant greenhouse on the top. It does take up five floors.

What exactly does heat rejection and plants mean?? Are they putting a giant greenhouse on the top. It does take up five floors.

In this context, "plants" to Britons refers to mechanical rooms.

Edit: Note there is another such "plant" on floors 29-30.

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOH..wow, was I way off! :eek:. Why would that much space need to be dedicated to mechanical though??

OOOH..wow, was I way off! :eek:. Why would that much space need to be dedicated to mechanical though??

I've no idea, except to offer the observation that in such a design the usable floor space decreases dramatically on the upper levels. The space dedicated to mechanical may only equal 2-3 full-plan floors in a conventional design.

Quick question: does a specified building height include the mechanicals (ie. to the top of the building), or just the top of the residential floors? Thanks.

In the context of zoning by-laws, height generally does not include mechanical penthouses. Depending on the type of roof (mansard, flat, gable, etc.), height is measured differently. In Vaughan for example (because I have the zoning by-law in front of me), chimneys, towers, steeples, elevators, mechanical rooms and television antennas are not included in the height. Each municipality will have their own variation of the definition of building height, but for the most part the same elements are included or excluded across each place.

Interesting question. I would say a mech. floor midway up a building is included as heights are measured from the ground (usually elevation of the centreline of the road that the building fronts onto) to the top of the building roof. It would be inclusive of all floors. By this it would mean that the mechanical floor in BAC at the top would be included in the building height, which contradicts the previous definition.

If it was a case where the mechanical takes up an entire floor it I would say it is included, as opposed to a mechanical room such as on the top of Telus Tower, for example, whcih would not be included.

Interpreting zoning by-law definitions can be a pain sometimes.

Hi all, just discovered the urban toronto board and thought I should say hello because I am responsible for the photo posted above:
3378906001_5e0aa3e19a.jpg

I was not at all familiar with the Bay Adelaide Centre before reading about it here. I was curious as to why that particular photo on my flickr page had received so many views so I did a bit of sleuthing which led me here. Glad to hear that it was of interest. Aaanyhow, the photo was taken last week from the 38th floor of the Sheraton (room 14 in case anyone is curious). My friend and I were actually quite interested in the building because at night it appears that you can sort of see through it to the structure behind. Here's a (not so great) pic that was taken at night:
3387667087_66a254e3e2.jpg

Back