News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Please tell me that I am not the only one who hates these corporate logos on the buildings (for purely aesthetic reasons). Anyone? Anyone?

No, alklay, you are not the only one. I love TD Centre and part of it is the fact there are no logos on the building. Same with the Royal Bank Plaza towers. I can live with the TD logo on the TD Canada Trust Tower as it is part of the design of the top of the tower, but I prefered the original Canada Trust logo with the red light as it was a nice beacon in the skyline at night.

I find it funny that there is all this excitement over the installation of a sign.

Please tell me that I am not the only one who hates these corporate logos on the buildings (for purely aesthetic reasons). Anyone? Anyone?

I don't hate the logos but i would have rather had Bay Adelaide logo free. being logo free just keeps the building the way it was meant to be seen (the logo is just added to the final design). but then again, the logo adds some eye candy as the building itself is VERY bare :)

it all depends on the building for me, with some buildings they aren't really nescessary, but with others it gives the building some flair and makes it unique, like steveve said, since bay adelaide is so plain a logo benefits it quite well in my opinion

Evening shots of the now lit, KPMG sign on the north side. I shot with the fastest ISO that I have (1600) so sorry about the overexposure in a few of the shots.

that fact that you shot with ISO1600 is not the reason that the sign is over exposed in 2 of the images. The reason is that the camera is taking a light reading of the whole scene and making the best compromise to give a balanced exposure and the sign is much brighter than the average of the whole scene. If you expose the image for just the light from the sign, then the rest of the frame will be underexposed as it is in shot #3. The only way to get a perfect result is to do multiple exposures and blend them together.

Fantastic shots though, regardless! (I just cant help giving technical advice about cameras)

I love the logos. Anything that brings more colour to the night time skyline is two thumbs up for me.

I feel the same. We have an affinity for them here, more so than any city in North America, save Las Vegas.

Maybe its a way of making up for understated Toronto architecture?

Most major cities are littered with corporate signs on their skyscrapers. It's hardly a Toronto phenomenon.

Most major cities are littered with corporate signs on their skyscrapers. It's hardly a Toronto phenomenon.

The skyscraperpage diagrams of NY and Chicago show only one logo on their combined first pages. Though I agree it is a common phenomenon around the world, especially in Asia, there is significance to the fact that FCP held the record for the highest sign in the world until 1997.

Financial District architecture is hardly understated anyway. But this tower is plain and anonymous. In some photos, you can barely notice it's even there. The sign gives the building some identity.

The original signs on the Modernist towers downtown had the sophisticated logos of the banks which could be considered attractive finishing touches.

The original signs on the Modernist towers downtown had the sophisticated logos of the banks which could be considered attractive finishing touches.

Agreed. The simplicity of modernist office towers benefit from the shape and colours of logos. This building certainly has more character with the logo. I'm looking forward to seeing the other 3 sides go up. Does anyone know why it took so long to get them up?

I love the logos. Anything that brings more colour to the night time skyline is two thumbs up for me.

I agree.. especially from a distance.
Anyone who has driven on the 401 at night time (looking south towards the city) knows that the only distinguishable buildings from that distance are the logos of TD (the green light), Scotia (the Red light), and BMO (the blue light). so yes, logos really make their mark on the skyline at night. if you're the head of a company, you want your logo to be seen. especially miles away at night (even though you can't make the lettering out with the naked eye. :D

I agree.. especially from a distance.
Anyone who has driven on the 401 at night time (looking south towards the city) knows that the only distinguishable buildings from that distance are the logos of TD (the green light), Scotia (the Red light), and BMO (the blue light). so yes, logos really make their mark on the skyline at night. if you're the head of a company, you want your logo to be seen. especially miles away at night (even though you can't make the lettering out with the naked eye. :D

Same coming south on Hwy. 404 around Markham when I return from visiting the family up north. When they come into view it makes me feel good that I'm almost home again.

Back