News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I don't know, I always see recreational cyclists with helmets and sunglasses looking down while playing very loud music on their earphones. They may be looking for obstacles but not for incoming trains.

The multiple gates were overkill but some mechanism to slow people down and raise awareness of the train crossing wouldn't be out of place.

Also, there should be a small report with information about entryways to the Gatineau-Hydro Corridor and ways in which you can connect to nearby landmarks from it coming out this fall.

Gates are needed at railway crossings. Unless you forbid deaf people from riding bicycles.

Gates are needed at railway crossings. Unless you forbid deaf people from riding bicycles.

Deaf people aren't forbidden from driving and there are plenty of unprotected railway crossings in this province.

Besides, there are still big, flashing lights right next to the bike path at this location as well.

While not necessarily bike paths, this is a link to an article on A field guide to North American bike lanes: How to talk about each species.

Zach1r.jpg

New York City's 8th Avenue

zach2r.jpg

A protected bike lane on Chicago’s Kinzie Street

zach3r.jpg

A one-way protected bike lane on Portland’s NE Multnomah Boulevard

zach4r.jpg

A two-way protected bike lane on Washington D.C.’s 15th Street

zach6r.jpg

Philadelphia’s Spruce Street buffered lane. Image: Kyle Gradinger

zach5r.jpg

A conventional bike lane in Vancouver, B.C.

I disagree with those cyclists who oppose the lanes on harbord. However they are implemented it, I think it's important to have separated lanes as a rule. I believe it would be easier to go back and improve signaling and markings after the fact than to put in the separated lanes in the first place.

in addition, while Sherbourne may be the worst separated lane in the world, it is one of the best lanes in the city simply because it is separated. I have never personally had a problem with people blocking the lane... admittedly I don't use it regularly.

Separated lanes on Harbord make sense even if just to have a network of solid inclusive infrastructure extending through wellesley, going down Sherbourne, and connecting with the waterfront. Imagine going from basically The Annex down to Sugar Beach or the St. Lawrence Market riding for 90% of the time on separated bicycle lanes. People of all ages and levels of experience can give it a try!

Wouldn't that keep them *in* the bike lanes and no-parking areas?

Seriously though, why don't we use wheel clamps/boots here? They seem like such an effective deterrent.

Seriously though, why don't we use wheel clamps/boots here? They seem like such an effective deterrent.
Certainly in the short term, but combine the clamp with a first offense fine equal to to the $450 you pay for parking in handicapped, fire routes or near hydrants, http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=14b6a84c9f6e1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD Add to this a $200 unclamping fee. Second offense would be $900 plus the unclamping fee.

With massive fines the days of the mobile shredder and others blocking bike lanes like the below will be a thing of the past.

11372036_383232855205672_538297701_n.jpg

of course when TPS parking enforcement parks in the bike lanes, well, then we're screwed I suppose.

ParkingEnforcement.img_assist_custom-500x308.jpg

I'd still want clamping to be done by the gov't as opposed to private contractors as is done in the UK. There's a lot of abuse in that case.

Back