News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This strikes me as a very poorly thought-out "plan."

For example, living in a newer condo, I have to wonder how things will have changed energy-wise when/if I move in a few years? I'm surrounded on all sides by other units and have one wall with windows. I can't change those windows by myself, and they probably won't be changed for decades. So I, and every subsequent owner of this unit, get to pay for an audit that provides absolutely nothing at all useful to either the owner or prospective buyer.

It's a little idiotic.

It's also hard to see how reasonable comparisons will be made between buildings.

Honestly, if the government is so serious about energy consumption, why don't they change the building code to reflect that concern?

This is a tax-grab idea lifted from Britain - my mother had to pay 300 Pounds for one last fall. Someone came in and told her she had to replace all her lightbulbs, and then wrote up a report that she had to make available before she could sell her house.

Over there it's referred to as the HIP - Home Information Pack. Buyers ignore it and buy the place they want, as they always do. Money changes hands, and a few bureaucrats with ballpoint pens and clipboards get to nose around other peoples' homes and scribble things down on sheets of paper.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/BuyingAndSellingYourHome/Homeinformationpacks/DG_171807

My poor parents are going to think it's 1968 all over again....they'll start seeing Soviet tanks rolling through the streets. Oh me oh my.

I'm with Hydrogen on this one. I work in construction on mostly single residential projects and some institutional and commercial projects and the crap they get away with building is ridiculous! I'm talking about the ecological facets of house construction here (I'm not even going to mention the quality of materials and the worksmanship).

Simple things like proper insulation are as foreign ideas to some of these builders. You wouldn't believe it.

I think it should start there; in the construction of the homes. Strict and mandatory guidelines for ecological building.

We can start the Gestapo going if all else has been tried and people are still wasting energy.

My case is similar to that of Hydrogen. Unless the builder totally f-ed up with the project there should be no need for this audit in my new building anytime in the near future. If anything this should be put on the builder, not the homeowner. And it shouldn't punish those who bought older homes either unless the government wants to pay to renovate them.

These creeping money-grabs are proof positive the government has it in for the people who can still afford to pay but are least likely to start storming the barricades and lining the bloody politicians against the wall over it. This is really getting out of hand.

I just can't stand it how Canadians let their government(s) interfere in their lives. If I want to keep my old windows and run the heat all day, that's my business, I'll pay for the service. Government works for us, not the other way round.

I just can't stand it how Canadians let their government(s) interfere in their lives. If I want to keep my old windows and run the heat all day, that's my business, I'll pay for the service. Government works for us, not the other way round.

Electricity is subsidized in Ontario... I don't want to pay for your wasteful usage.

I just can't stand it how Canadians let their government(s) interfere in their lives.

You're not Canadian, you just live here?
Of course, everything is better in the UK...the place you left (or got kicked out of), including personal freedoms, cost of living, availability of goods, the list is endless....:rolleyes: The UK government never gets in anyone's face!

absolutely:

unionjackbritainxxxxes5.jpg

*/rose tinted spectacles mode off/:rolleyes:

When my mother recieved her copy of the HIP report she was amazed to see that it included a copy of my father's death certificate, because he had died after they had bought the house jointly. It struck her as an invasion of privacy, since another copy goes to the purchaser. One wonders if our version of this thing will contain similar shocks for residents of this Province selling their homes?

Back