News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I hope I'm imagining it, but it looks like 89-91 Bloor West (the old MAC spot) is back on the market. The sub-lease signs appear to be plastered on the windows again. Please, someone, tell me I'm dead wrong here.

It would have been great wouldn't it :D Does anyone know why Tiffany & Co moved?

The new store has a larger selling floor as it is on two floors; its about 2000 square feet smaller, but has a much better flow (the old store had a third floor that was used only for appointments).

Hue's Kitchen has closed. Sign in the window saying that they will reopen at Carlton and Parliament.

Burg's has opened in their new location a bit south of their original location.

It has been confirmed. COS is opening on bloor!

On another note. I'm presently in Miami. Just got back from sawgrass mall and dropped by the design district neighborhood. It just blows my mind how they have all these upscale stores. The design district has multiple stores opening at once. Crazy!!! On bloor we are getting COS. Boohoo.
I get it. Miami has tourists. Latin tourists. But R they buying that much that the city can afford so many luxury neighborhoods?
I just hope with all this construction on bloor and Yorkville, we are going to get some. I'm personally not a fan of yorkdale becoming high End shopping destination. We need it to be in the city so that it can attract more.

My 2 cents worth.

On another note. I'm presently in Miami. Just got back from sawgrass mall and dropped by the design district neighborhood. It just blows my mind how they have all these upscale stores. The design district has multiple stores opening at once. Crazy!!! On bloor we are getting COS. Boohoo.
I get it. Miami has tourists. Latin tourists. But R they buying that much that the city can afford so many luxury neighborhoods?
I just hope with all this construction on bloor and Yorkville, we are going to get some. I'm personally not a fan of yorkdale becoming high End shopping destination. We need it to be in the city so that it can attract more.

My 2 cents worth.

The Miami area has a lot of wealthy visitors from the northern states who visit/live there during the winter months. Plus the state of Florida is the third largest state in the country, with a population of nearly 20 million.

I'm not a fan of yorkdale becoming high End shopping destination either, but i can't blame people going to Yorkdale to shop, when it's -20 out or when it's snowing.

Last edited:

My 2 cents worth.

If Toronto built a district specifically for high end boutiques to set up shop, I'm sure they would show up in similar numbers as in Miami. It's true Miami receives several wealthy Latin American tourists, but Toronto not only has more local wealth, it receives far more high end tourism from China and the Middle East. Toronto's biggest problem isn't whether or not brands can be supported here - it's lack of adequate space. I think that point has been made a trillion times over now. Hence the fact that Yorkdale is attracting several high end brands ahead of Yorkville. I don't disagree with you that it would be preferable to have these stores open in Yorkville first, but any brand wanting to enter the market would rather get space in a high producing mall than sit on the sidelines indefinitely.

Time will tell if Miami can support all that luxury. My gut feel is probably not. You also have to consider if many of these stores are corporate or franchise. My suspicion is franchise. Toronto tends to be more of a corporate store market so it takes longer, as the brand itself is the one taking the risk, not the franchisee. Look at Russia - if I'm not mistaken, about 90% of all the luxury stores were operated by one or maybe two franchisees.

If Toronto built a district specifically for high end boutiques to set up shop, I'm sure they would show up in similar numbers as in Miami. It's true Miami receives several wealthy Latin American tourists, but Toronto not only has more local wealth, it receives far more high end tourism from China and the Middle East. Toronto's biggest problem isn't whether or not brands can be supported here - it's lack of adequate space. I think that point has been made a trillion times over now. Hence the fact that Yorkdale is attracting several high end brands ahead of Yorkville. I don't disagree with you that it would be preferable to have these stores open in Yorkville first, but any brand wanting to enter the market would rather get space in a high producing mall than sit on the sidelines indefinitely.

Time will tell if Miami can support all that luxury. My gut feel is probably not. You also have to consider if many of these stores are corporate or franchise. My suspicion is franchise. Toronto tends to be more of a corporate store market so it takes longer, as the brand itself is the one taking the risk, not the franchisee. Look at Russia - if I'm not mistaken, about 90% of all the luxury stores were operated by one or maybe two franchisees.

According to a 2009 Swiss bank UBS study, Miami was ranked as the richest city in the United States, and the world's fifth-richest city in terms of purchasing power.

According to a 2009 Swiss bank UBS study, Miami was ranked as the richest city in the United States, and the world's fifth-richest city in terms of purchasing power.

That was 6 years ago. Not sure if that holds true today. I'd be very surprised if Miami was the richest city in the U.S. today. Also depends how "rich' is defined.

Back