News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Well, that's not even half as bad as Harris' deal to lease it off for 99-years.
Especially given, say, a 30 year lease would have have nearly as much revenue as a 99 year lease given time value of money.

Especially given, say, a 30 year lease would have have nearly as much revenue as a 99 year lease given time value of money.
It would have given a lot more money to the province (in terms of toll revenues). And one would think lower toll rates. Obviously they'd have to pay more up front (like they did for 407 East).

It would have given a lot more money to the province (in terms of toll revenues). And one would think lower toll rates. Obviously they'd have to pay more up front (like they did for 407 East).
I mean, the $3.1B lease deal signed by the province for a 99 year lease would probably not have been much less than 90% of that amount (eg $2.7B) for a 30 year lease, which would have been expiring in 2029. Of course, perhaps less would have been invested in upgrading the highway since then, but usually there are contractual mechanisms for compensating lessees for improvements they make that are still being amortized by the end of the lease.

I'm not sure the 30-year period was a lease. I thought it was the contract length an operating agreement - similar to what the province put in place for the 407 East. And I thought it left the province in charge of setting the toll rates, not a consortium.

Just got an email stating that the EPR for the bypass will be posted for review from June 1 to June 30.

1685021367140.png

Really? I didn't think this has started construction yet and that what was happening on Yonge was just extending the section that has four lanes.

The early work contract is to widen Yonge St through the overpass area and construct the overpass.

The Bypass itself has not had it's primary contract issued. Right now according to the Ontario Highways program, primary construction of the main contract is expected next year.

I seem to remember a similar situation when Highway 7 was widened west of Brooklin in north Whitby. That construction contract included the construction of the Highway 7 overpass over the 407, even though the 407 itself wouldn't be constructed until years later.

I believe the Doane Road interchange is planned to be funded through development charges from the subdivisions planned west of the interchange. Once enough DCs are collected from housing construction, it'll get built. As you said, it's already mostly graded, so it shouldn't be too expensive. It'll likely be built in tandem with the realignment and upgrading of Doane Rd around Leslie St, and that project needs a ton of regrading to work so won't be cheap..

Back