News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

And actually the more I think about it, being called TKYTCKY by Dame Edna, who adores kitch and tacky, is kind of a mixed signal. I know you mean it as an insult, but...also, I kinda feel like you're flirting with me; you want this tackiness for your own.

:confused:

Why say anything at all if you can only snipe?

Well, when logic and reason fail, ridicule is not far behind. It's not like he was deriding though.

And to be honest, what did you expect? You were just making it all up as you were going along, reinterpreting at will. There's a technical term for that...gobbledygook.

I know you mean it as an insult, but...also, I kinda feel like you're flirting with me

I think he was serious about the debate, but good natured in the delivery. You got off easy.

Well, when logic and reason fail, ridicule is not far behind. It's not like he was deriding though.

And to be honest, what did you expect? You were just making it all up as you were going along, reinterpreting at will. There's a technical term for that...gobbledygook.

Making what up?

It's hard to have a clean and concise conversation when you're replying to three people simultaneously.

that's exactly right. for almost 400 years, the Mona Lisa was considered to be a relatively minor, albeit very inspired, painting in the oeuvre of Leonardo. it wasn't until the rise of mass reproduction and the rise of a popular press in the late 19th century that its fame started to grow. it became the 'most famous painting in the world' on the back of its circulation as an image in cheap periodicals. its iconic status was clinched for all eternity when it was stolen in 1911--setting off the first great whodunnit in art history. it was a massive international news story, and in the 2.5 years that the Mona Lisa was missing its fame--and the mythos surrounding the "mona lisa smile"--spread all over the Western World.

So, to reinforce my point: how many people out there are actually able to articulate Mona Lisa's greatness (such as it is)? Perhaps 9 times out of 10, I'll betcha it's some variant on "it's great because we've been told it's great". It's a response to an icon, rather than to "art" per se. But in the end, the skills of analysis aren't any more developed among the masses here than with regard to something like colour-field abstraction...

I have to admit, that when in the Louvre I didn't go over to gawk at the Mona Lisa. The fact that it was behind glass, with a crowd, was offputting, and I had some idea of what I would see there anyways. There's no shortage of stuff to see.

So, you can include me in the 9/10s of the people who can't actually "see" the Mona Lisa.

Nor, by the way, have I been able to see MWB's drawing that we are all to appreciate. I guess he's still working on it. I'd think with his confidence level a week might have been enough, but I guess not.

The first time I saw the Mona Lisa was in August 1963, and even in those days it was almost impossible to get close enough to see the damned thing because of the crowds.

I did, however, get quite close to TKTKTK on Saturday. We had a lovely little chat. He's very talented. And, yes, a total hottie.

The first time I saw the Mona Lisa was in August 1963, and even in those days it was almost impossible to get close enough to see the damned thing because of the crowds.

its totally beside the point but i am extremely envious of the fact that you were in Paris in August 1963.

breathless.jpg

Back