Votes: 11 26.2%
  • So So

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What’s causing the speculation is the drilling rig parked on site. Unless it is parked there, temporarily for another project, the only reason it would be there is for construction related purpose.
That's what I was thinking as well. The driller makes me think there could be construction coming, particularly in the NW corner. Maybe they are replacing that section for now?

1678132081137.png

I think they would have just extended the development permit and if construction was going to happen they’d for sure be in for building permit by now.

All signs point to clearing the site.
I still wonder what the drilling rig would be there for? The sites already been cleared.

Edit: Oh okay, if it's owned by a demo company, then must be part of the the demolition :(

I think they would have just extended the development permit and if construction was going to happen they’d for sure be in for building permit by now.

All signs point to clearing the site.
This. I would be very surprised if you weren't correct. I don't think Grosvenor has an appetite to build high-rises in Calgary anymore, and i would be willing to bet they may have not received the bids they wanted in the previous offering they had in 2019 probably because of demo costs on the existing structure(s). So they will probably clear the site, create temp parking and maybe market it again and hopefully a builder will perceive it as less risky and the land can change hands to someone that plans to develop it. Best guess anyways.

The original proposal was really nice, some version of it would be good to see - I'd imagine that even if the Grosvenor plans change completely, a couple towers plus retail at a high density urban treatment is likely. Combined the site is large enough for something really serious in scale and intensity here, far beyond what the area has currently. The block itself will fit a ton of density, but it also is fairly close to ground-zero for a far more urban future of Calgary. As impressive as the city centre has been growing the past few decades, the walkable retail catchment population 30 years from now on this site will be absolutely massive and dwarf today's numbers.

What would be pretty cool is a pedestrian-oriented retail wrap, combined with a movie theatre above + some towers. It's a staple of Canadian "big city" design - Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto already have multiple of these. It's our turn and would complement the urban format box store cluster over at 8th Street & 17th Ave as another serious anchor of retail activity.

Hopefully we don't get a dirt patch or parking lot for too long.

Having the office building come down is a good thing overall and long term, but sucks that it'll probably be a parking lot for a while.
This corner can have a lot of potential for temporary use that should not be automatically designated to parking - and most definitely not to be fenced out either like this wasted space:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.037...18.904284&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

But instead to utilize the space for a temporary Cartopia style concept like the one in Portland https://www.cartopiafoodcarts.com/

I can't imagine this will sit empty for toooo long. This must be one of the best blank slate sites in the entire city. It's a huge parcel on the intersection of two of Calgary's most prominent main streets
Whatever they do there, it better not be a one story plaza like the one to the west of it.

That depends on whether the owner has plans to build in the immediate future and they can pre-lease the space. An occupied, disposable sttuco box beats a parking or weed lot.

Back