News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

3rd St SW downtown is getting a make-over and it looks like they would like to include a bike lane. A lot of people use this street to walk between Stephen Ave and Eau Claire so I think adding a wheeling lane makes a lot of sense. A bit ironic though that the wheeling lane only goes as far as 3rd Ave given the City is about to rip out the 3rd Ave cycletrack they installed there a few years ago.

3rd St SW downtown is getting a make-over and it looks like they would like to include a bike lane. A lot of people use this street to walk between Stephen Ave and Eau Claire so I think adding a wheeling lane makes a lot of sense. A bit ironic though that the wheeling lane only goes as far as 3rd Ave given the City is about to rip out the 3rd Ave cycletrack they installed there a few years ago.

The map shows the proposed track extending to 2nd Ave and then connecting to the new Eau Claire plaza, which is great.

However, if the city pulls out the 3rd ave cycletrack that is a big loss to our limit dedicated cycling infrastructure. It's incredibly frustrating that the city feels taking the circuitous route along the river pathway with limited connections to the north south connnectors and businesses people want to go to along with increased conflicts with recreational pathway users is a viable alternative to a direct east west separated cycle track.

1682361438012.png

Really hope they don't eliminate all the green on this section. Sure, trees might not work but that doesn't mean you can't put something green there.

I feel like there is a significant lack of strategy around capital allocation in this City especially when it comes to urban projects.

Why are we allocating limited public realm investment dollars to what are two of the better streetscapes in downtown (Stephen Avenue and this)? Stephen is a good design that functions well and just needs some maintenance love, while Barclay is a dumb design with the zig zaggy road but still better than the average downtown streetscape. Barclay has been a failure due to the lack of streetfront retail, not due to the design. Also this seems like kind of a useless location for a bike lane, especially if it doesn't connect to the rvier path.

Wouldn't it make more sense to focus investment on improving the worst roads in downtown: 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th Aves plus Macleod NB/SB?

The map shows the proposed track extending to 2nd Ave and then connecting to the new Eau Claire plaza, which is great.

However, if the city pulls out the 3rd ave cycletrack that is a big loss to our limit dedicated cycling infrastructure. It's incredibly frustrating that the city feels taking the circuitous route along the river pathway with limited connections to the north south connnectors and businesses people want to go to along with increased conflicts with recreational pathway users is a viable alternative to a direct east west separated cycle track.
It would be a brain dead decision by the city to take away the 3rd ave track and then build one on 3rd street. Especially since the 3rd ave track actually gets a lot of use. I would say it gets more use than the 7th street track or the 8th ave track. Not only does it get a lot of use, but 3rd ave is only busy with cars for an hour or two a day, the rest of the time it's dead.
Of course the city would never be dumb enough to spend money to get rid of a track that's in use and spend $$ to build another one where it's not badly needed. 😒

lack of streetfront retail, not due to the design.
It's true, I don't like the raised beds but that's really my gripe with the street scape. The winding road likely reduces speed but for a street with next to zero reason to walk down it, that becomes a moot point. Not exactly sure who is walking down 3rd St. to get to Eau Claire? City shouldn't be sinking a lot of money into 3rd St.
It would be a brain dead decision by the city to take away the 3rd ave track and then build one on 3rd street.
I'm definitely messaging my councilor on this one.

That guy with the dog on the pathway is so typical of the mindset of people in this city, drives me nuts.

Ice on the glacier pathway still quite thick, even after all the warm weather. Will be sometime in June when it melts, unless the city get a bobcat out like they did last summer.
PXL_20230502_140617027.jpg
PXL_20230502_140702123.jpg

PXL_20230502_140713174.jpg

That guy with the dog on the pathway is so typical of the mindset of people in this city, drives me nuts.

I think this is partially an infrastructure problem. In areas where we expect there to be large amounts of foot traffic and cycle traffic, the standard multi-use path is clearly not wide enough.
Oulu does it right, with wider paths as the standard:
oulu-67.jpg

Oulu-IMG_6032-1_web.jpg

I think this is partially an infrastructure problem. In areas where we expect there to be large amounts of foot traffic and cycle traffic, the standard multi-use path is clearly not wide enough.
Oulu does it right, with wider paths as the standard:
It's a combo of things. I think walking the dog on leash on busy pathway areas like the areas around Eau Claire doesn't usually make sense. Last summer I don't know how many times I saw jam up bottle necks around EV and Eau Claire because of someone with a dog on a leash. Walking the dog on a leash in a less busy section is fine, I see that alot and it's usually not an issue.
Walking the dog on leash while on a bike, in a busy area makes no sense, it'd be better to do it out in a more remote area. I'm guessing it's probably a learning experience for some.

Back