B0A8DD96-D85D-45D6-8173-A70207610EAF.jpeg
29F5538A-BD09-4D4D-B362-B9542343FA6A.jpeg

Anyone know if they’re going to clad the roof of the arch part? It looks undone still so I wonder if they have more work on it to do.

I'm not sure I'll ever be a fan of how the BMO Centre turned out, but the interplay of curves between it and the Saddledome is great. It's as if they are taking part in the timeless art of seduction.

Enjoy it while you can!
Agreed, they look great together! Hope the new arena can compliment the design too!

Great photos. Count me in the minority, i don't seen it as THAT far off the rendering. Definity a sheen, depending on the sun angle .Thought is was an 8/10 design, 7/10 now. I dont care for multi-level convention center's for this reason...it's impossible to make blank walls look amazing, because u can't have endless windows functionally on the interior. If only 1 side was public facing, its ok. But 2+, ur asking for trouble

It’s just so sterile. Art installation is boring and not useful/functional, lots of expanses of blank walls and little street front activation. Lack of street front activation at a ´major intersection of two main streets’ leads me to believe redevelopment of the entertainment district will be mostly for parking and suburban tourists. If that’s the case it should have way more landscaping features and trees

It’s just so sterile. Art installation is boring and not useful/functional, lots of expanses of blank walls and little street front activation. Lack of street front activation at a ´major intersection of two main streets’ leads me to believe redevelopment of the entertainment district will be mostly for parking and suburban tourists. If that’s the case it should have way more landscaping features and trees
1. agree on the art
2. street front activation is never the role or function of a public convention center. It's to provide volume/scale of visitors, to support surrounding development. if you thought otherwise, then you've never been to a convention center
3. the purpose of extending 17th ave was to add a connection into stampede park bc of the LRT track...and support connections into rivers. It didn't mean "change stampede into a commercial/retail enterprise". The area was stampede exhibition space before...it still is now just WAY more modern with more space.
4. The rivers district plan's purpose is to develop the lands to the north and east of 17ave/stampede trail....the stampede doing what they do with better facilities helps that, not hurts it.

2. street front activation is never the role or function of a public convention center. It's to provide volume/scale of visitors, to support surrounding development. if you thought otherwise, then you've never been to a convention center
3. the purpose of extending 17th ave was to add a connection into stampede park bc of the LRT track...and support connections into rivers. It didn't mean "change stampede into a commercial/retail enterprise". The area was stampede exhibition space before...it still is now just WAY more modern with more space.
4. The rivers district plan's purpose is to develop the lands to the north and east of 17ave/stampede trail....the stampede doing what they do with better facilities helps that, not hurts it.
Sounds like you haven't been to a well designed convention centre. This is what the interface with 17th at the SW corner of the building should look like. Instead we got a massive precast brick wall. It's just lazy design.

Sounds like you haven't been to a well designed convention centre. This is what the interface with 17th at the SW corner of the building should look like. Instead we got a massive precast brick wall. It's just lazy design.
you pointed to a oceanwalk/parkade/olympic torch plaza NEXT to the convention center, #1 tourist location downtown, in the heart of a city. zero comparison, but please, go off. For those that want retail along 17th...what is the space coming at the expense of? You need the indoor connecting corridor, the road, the sidewalk. You can see the layouts on their sales brochure on website....

Screenshot 2023-11-23 112201.png

As someone mentioned earlier, just saying u want retail, and making it economical are two different things. This area is WITHIN stampede park, surrounded by parking. who is using these restaurants/stores M-F? Ever been to the east end of 17th? It's a deadzone. Stampede trail and the area to the north of the EC are the only locations that have a shot at being successful commercially...because people will work and live around it

Last edited:
Montreal has retail but it is mostly supported by the (now defunct?) south shore commuter bus station and subway in the basement I'd guess. Also serves the major federal government office complex a block away. Hard to keep the lights on with feast or famine convention crowds.

Last edited:
Or, you were foolish enough to think the Rivers District Master Plan actually carried some weight when handing over half a billion dollars of public money:
1700766481691.png

Note the ground floor retail potion highlighed that was supposed to line Stampede Trail, the mixed use, active festival street.

Back