Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 96 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
Building divided in two places.
Top part is meant to represent the fire.
Bottom part meant to represent the ice
And in the middle, water and steam.

I think it's fine (and I don't care as much about this building as many here), but it looks like scaffolding to me. Like it makes me want to see the real building behind that curtain.

Looks like the flame has moved from the scoreboards to the sides of the ice surface, glad they're keeping that in.

With the outdoor screen, it's odd they didn't build a space that can serve as an outdoor playoff plaza. The Edmonton's Ice District's screen was so small especially compared to Toronto.

The street level looks amazing

20240722_140419.jpeg

hmmm. It's not what i expected, but I like it.

1) Great street activation on sides, including a food hall on 12th with that heritage brick building (for the Victoria Park history lovers)...win
2) Dont love the fire fascade, but the texture is encouraging and the fire lighting is a nice touch.
3) the ice shapes add some nice contour to street level
4) roof plaza is great
5) bowl is little caesars arena, looks steep and intimate. Wish the end had windows to that plaza

Overall, 8/10. Not amazing, but a vast improvement

looking forward to seeing the permit drawings

Is there a building under the tv screen? I don’t know what to think of this design because it’s completely hidden in lighting. Is the entire outdoor wall an LED screen where the flames are? Will Murray Edwards come begging the city for cash to repair it every time a panel goes down? I wanna see the shape of this building underneath. The proportions look awkward to my eye. The entrance looks like a barnacle. Also that Scotiabank logo is obnoxiously large. Wait till another company snatches the naming rights and the shadow of that thing remains. They didn’t build the thing. They just tacked their name onto it.

The positives are the bowl looks nice and the street level is much improved over the last sterile monolith.

Last edited:
It's good. I don't mind it at all. Here's my shit sandwich breakdown.

I'll start negative... The 12 Ave and Stampede Trail corner should've had the entrance turned toward 12 Ave. I am a little worried about the materials on the lower portion.

Now the positive... I'm very happy they found a way to do an interesting but still simple exterior that will allow different lighting to bring to life. I appreciate the landscaping idea but I need more detail. Food halls is a cool idea, but not sure how busy it will be there are not a lot of business or residents in the area, at least to start, that will bring people there at noon on a Tuesday.

My biggest issue: 5A was always going to be a bit of a dud because of its function, makes me wonder if this thing was flipped and 5A was Stampede Trail and Stampede Trail was just simply 4th Street would that not have worked better? It would've been the back of house for the BMO why not make it the back of house for this too. The hotel would've connected to the parkade and practice rink for visiting teams and the synergies just seem much more obvious. You could've had 5A be your festival street, along with 12 Ave and that would have meant 4th could be all vehicle traffic, like it is now.

I'll end with what I love, the practice rink, under some kind of plaza! Completely makes sense and give you the opportunity for more exterior activation. The bowl design is also great I love that all you see is seats and not a broken up bowl with club seating after club seating. I want to know more about the end that seems to have more of stacked suite/bar area under the banners.

Big improvement. The function took priority, but it still looks great. Lots of flexibility with the LED screen. I just hope they don't use it as a giant billboard.

Is there a building under the tv screen? I don’t know what to think of this design because it’s completely hidden in lighting. Is the entire outdoor wall an LED screen where the flames are? Will Murray Edwards come begging the city for cash to repair it every time a panel goes down? I wanna see the shape of this building underneath. The proportions look awkward to my eye. The entrance looks like a barnacle. Also that Scotiabank logo is obnoxiously large. Wait till another company snatches the naming rights and the shadow of that thing remains. They didn’t build the thing. They just tacked their name onto it.

just say you hated the idea the whole time and nothing they did was going to suffice

Back