News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Notice the license plate? Sask.
I mean, I could excuse an out of towner driving onto 7th Avenue but if you can't notice or choose to ignore a massive sign reading DANGER DO NOT ENTER ROAD IMPASSABLE, multiple do not enter signs, and a literal pit in the road, there's not many excuses to be made

It was no Lambo, but I miss my fun car. Sadly, I was a dumb-dumb and sold it last fall.

Some seasonably appropriate memories.

16662004516_7f9d3361bb_c.jpg

16686606941_60b3c184e2_c.jpg

23570409515_3e2f8d7994_c.jpg

Gorgeous! How long did you own it for? There was quite a bit of upside on air cooled 911s you hopeully were able to take advantage of. Getting anything new to replace it?

I had it for about 7-8 years. And yeah part of the reason I sold it was because of the insane rise in value. It went from being the dirt cheap red-headed stepchild of the air-cooled 911 community, to being the air-cool model everyone suddenly wanted. For me it went from a car I could daily and have fun in (those photos I posted were taken in the first year of ownership)... to becoming something that felt like I needed to treat like a museum piece.

Great car, but worth 6x what I paid for it? I dunno about that. Although now it's more like 7x ha, and I still miss it. I hope at some point I can get an air-cooled again, but I'm not sure I can ever justify (or afford) another one.

I currently have a 996 Targa. It's another gen that gets a bad rap, but they are awesome cars, especially for the price. Best value in 911 these days.

34656622565_55d693298b_b.jpg

34554631383_cf57678833_b.jpg

That is exactly how I feel about my NSX these days. I still love it, but it is getting older and more valuable. I am still below 100,000 kms on it (but creeping closer every year). Part of me thinks, should I cash in? But, then what do I replace it with? Right now, I am keeping an eye on the ever shrinking delta between my NA1 and the price of the NC1 NSX that came out. In another year or two, I might make the jump over.

Personally, I look at that first-get NSX and think it's a no brainer to keep. That thing is the ultimate 90s Japanese classic...looks stunning, drives great, and from a value retention perspective it might as well be a bar of gold.

But hey, if you've had your fun and it's time for something else, I get it. I guess the good thing is that you and I have atleast had the experience of owning these cars. Imagine being the guy who was saving up for his dream car, who saw his chance slip away as prices skyrocketed the last few years. Better to have loved and lost, as they say.

Sometimes I get tempted by newer cars, but I keep coming back to the childhood classic. The one newer car that does tempt me quite a bit though is the Lexus LC 500. With that NA V8, and one of the best interiors I've ever seen no matter what the price range, it's another guaranteed future classic. Still well out of my price range, but keeping my eyes on it for the future.

About 40% of the time, I lean towards the thoughts of keeping it. Any other person I talk to who owns one, or knows someone who has owned and sold, says the biggest regret was selling it. In my ideal world, I keep the NA1, AND get the NC1. However, it is hard enough to justify with my wife why a good chunk of the garage is taken up by a car that doesn't get driven all that often..... plus, the proceeds of the sale would be what funds the new one. It is more the realization that any work done on it (which has been extremely minimal, thanks to the legendary reliability of 90s Honda) is going to be harder and harder to do as the car gets older, parts get harder to obtain, etc... Your exact line about a museum piece, I have thought to myself as well. Do I become a caretaker of an antqiue, or sell it to collector who makes it number 6 in their collection that will properly preserve it.

I had the front repainted this summer (clear coat was peeling after 31 years) and a few of the shops around town that specialize in exotics (Maranellos for instance) wouldn't do it, because they said if they broke a clip taking the bumper off, the replacement ones are no longer available. Sort of was the catalyst for a lot of these thoughts. Horton Autobody did the work, and did a fantastic job on it. But still, was the first time I had a shop turn away the work because of the "difficulty" of workign on the car.

Last edited:
Clearly what you need is an NA1 parts car to ensure future viability of the prime NA1. And then of course the NC1 as the daily driver.

But yeah, having both the old and the new is the dream. There was a magical 4-5 month period when I had the newly bought 964, and a Cayman in the garage. Obviously that didn't last very long as I sold the Cayman, but that was probably my life's apex in terms of living the classic/modern ownership dream.

Last edited:
How do you like the 996 Targa? Does the roof squeek (biggest "issue" I have heard of them). I always loved that style of Targa, with the full glass roof. I sunburn too easily, so no convertibles for me, so thought that full glass roof would be a nice compromise. Before 996s started going up in price with all Porsches, I almost picked one up (do you remember in late 2015 / early 2016 when they could be found in the mid 20s?). My wife likes Porsches, so if there was ever an actual realistic scenario where I have 2 impractical sportscars in the house, one would be for her, as a 911. I need the market to get back to normal though before that becomes a reality. A nice 997.2 Targa is my ideal one, with the pdk (wife can't drive a manual, and has no interest in learning).

The Targa is awesome. I'm typically not a convertible guy (just don't like to be on display so much), but this gives you 75% of the convertible feeling on the days when you want it. Having the roof open on a nice day is the best…and the rest of the time when it’s closed you have this great glass bubble. One of my issues with modern cars is how tank-like they feel with their thick columns, high beltlines, and low roofs. This is the polar opposite... there's glass for days! I have a lighter interior too which makes it feel all the more open.

There are two (potentially 3) downsides:
1) There are definitely some squeaks to get over. More so in when you're driving slow or when you first start (almost as if the glass/rubber has to warm up, ha). There are ways to mitigate them a bit, but it will never be a coupe. Not a game changer unless you are really OCD.
2) At higher speed if the roof is open you naturally get wind buffeting. Not terrible, but gets annoying at highway speeds. I find it best to have the targa top open around town, or when driving under 80 or so (ie nice country roads).
3) There’s potentially a higher bill if something goes wrong. I know a lot of people avoid the 993 Targa’s because of this, but I haven’t heard terrible things about the 996/997. But I’m sure it’s not cheap if you have to replace something.

20230416_175922.jpg

The little glass-only hatch in the back is also quite practical.

image-2.png

Last edited:
A nice 997.2 Targa is my ideal one, with the pdk (wife can't drive a manual, and has no interest in learning).

Yeah, the 997.2 years are definitely great...a nice sweet-spot between the visceral older cars, and the 991/992 that are probably too fast to really enjoy. Although having driven one, I honestly don't see a massive difference between it and the 996 from a driving perspective, especially since they are the same platform. It's sort of the same difference between a 964 and 993...updated look and more refined around the edges, but more or less the same car underneath. Except the 997 is twice the cost of a 996. The 996 is definitely not as cheap as it used to be, but you can still get a nice one in the 30s (ie https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/911/airdrie/alberta/5_59049493_20220517144730864/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=6_11_11&pc=T2M 3K6&sprx=100&modalXS=1). In terms of bang for buck, they are the best value out there (apart from perhaps a $15K Boxster...or a Miata).

At higher speed if the roof is open you naturally get wind buffeting. Not terrible, but gets annoying at highway speeds.
I wonder if the new targa setup is better at this.

The CLK55 AMG convertible is a dream to drive at highway speeds with the top down, supposedly even better with a wind screen behind the seats which we don't have.

I wonder if the new targa setup is better at this.

I kind of doubt it? Unless they now have some ability to let the air pressure out, you still have the hatchback pocket trapping all the air.

The Autopian had an article about this a while ago: https://www.theautopian.com/why-win...ks-and-how-to-possibly-fix-it/comment-page-1/

You basically need something like a lifted hatch or window slit, to let the air pressure out. Convertibles of course don't have this issue, as there's plenty of ways for the air to escape.

Back