News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Went to the game Saturday, they have a dj for the warm up but that’s it, seems pretty easy to integrate that for full game entertainment.

Also first time I’ve ever seen someone win the “minute to win it” competition. Took about 19 seconds for the Flames to score and send the guy to Vegas! Pretty cool

Huberdeau is here for at least 5 years of his contract. No way the Flames trade him without keeping at least half of his salary, and a buyout isn't an option as we see. So get used to him in red.

Reactions: AJX
Well, since Montreal gets out 1st round pick this year, the team might as well try and be competitive. It's a foregone conclusions we are going to lose players at the end of the year, so might as well have them play good and up their trade value.

I forgot about Montreal getting the first rounder. Either way, next year they're going to suck, and that year will be better for the picks.

since Montreal gets out 1st round pick this year
Not so fast @Mountain Man from: https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-crazy-conditions-flames-1st-round-pick/

I've underlined the most likely outcome.

Flames Trade Monahan and a First-Round Pick to the Canadiens​

For future considerations, the Canadiens acquired Monahan and a conditional 2025 first-round pick from the Flames. They needed to free up cap space to sign free agent (FA) Nazim Kadri, which they did soon after for $7 million annual average value (AAV) over seven seasons. The Canadiens will use the cap relief from Price’s LTIR to cover Monahan’s $6.3 million price tag and probably sign Kirby Dach.

The pick has conditions involving both the Flames’ pick and the other first-round pick they acquired earlier in the offseason from the Panthers in the Matthew Tkachuk trade. That pick also has conditions which could affect the Canadiens if they end up with Florida’s pick instead of the Flames’ pick, so essentially there are conditions on the conditions of the conditional picks involved—confused yet?

Panther’s Trade With Flyers Has Implications​

The Panthers traded for Claude Giroux just before the 2022 Trade Deadline, which involved their 2024 first-round pick. Florida then traded their 2025 first-round pick to Calgary in the offseason for Tkachuk; both picks have conditions of their own which will affect the conditions of whichever first-round pick the Canadiens are receiving from the Flames.

The conditions on the Panthers/Flyers are as follows: if the Panthers’ first-round pick in 2024 is in the top 10, then the pick the Flyers receive is transferred to 2025, and the Flames’ first-round pick in the Tkachuk trade is moved to the 2026 season. If the Panthers’ 2025 pick is first or second overall, then Calgary receives Florida’s 2026 first-round pick. Although these conditions probably won’t happen, they still need to be considered in case they do.

(My own note: Panthers are currently 11 in the league standings, if they end up there the flyers get the 2024 Panthers pick and the Flames get the 2025 pick)

The Multiple Scenarios of the Conditional Pick sent to Montreal:
Here is a deep dive into the multiple conditions and outcomes of the conditional pick that the Canadiens are receiving from the Flames:

Scenario 1 – 2025 First-Round Pick
The Canadiens initially received the Flames’ 2025 first-round pick; however, if the 2024 first-round pick is between 20-32 of the 2024 Draft, then the Habs can decide within 48 hours of the 2024 Draft to use that pick instead. If the pick is not between 20-32, or they choose not to take the 2024 first-round pick, then the Canadiens receive either Calgary’s 2025 first-round pick or Florida’s first-round pick, depending on whether or not the Flames get the Panthers’ pick.

(My own note: Flames are currently 23rd in league standings, meaning they would pick 10th if they end up there. Montreal gets a 2025 first)

Scenario 2: Calgary Receives Florida’s 2025 First-Round Pick
Several things could happen if the Flames receive the Panthers’ 2025 first-round pick. If Calgary’s first-round pick is in the top 10 and Florida’s isn’t, then Montreal gets the Florida pick. If both picks are not in the top 10, then the Habs get the better 2025 first-round pick.

(My own note: Which 2025 Flames first will not be determined until the end of the 2025 season)

Scenario 3: Calgary Doesn’t Receive Florida’s First-Round Pick
Montreal gets the Flames’ 2025 first-round pick if it is not in the top 10. If Florida’s first-round pick isn’t in the top 10 and is transferred to another team – to the Flyers or traded after a lottery win – and their 2025 pick is better than the Flames’ 2025 draft pick, Montreal will get an additional fourth-round pick plus Calgary’s first-round pick.

Scenario 4: Flames Have the First Pick in the 2025 Draft
If Calgary somehow manages to get the first overall pick in the 2025 Draft, Montreal will receive the Flames’ 2025 third-round pick and the Flames’ 2026 first-round pick. If the Flames are drafting anywhere from two to 10, then the Canadiens will still get the Flames’ 2025 first-round draft pick.

My point being, don't cheer for the flames to be good because you want to screw the Habs, the most likely scenario is the flames will make this year's pick. I actually think they might not suck next year, with so many UFAs it is impossible to predict what the roster will look like.

I knew there were conditions on the pick, but damn! And, I'm not cheering for them to screw Montreal, I'm cheering for them because I like entertaining hockey games.

With Zary and Sharangovich playing so well now, I wonder if we are already ahead in our rebuild. A few more picks to stock the cupboards and we might be in good shape.

I knew there were conditions on the pick, but damn! And, I'm not cheering for them to screw Montreal, I'm cheering for them because I like entertaining hockey games.

With Zary and Sharangovich playing so well now, I wonder if we are already ahead in our rebuild. A few more picks to stock the cupboards and we might be in good shape.
Fair my language was a bit strong. Those conditions are nuts, makes it hard for even hardcore fans to keep up.

It is fun to have prospects surprise, there are likely a few more on the way. To me, what Vegas and Seattle to an extent have shown is that there are good hockey players out there that just need a chance. Flames should be in position late in the season to get a good look at what they currently have. Knowing how the flames operate, they will not want a long timeline out of playoff contention. I see them going for a one-and-done when it comes to not trying to make the playoffs. They will not go full tear down but picking a few extra times this year and giving yourself cap space for next year by letting the UFAs go is not the worst thing to do.

The team should be setup to peak going into the new building with young guys they maybe pick this summer or have picked within the last couple drafts taking top-line roles and driving the team forward. when's the building set to be done 27-28 season, you have 3 offseason to go, make it count (as Gene Raymond would say).

Not sure if anyone is following the Jrs, but the Czechs just beat Canada in the quarter final. This is never a good result for us...

How about Coleman?! that guy is on a tear, who would have thought he would have nearly double the points Huberdeau does 1/3 of the way through the season.
Really happy for Coleman but to be a stick in the mud, it is never good when your third-line winger is leading the team.

Huberdeau is just going from bad to worse, he's basically the laughing stock of the league now. Teams should have a minimum performance clause in contracts that allow them to terminate is a player completely underperforms like this.
NHL players might have a salary cap but their contract essentially being guaranteed is a huge benefit for them. Personally I think 10 has been much better but he couldn't have gotten any worse... 2024 should be very interesting for the flames. Trade deadline is two months away (March 8 I believe), then there's the offseason and the start to next year.

Back