News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Toffoli, Backlund, Lindholm, and Hanifin are basically confirmed to be on their way out according to Seravalli. We're gonna be diving head first into a complete rebuild. The Flames could end up with 5 first round selections in this year's entry draft if we play our cards right.

In some ways, I’m disappointed those players are leaving, in other ways, I am relieved. It makes the planning going forward easier now that we are forced into a rebuild.
And if I’m being honest, I’m not too surprised they are leaving. The outlook for the Flames beyond next season was already pointing to a rebuild, and then the flames bringing a head coach, who hasn’t coached in the NHL before, if you’re a veteran player with a chance to contribute to a contender somewhere, you are definitely wanting to move.

There are rumblings that the Flames are in on Konecny and Duclair, which is terrible news for us if we go for it. It's potentially to appease Murray Edwards and his desire to never rebuild. We need to rip off the bandaid, and if we focus on getting as much futures as possible right now we could potentially be very good again in just a couple years - as opposed to doing a Vancouver-style "retool" where some good prospects gradually trickle in over a decade but the timing never works out to form a team capable of actually competing for a cup.

There are rumblings that the Flames are in on Konecny and Duclair, which is terrible news for us if we go for it. It's potentially to appease Murray Edwards and his desire to never rebuild. We need to rip off the bandaid, and if we focus on getting as much futures as possible right now we could potentially be very good again in just a couple years - as opposed to doing a Vancouver-style "retool" where some good prospects gradually trickle in over a decade but the timing never works out to form a team capable of actually competing for a cup.
Murray is the worst. Short term mediocrity for long term mediocrity.

Agreed. At this point it's obvious a rebuild is coming no matter what. With the cards the Flames have been dealt, it's time to go for it.

it's time to go for it
I like that "go for it" in this sense actually means try to be bad but is the best thing to do.

(Edit: I don't actually trust the flames to properly rebuild. It doesn't seem to ever be an option. They started one before and drafted Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, etc. but they got excited about one good season and messed it all up.)

I've also heard on podcasts from people who know people inside that Murray is cheap (not surprising). He gives short one-year deals to staff, that's no way to build a good culture.

Not sure how the Flames can fully rebuild with the contracts they signed Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri to last year. Those guys have a lot of salary tied up, and on a rebuild team they won't be playing to their value. A major chance is coming either way, fascinated to see what Conny can do at the draft. I think a big trade is coming, will it be for players or draft picks.

Not sure how the Flames can fully rebuild with the contracts they signed Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri to last year. Those guys have a lot of salary tied up, and on a rebuild team they won't be playing to their value. A major chance is coming either way, fascinated to see what Conny can do at the draft. I think a big trade is coming, will it be for players or draft picks.
They're stuck in a weird spot. The picked up those guys, which at the time seemed like a good idea. They were still a competitive team, and might still have been next season, but with those players all leaving it's clearly over, and best they can do is hope to somehow offload the players at this point. Even if it means swallowing some salary.

they signed Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri
That is only 3 players. Weegar is arguably not overpaid so you could in all likely hood move him if you really wanted. You also need players to fill out your roster in a rebuild and since you're likely not spending to the cap, it's pretty easy to stomach the salary, especially as a fan. No rebuilding team ever gives it all away.

I have zero trust in Murray to do what he needs to do. He has (I assume from what those in the know say) given Conroy order to stay competitive. This will result in mediocrity as it leaves too much to chance, namely player chemistry. Pro scouting and fancy stats cannot predict how players integrate into your room and how they will play with the players on your team. They are simply a snap shot of what player is in their current environment, the rest is theory; this guy will play well with this type of player. In the end it's a guess.

A full rebuild allows you to draft young players who play together, build chemistry, and work towards success. This teams goal should be preparing to be a team that makes the playoffs in the first year of their new building (2027-2028). In a weird way the city and ratepayers are stakeholders in the flames and their success. If the flames are not competitive and people don't want to go to Stampede Trail or the surrounding businesses the city's investment in the C+E will not come to fruition. The first year is easy, the arena will be new and exciting, how do you get people coming back? A competitive team.

Not a fan of Conny's first trade. Toffoli to NJ for Yegor Sharangovich and a 3rd round pick. So we traded a point per game player for a guy who had 30 points in 75 games last year.

Not a fan of Conny's first trade. Toffoli to NJ for Yegor Sharangovich and a 3rd round pick. So we traded a point per game player for a guy who had 30 points in 75 games last year.

Take away last year, and they have extremely similar stats. Toffoli's market was probably not huge, a 31 year old on a year left (who wants long term extention). Yegor had 24 goals at 23 years old. The question is would you rather have a 25 year old player and a 3rd or an early 2nd round pick. That is roughly what that value is. I also thought Toffoli was worth more, but it seems if Taylor Hall is worth nothing at his age, Toffoli wont be worth much either.

I was surprised by the Toffoli trade as well, but yeah I guess in the end a lot of it comes down to age. The trade value straight up for most of these players won't look great on the surface.

Back